• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jessie Bates Declares for NFL Draft

My nephew is asst director of player personnel for an NFL team. He’s coming to visit tonight. I’m gonna find out the scoop on Bates.

Best of luck to Jesse. I'm a huge fan and watching Wake players move on to the NFL is an uncommon treat. We will miss him and hope we can find an adequate replacement for him. Any uncommitted top notch safeties still on the board?

There’s a guy who is considering us and Iowa State.

The reports from spring practice that the defense had to learn a new playbook says that Sawvel is revamping the defense in s big way.

The reports from spring practice that the defense had to learn a new playbook says that Sawvel is revamping the defense in s big way.

I don't know if they meant "new" as in Sawvel redesigned his defensive scheme or if they meant it as the players are learning a new scheme, meaning they're finally learning the whole playbook he wants to implement. I'd guess it's the latter, with personnel better fitting his preferred defensive scheme and a full offseason with the defense not starting from the very beginning.

Interesting. Could that the defense struggles early, but improves as the year goes on.

I don't know if they meant "new" as in Sawvel redesigned his defensive scheme or if they meant it as the players are learning a new scheme, meaning they're finally learning the whole playbook he wants to implement. I'd guess it's the latter, with personnel better fitting his preferred defensive scheme and a full offseason with the defense not starting from the very beginning.

Pretty sure it’s the latter and Clawson said last season that this was going to happen. Last year was about getting all the new defensive staff to work together.

Well, as the article states, Phonz was more a victim of circumstance than an outright bad player like Curry.

A couple other takeaways from that article:

1: "Best pick: CB Joe Haden. This is not an easy task. The Browns have no players left on the team from the drafts from 2008 through 2014. The only first-round picks they have remaining are from 2016 and '17."

That is absolutely insane, especially when you think about where those picks have been.

2: I would have likely also missed on Bjoern Werner, Justin Blackmon (though as I get older, you realize that character issues really can be telling), Rolando McClain (yeah, about that character), Morris Claiborne, possibly Ereck Flowers (who I really wanted the Panthers to draft), Jimmy Clawson (same thing, though it made me wonder why he was still around in the 2nd when every mock had him going in the mid first), Greg Robinson (thought he was a monster), and Aaron Curry (Mel Kiper's "Can't miss pick of the draft".

I didn't agree with it at the time, but I think he made the right choice. Late 1st-mid second is looking extremely likely.

There’s a guy who is considering us and Iowa State.

Better watch out for scumbags at Iowa State. Had a friend who was recruited by them in gymnastics-- offered a scholarship in her junior year. She committed. On signing day, the Iowa State coach not only pulled the scholarship, but didn't show up as promised and texted her that there was no scholarship! Shades of Louisville. What a scumbag

Better watch out for scumbags at Iowa State. Had a friend who was recruited by them in gymnastics-- offered a scholarship in her junior year. She committed. On signing day, the Iowa State coach not only pulled the scholarship, but didn't show up as promised and texted her that there was no scholarship! Shades of Louisville. What a scumbag

Relevant.

I didn't agree with it at the time, but I think he made the right choice. Late 1st-mid second is looking extremely likely.

No chance he goes round 1. Mid-late round 2 is probably the spot for Bates

No chance he goes round 1. Mid-late round 2 is probably the spot for Bates

I wouldn't be surprised if he sneaks in round 1 late. Kind of reminds me of rise of Jimmy Ward. Safety who rose late to get drafted 1-30.

Two Deacs listed as the worst draft picks for their teams in the last 10 years: Alphonso for the Broncos and Curry for the Seahawks. Ouch.

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/...best-and-worst-draft-picks-for-every-nfl-team

The Broncos took Tim Tebow in the first round. He started 14 regular season games for the Broncos? The bust of the century, Ryan Leaf, started 21 games in his career. Phonz played in over 40 games as a pro, had 71 pro tackles, 8 ints, and 2 TDs in a 4 year career and was a 2nd rounder and was always going to be just a slot corner. Not a great pick, but certainly not a first round QB who didn't even start 1 full season's worth of games.

Back