• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jessie Bates Declares for NFL Draft

8 picks and 2 TDs is pretty good. A lot of CBs haven’t done that.

The Broncos took Tim Tebow in the first round. He started 14 regular season games for the Broncos? The bust of the century, Ryan Leaf, started 21 games in his career. Phonz played in over 40 games as a pro, had 71 pro tackles, 8 ints, and 2 TDs in a 4 year career and was a 2nd rounder and was always going to be just a slot corner. Not a great pick, but certainly not a first round QB who didn't even start 1 full season's worth of games.

Not for the Broncos though

I wouldn't be surprised if he sneaks in round 1 late. Kind of reminds me of rise of Jimmy Ward. Safety who rose late to get drafted 1-30.

The Steelers late in the first would be an obvious spot. Would hate to see him go to the Ravens' rivals though.

Not for the Broncos though
True, but it's not like the Broncos cut him, and received nothing in return. The Broncos traded Smith to the Lions for a TE (Gronk's brother Dan, who stayed on the Denver roster for a year), and a draft pick. With all the abject draft busts, stupid to call a 2nd round pick with a 4 year NFL career "a bust". Not a home run, but pretty much a standard NFL career.

Part of the bust label is Thad they gave up a 1st for him.

I would not call someone traded for a pick and a player a "bust." Particularly in the current NFL where guys are not traded as often as they used to be. Busts are guys who get cut for poor performance who still have remaining guaranteed money in their contracts

Pretty sure it’s the latter and Clawson said last season that this was going to happen. Last year was about getting all the new defensive staff to work together.

Yep, defense coming together after getting about 3 new coaches last year and blending together. Deacs to go 9-3 this coming season.

I don’t see Raiders going with Bates, as much as I would love to see him play for my favorite team. The plan is to put Karl Joseph at FS and pair him with a true SS.

Seems there were multiple mock drafts that had him going to the Chargers in the second round. With James going there in the first round, I would imagine that is no longer a position of need for them.

Fringe 1st round is guys who could possibly maybe go in the 1st. That’s basically the top 80-100 players.

Fringe 1st round is guys who could possibly maybe go in the 1st. That’s basically the top 80-100 players.

Not really. Sure there are a few positions where a 2nd/3rd rounder could jump if a team is in love with the player but that's not really the definion of "fringe 1st" IMO. I'd reserve that for the top 45/50 players. Hope he falls to the Panther in the 3rd, assuming they don't go S with their 2nd.

I was coming at it from if you took every player who has showed up in a 1st round over the last 4 months, you’d have about 80-100 guys, most of whom will be drafted before the 4th.

Last edited:
I was coming at it from if you took every player who has showed up in a 1st round over the last 4 months, you’d have about 80-100 guys, most of whom will be drafted before the 4th.

I see what your saying but I really don't pay attention to or credit any mocks from before the combine and wave 1 of free agency. You start to get a realistic image of the draft board 2-3 weeks before the draft. Bates was never in consideration for round 1 and is probably pretty doubtful for round 2.

I see what your saying but I really don't pay attention to or credit any mocks from before the combine and wave 1 of free agency. You start to get a realistic image of the draft board 2-3 weeks before the draft. Bates was never in consideration for round 1 and is probably pretty doubtful for round 2.

i dunno about that; i saw that the steelers and eagles had some interest in bates at the end of round 1

still not crazy that he might get drafted tonight

Back