• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jessie Bates Declares for NFL Draft

Tough loss for the Deacs; have seen no draft projections for him, but wish him the best. This happens to programs with talent.

Well damn.

Last edited:

Well damn. There's room for him to come back though.

Given that it appears his statement (including the presentation) was drafted by an experienced NFL agent (who has never represented a "University of Wake Forest" player before), I doubt it.

I hope Jessie is getting good info. If so, CONGRATS!!!

Perhaps we can bring in a grad. for a year?

BTW, I saw that Duke is bringing in a lineman from Ohio State. We need something like that.

1. Jessie Bates declaring, though I haven't seen a round projection yet, could work out incredibly well for the Panthers. Snag a damn good safety after the first and second rounds likely.

2. Who's the next man up? I assume Masterson since he played in Bates' absence, but maybe Traveon Redd will be back from injury, Tyriq Hardimon, Deandre Delaney?

Here is Bates' draft profile:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=1004093&draftyear=2020&genpos=FS

This says he is rated as the 3rd best FS out of 49, but I'm not sure how those rankings/ratings work.

When is the last time Wake had three players drafted in the same year?

That's 3rd best in the 2020 draft class. No idea where he stands in this draft class. The last time we had three drafted in the same year was 2012 (Givens, Looney, Wilbur, Bush). Looney and Wilber are still in the league, both with the Cowboys.

Given that it appears his statement (including the presentation) was drafted by an experienced NFL agent (who has never represented a "University of Wake Forest" player before), I doubt it.

Yeah. I posted that before I saw the tweet. He's gone. That's the risk of redshirting.

1. Jessie Bates declaring, though I haven't seen a round projection yet, could work out incredibly well for the Panthers. Snag a damn good safety after the first and second rounds likely.

2. Who's the next man up? I assume Masterson since he played in Bates' absence, but maybe Traveon Redd will be back from injury, Tyriq Hardimon, Deandre Delaney?

#1 is weird. I really don't see Bates getting drafted before Round 4, but I'd love for him to get drafted higher. But I wouldn't want the Panthers to take him until later.

Back