• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football 2018 Offseason Discussion

Would be surprised if he declined to go. Also, getting Duke in Round 5 would be a steal.

What's the deal with Cam, I would've bet dollars to doughnuts he'd be a top 5 at TE at least, but that's not what I've seen?

I saw a full mock yesterday on Bleacher Report (so take that for what it's worth) with Duke in the 5th, Bates in the 6th, and Cam in the 7th.

I saw a full mock yesterday on Bleacher Report (so take that for what it's worth) with Duke in the 5th, Bates in the 6th, and Cam in the 7th.

Cam in the 7th is crazy I think. I know I'm biased, but I think Cam can be really good on Sundays. Same for Duke. Bates in the 6th is probably about right, with some of the question marks with him.

I don’t understand leaving after a rSO year for a 6th round projection. Everybody’s got their reasons though.

I don’t understand leaving after a rSO year for a 6th round projection. Everybody’s got their reasons though.

Yeah, I really hope it works out for Jesse, but I think he would've benefited from another year in college. Get a little bigger, get a little stronger, hopefully stay healthy and play all year. I'm pulling for him to do big things on Sundays though.

Bates played on a bad wheel for more than half the season. While NFL evaluators will take that into account, agree that Bates would've gotten a bump from a healthy redshirt junior season. You never know, but guessing that an agent got into either Bates' ear or someone close to him's ear.

Predicting right now that Duke gets drafted before round 5.

Not many TEs get drafted really high. Speculating that Cam's foot speed and blocking ability may be the questions that NFL teams have about him. That said, he has great hands and knows how to get open. If he can find the right fit, things may pan out for Cam.

Think Cam's biggest issue is his height (weight is fine) and is slow-footed. Actually think his blocking ability will either be a slight positive or a wash. TE's in the NFL are 6-5 these days.

I could see Bates go as high as 3rd with a good Combine - his ball skills will show up on tape, they need to see his athleticism on paper.

I've seen Duke has high as 1st round and as late as 5th.

Will be an interesting draft for the Deacs.

TEs are crazy athletic nowadays. Obvious Gronk is the prototype but it seems like every team has a guy the size of a DE who runs routes like a WR.

I assumed Bates decided to leave because he was injured. Worried that a more serious injury could mean the end to the dream and wanted to take a chance while he still had good press from the Belk Bowl. I agree he could have used another year, but football is a brutal game and I can see the injury getting in his head. Wish him the best of luck. I would love to see a team like the Panthers pick up Cam and give him a year or so to learn under Olson. The guy can get open and catch the ball

I hope my team drafts all of them.

34 is a pretty good pre season rating.
Shows we're making progress in the minds of the football 'experts' out there.

We are definitely capable of such a rating but I always flinch a little whenever I see Wake with a preseason target on its back. It's somewhat rare but Wake as a frontrunner hasn't been as successful historically as Wake as a darkhorse I don't think.

Based on those rankings:

@Tulane (98) W; Towson (no) W; BC (48) W; ND (7) L/W; Rice (128) W; Clemson (3) L; @ FSU (18) L/W; @Louisville (29) L/W; Syracuse (71) W; @ NC State (37) L/W; Pitt (45) W; @Duke (40) pick 'em

It can see 9 wins going into a bowl game. Easy.

Well, not easy, but let's say you lose to ND in a close game and then lose by 20 to Clemson. You are 4-2 going to Florida State after a bye week against a new coach. I like our chances at FSU this year. Louisville is also a get 'em game with their defense in decline and no all everything QB. You potentially go into Raleigh at 6-3, outside chance of 7-2 and a ranking. I think you can get to Durham at 8-3.

I think we finish 7-5 regular season and win our bowl again to get to 8-5. If Hinton is as good as Wolford then I can see us getting to 9-4

Another year of improvement up to 9 wins would be great. But why stop there!

Back