• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football 2018 Offseason Discussion

When was the last time we on at NC St? I could see us winning at Florida St before winning in Raleigh.

'06. So winning there is a harbinger of a special season.

Last time before that was 1984

'06. So winning there is a harbinger of a special season.

Last time before that was 1984

It took a super human effort from Swank in 06.

It took a super human effort from Swank in 06.

Wasn't that game also when Plack set the WF record for a punt? Flipped the field completely.

Last edited:
Think we will see an equally dynamic offense, just a different type of dynamic. It will be tailored towards the QB run. Although it was a part of this seasons offense, it will be much more incorporated (draws, read options).

Hinton will start and we will run him a lot. And if he gets hurt, we won’t have to change the offense much with Newman behind him.

Think we will see an equally dynamic offense, just a different type of dynamic. It will be tailored towards the QB run. Although it was a part of this seasons offense, it will be much more incorporated (draws, read options).

Hinton will start and we will run him a lot. And if he gets hurt, we won’t have to change the offense much with Newman behind him.

I agree that we will run an offense similar to what you describe. I have concerns that it won’t be as explosive since Hinton has not shown the ability to throw the ball as well as wolford. Teams are going to stack the box and stuff the run. He’s not terrible at passing, just not as dynamic a threat as wolford. I predict the offense will take a small step back, but even so, still should be pretty explosive.

Geez people. Wolford was as dynamic a threat until the second half of the season. Stop writing off Hinton as a passer. It’s lazy.

Don't think teams will be comfortable stacking the box against us with Hinton's (assuming he's the starter) ability to make plays in space and Dortch on the outside

Right. If we have Dortch and Hines in the slot, good luck putting 8 in the box.

Geez people. Wolford was as dynamic a threat until the second half of the season. Stop writing off Hinton as a passer. It’s lazy.

Not quite sure how you get that I was writing off Hinton as a passer from my post. I simply said he was not as good a passer as wolford, which I think is pretty clear to most people.

Right. And I said Wolford wasn’t even as good of a passer as he became late in the season.

Hinton was 13-17 for 196 yards in back up duty. His start vs Clemson was respectable.

I don’t understand where the doubt comes from. People are making Wolford into some QB savant instead of QB who struggled for 3 seasons and figured it out in his fourth year.

I love Hinton and wanted him starting at the beginning of the season. Also think he can become a great passer (think he still throws as good of a deep ball as Wolf). But it’s glaringly obvious our play calling changes when Hinton is in.

I hope they stack the box on Hinton. Dortch/Washington/Hines on the deep ball will be open ADED.

I’ve always thought Hinton threw a better deep ball, and Wolford was more accurate in the short to mid throws. But how good of a season we have probably depends on how well Hinton is running the run/pass option. It took Wolford a while, but he became extremely efficient. I think Hinton can be better. Wolford might have been nearly as fast, but there is no doubt Hinton is quicker and better at making people miss. This could be a really fun season.

Right. And I said Wolford wasn’t even as good of a passer as he became late in the season.

Hinton was 13-17 for 196 yards in back up duty. His start vs Clemson was respectable.

I don’t understand where the doubt comes from. People are making Wolford into some QB savant instead of QB who struggled for 3 seasons and figured it out in his fourth year.

That's not quite the story, but I understand it's your narrative.

Agree, how we all forget Wolford was throwing the ball to the opposing team more than his own for the first 3 years, and most of us was wanting him to be benched. Hinton will be coming into year 3 with being worked with our coaches. we will be just fine

People don’t realize how often wolford bailed us out this year. His decision making was incredible and he was insanely efficient. I think many are going to be disappointed if they think Hinton will be even close to the production wolford had this past season. He will bring a different dynamic to the offense and hope we can design some nice run options. I really hope he can improve his accuracy in the short throws as well.

People don’t realize how often wolford bailed us out this year. His decision making was incredible and he was insanely efficient. I think many are going to be disappointed if they think Hinton will be even close to the production wolford had this past season. He will bring a different dynamic to the offense and hope we can design some nice run options. I really hope he can improve his accuracy in the short throws as well.

Agree with all of this. I’m hoping Hinton is close to the player that Wolford is but I also think some folks will be disappointed.

Back