• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football 2018 Offseason Discussion

The Story: Dortch + Offensive Line. Dortch alone was sufficient to roll over early opponents until App. Then we struggled with just Dortch until Louisville, when he broke loose, but he went down. Dortch and his going down was the tide that raised all boats. Other receivers saw the bar that Dortch set and upped their game materially across the board. OL improved throughout the season to where they became a force. With time and receivers, Wolford finally had the time and the catches he deserved all along. Wolford did improve every year he was here, but it wasn't the last minute improvement PhDeac tries to sell. That kind of improvement came from the other offensive players who stepped up for the first time in 4 years. Wolford was solid all four years commensurate with his class year.

People don’t realize how often wolford bailed us out this year. His decision making was incredible and he was insanely efficient. I think many are going to be disappointed if they think Hinton will be even close to the production wolford had this past season. He will bring a different dynamic to the offense and hope we can design some nice run options. I really hope he can improve his accuracy in the short throws as well.

How good is it hearing the last few weeks of RPO lovefest in the NFL knowing that Wolford ran it wonderfully for our record setting Offensive year. Clawson has it going on and just needed to get some of the pieces in place. Beal should add to defense's quandary next year.
Claw In!!

Wolford had over 300 yards passing 3 times in his first 41 games, and then had over 300 yards 4 of his last 7 games including 2 over 400.

Wolford had over 300 yards passing 3 times in his first 41 games, and then had over 300 yards 4 of his last 7 games including 2 over 400.

We have all (mostly) agreed that completions are hard to make from your back

The offense started clicking. Wolford got better (suggesting otherwise is foolish), the offense line got better, the receviers got better.

I think Hinton is walking into a great situation and will do well. I suspect that our offense will look similar to last year.

The Story: Dortch + Offensive Line. Dortch alone was sufficient to roll over early opponents until App. Then we struggled with just Dortch until Louisville, when he broke loose, but he went down. Dortch and his going down was the tide that raised all boats. Other receivers saw the bar that Dortch set and upped their game materially across the board. OL improved throughout the season to where they became a force. With time and receivers, Wolford finally had the time and the catches he deserved all along. Wolford did improve every year he was here, but it wasn't the last minute improvement PhDeac tries to sell. That kind of improvement came from the other offensive players who stepped up for the first time in 4 years. Wolford was solid all four years commensurate with his class year.

Huge addendum to this narrative: The emergence of Colburn.

Key to Hinton’s success will be the OL and RBs. If that part of the offense is as good as this year, then look to Wake winning some unexpected ones. I anticipate a different Hinton from year’s past in the mid passing game. Biggest problem for him may be whether to run or pass because he can gain 5 in a heartbeat when the defense least expects it.

The players on this team need to commit to getting very focused for BC. That game is a linchpin to a possibly great year.

The offense started clicking. Wolford got better (suggesting otherwise is foolish), the offense line got better, the receviers got better.

I think Hinton is walking into a great situation and will do well. I suspect that our offense will look similar to last year.

This.

The transition at QB is definitely going to result in a couple of Ls next season that would have been Ws with Wolford. That said, we should still be good enough across the board to have a pretty special season by Wake standards. I think 7-5 is a reasonable goal but 6-6 may be more likely. 5-7 or worse would be a disappointment.

Expecting 8-4 regular season. 7-5 or 9-3 would be mild surprises. Anything else would be a real surprise.

Emergence of Surratt and Byrd as significant weapons along with Dortch, Colburn, Washington, and Hines makes for another exciting season on offense (all built on the foundation of one of the top OLs in the ACC).

Wolford had teammates? Crazy.

Wolford had teammates? Crazy.

At the end of the Belk Bowl Wolford and Hinton stood face to face in a long exchange..both guys knew the 2017 Starters job could have gone either way..and you could see John in a very public and symbolic way hand the team over to Kendall. John,being a class guy as is Kendall, put his hands over Hinton’s shoulders and I am certain told him “you go and take us to next stage..more wins and shot at ACC Champs. It’s your team now, Kendall.”

Kendall Hinton is my QB and I am jacked up to see the rising JR working with an unleashed Warren Ruggerio.

At the end of the Belk Bowl Wolford and Hinton stood face to face in a long exchange..both guys knew the 2017 Starters job could have gone either way..and you could see John in a very public and symbolic way hand the team over to Kendall. John,being a class guy as is Kendall, put his hands over Hinton’s shoulders and I am certain told him “you go and take us to next stage..more wins and shot at ACC Champs. It’s your team now, Kendall.”

Kendall Hinton is my QB and I am jacked up to see the rising JR working with an unleashed Warren Ruggerio.

Hah, this is straight out of a Disney movie, but awesome if true. The waxing positive Lectro posts are much needed this time of year.

Hah, this is straight out of a Disney movie, but awesome if true. The waxing positive Lectro posts are much needed this time of year.

There's already 2 movies about or including Wake Football..............Brian's Song and The Fifth Quarter.
If we have the season we're hoping for next year, we can let Disney do another movie about us.

We have a while to work on a name for it

Back