• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football 2018 Offseason Discussion

He had too the first couple years. As bad as the offense was, playing uptempo would've just meant more quick 3 and outs and worn the defense out even more. Even slowing it down, the defense was still worn down in the 2nd half of most games then.

My counter is that when we slowed the tempo this year, individual plays did not seem to be as successful. I have no stats for it though (would want to look at how yards per play varied based on time left on play clock at snap) so might just be perception.

Notre Dame forced to vacate their 2012 and 2013 wins, including a 38-0 drubbing of MSD during their BCS season in 2012.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...-notre-dame-wins-in-academic-misconduct-case/

Suck it cheaters!

Quote from the article - "The NCAA has not chosen to ignore academic autonomy; it has instead perverted it by divorcing it from its logical and necessary connection to the underlying educational purpose," Jenkins wrote, adding that Notre Dame's case stands in "striking contrast with another recent high-profile academic misconduct case" (i.e. North Carolina).

Quote from the article - "The NCAA has not chosen to ignore academic autonomy; it has instead perverted it by divorcing it from its logical and necessary connection to the underlying educational purpose," Jenkins wrote, adding that Notre Dame's case stands in "striking contrast with another recent high-profile academic misconduct case" (i.e. North Carolina).

Yep. There AD isn't the ACC commisioner. No one to run interference (just a hunch)

Well, you can throw out Clemson I think. The Duke game was huge disappointment though, as was the 2nd half vs. Tech.

I saw that duke game coming. Especially after the previous weeks in the gauntlet and coming off that emotional weekend win vs State. Even when we went up 17-3 I didn’t feel our guys had the energy we needed. Duke caught us at the right time. It happens. Just as we caught BC at the right time it would appear.

Yes, the 2nd half against Duke was a downer. We were not as sharp as in 1st and Wolford had a couple of missed 3rd down plays that ended likely TD drives. We kicked the FG but in retrospect, we should have gone for it. 20/20 hindsight. Duke got the lead late and we couldn't respond like we did successfully vs aTm.
Still, give the team a lot of credit for the good season.

We really underrated Bates.

Don't think we under rated him. Other teams stayed away from him for a reason. He also missed a chunk of the season.

Did anybody think he was going to make himself eligible for the draft and be rated as high as the #4 safety?

Did anybody think he was going to make himself eligible for the draft and be rated as high as the #4 safety?

I was worried he would leave this season. But I didn't think he would be rated this high because of Wake Forest, not because of ability.

I was worried he would leave this season. But I didn't think he would be rated this high because of Wake Forest, not because of ability.
The pros don't care where you went to school

In no way did I think he would be rated that high, and I thought his decision to leave was because of his injury rather than actual interest as a prospect. That being said he was excellent for us when healthy and I hope he crushes it in the NFL.

The difference without him on the field was pretty damn striking

We really underrated Bates.

Who is "we"?

Obvious that the WF defense collapsed when he was out. Clawson doesn't go out of his way to overly praise any one player, but Bates was a Clawson fave from the beginning.

WF flipped him from Ball State. He was rated in the bottom half of WF's recruiting class: WF had 9 recruits in the 2015 class that were rated among the top 1000 football players in that HS class; Bates was not among that group. Among the players rated ahead of Bates in the 2015 recruiting class -- Steven Claude, Bowman Archibald, Dionte Austin and Rocky Reid; WF top rated recruit in that class was Kyle Kearns.

My counter is that when we slowed the tempo this year, individual plays did not seem to be as successful. I have no stats for it though (would want to look at how yards per play varied based on time left on play clock at snap) so might just be perception.

We didn't have what we needed to be successful up front under any tempo. Trying to play fast then would've led to even more one-sided defeats. The only reason we were remotely competitive in most games was our defense.

I saw that duke game coming. Especially after the previous weeks in the gauntlet and coming off that emotional weekend win vs State. Even when we went up 17-3 I didn’t feel our guys had the energy we needed. Duke caught us at the right time. It happens. Just as we caught BC at the right time it would appear.

Me too. That whole week leading up to the Duke game I was worried about possible lack of motivation on our side and increased motivation on theirs and that's how it played out.

The pros don't care where you went to school

Correct. But it seems like those on this board and outside are shocked he’s rated this high due to the lack of coverage (pun) of Bates because he played at Wake.

Pilch, thought he was committed to toledo when we flipped him

I would say that our secondary/2nd LB will be the key this season. We had a great DL last year and gave up many points. That’s in-large part due to the opposing team getting rid of the ball quickly (which put the weight on Dawson/Jaboree/secondary).

Bassey is a beast, JaSir will be older, Glenn is underrated. Hoping Masterson makes a big step (Clawson says a huge step occurs after the first season on the field). And the special teams action of Simpson and Taylor pay off at LB.

Back