• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football 2018 Offseason Discussion

According to Les Johns.

Could see the writing on the wall.

It would explain our pursuit of a grad transfer WR.

If true, it's really more a testament to the caliber of WR's we've gotten lately than a knock on Cortez. I wish him the best of luck. I'm sure he will have no issue finding a landing spot, and he'll always have a soft spot in my heart for his viral handshake video.

Going to miss Byrd in the backfield, but obviously trust Clawson to make the right call.

Byrd to DB? Didn't see that coming. He ran for 400+ yards last year and averaged 5 ypc, and looking at his HS career, he seemed to be 100% an offensive player. Byrd has the wheels to excel on D. Would be curious to know the extent of the persuasion needed, if any, to get Byrd on board with the switch.

Last edited:
Saw an interesting tweet that mentioned Wade learning all 3 receiver positions could benefit him as a safety.

Never doubt the Claw but me no likey but trust the Claw...

(Repeats this to self over and over)

Wow. Surprised about both Wade and Byrd moving to DB.
Fwiw, we have pretty good depth at RB and WR. Not so much at DB. These guys are both good athletes with speed and I'm guessing may have played some DB in high school. They'll add depth immediately and could end up starting by early season.

Regarding position changes that turned out ok.......didn't Bill Armstrong start as a QB before becoming an AA safety?

Fwiw, we have pretty good depth at RB and WR. Not so much at DB. These guys are both good athletes with speed and I'm guessing may have played some DB in high school. They'll add depth immediately and could end up starting by early season.

Regarding position changes that turned out ok.......didn't Bill Armstrong start as a QB before becoming an AA safety?

But DO WE? Colburn, Carney, Beal, and the freshman from Troy, NC? Four is not many. Hopefully we have a grad transfer coming in or another position change.

With Lewis gone and Wade at DB we have - Surratt, WayJones, Robinson, Dortch, Hines, Washington, Bachman and a few Freshman so WR we should be okay (especially if we get that Hawaiian dude)

But DO WE? Colburn, Carney, Beal, and the freshman from Troy, NC? Four is not many. Hopefully we have a grad transfer coming in or another position change.

With Lewis gone and Wade at DB we have - Surratt, WayJones, Robinson, Dortch, Hines, Washington, Bachman and a few Freshman so WR we should be okay (especially if we get that Hawaiian dude)

I think that the role of change of pace back can be supplemented by slot receivers in a pinch.

think ben coleman went from DT to All-ACC and NFL at OL?

Dustin Lyman played ILB at WF and TE in the NFL. Switches from offense to defense can be successful. Just a risky proposition when a player has proved himself to be productive already on one side of the ball.

Back