• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football 2018 Offseason Discussion

Wow. Surprised about both Wade and Byrd moving to DB.
Fwiw, we have pretty good depth at RB and WR. Not so much at DB. These guys are both good athletes with speed and I'm guessing may have played some DB in high school. They'll add depth immediately and could end up starting by early season.

Regarding position changes that turned out ok.......didn't Bill Armstrong start as a QB before becoming an AA safety?

Yes, he did. But it was apparent pretty quickly that Armstrong wasn’t a QB. I don’t think he threw a dozen passes before the change was made.

But DO WE? Colburn, Carney, Beal, and the freshman from Troy, NC? Four is not many. Hopefully we have a grad transfer coming in or another position change.

With Lewis gone and Wade at DB we have - Surratt, WayJones, Robinson, Dortch, Hines, Washington, Bachman and a few Freshman so WR we should be okay (especially if we get that Hawaiian dude)
I'm guessing this means Clawson is very high on the freshmen running backs. Is Tyler Bell still on the team?

Keep in mind, they could always end up moving back to their original pisitions before the fall depending on whether they take well to the new position/others step up.

I'm guessing this means Clawson is very high on the freshmen running backs. Is Tyler Bell still on the team?

Keep in mind, they could always end up moving back to their original pisitions before the fall depending on whether they take well to the new position/others step up.

Or injuries. Definitely. This could last for one or two days for all we know.

Obviously Claw and the staff have thought it out. I didn't think we were deep enough at RB to make such a drastic move.

I do agree with whoever said Dortch and Hines could take over the change of pace back role either lined up in the backfield or going in motion in a 4 WR set.

Good to be talking about football news. I think Wade could be a dynamic DB, but this is pretty late in the game for such a change. He would have been the 3rd slot, most likely, so maybe things look good for Collie from Hawaii.

Wade definitely played DB in HS. In fact, last season I was talking to a kid that went to HS with him, and he mentioned that as good a WR as Wade was, he thought he was even better as a DB.

With Hinton as the QB you gotta think that RB attempts will probably go down, and if healthy Colburn will get a majority of the reps. Better to use your top athletes in positions of need. The secondary was a disaster towards the end of last season. Also RB appears to be the easiest position to plug-and-play, so I'm sure the guys would be ready if called upon.

With Hinton as the QB you gotta think that RB attempts will probably go down, and if healthy Colburn will get a majority of the reps. Better to use your top athletes in positions of need. The secondary was a disaster towards the end of last season. Also RB appears to be the easiest position to plug-and-play, so I'm sure the guys would be ready if called upon.

That makes sense. Colburn is an every down back and looked really good down the stretch. Hinton will get plenty of carries. Dortch and Hines should get more carries.

Is Claw going with the 2 TEs, 1 RB sets he always wanted? 4 WR fun and gun set? He needs DBs. My thought is that someone else won't be back for the fall.

Does anyone know what day and time the spring game will be? I may want to make the trip this year and not sure where to find the date

April 7th is the date. I’m not sure what time it is, but it is usually early afternoon. Can’t wait!

April 7th is the date. I’m not sure what time it is, but it is usually early afternoon. Can’t wait!

Ouch.
Masters weekend.
2 of the best sporting events of the year..... on the same day.

The Wade news is very surprising, but Clawson has earned trust on that. If it gives him a chance to start his senior year, rather than be the 4th or 5th receiver on the team, that's great.

I'm more surprised by Byrd. Colburn is great, but only has one more year and Carney is always banged up. The staff must have felt very strongly that: (1) Beal is a better option than Byrd (which is exciting) and/or (2) Byrd will be higher on the depth chart at db. Number 2 is either a good thing, or a really bad sign for the corners after our two starters.

Yeah, I'm going to be positive and think that Beal is going to be a ridiculous weapon we couldn't keep off the field, and Byrd would have gotten 4th RB touches.

Clawson says the job is Kendall Hinton’s to win, but “if the other guys outperform him, then they outperform him” which is very similar to what he said last year before spring camp.

Clawson says the job is Kendall Hinton’s to win, but “if the other guys outperform him, then they outperform him” which is very similar to what he said last year before spring camp.

This should be a very exciting spring camp.
Don't know when the outlook has been so positive.
I'm sure the players are pumped as we are.
Can't wait for September.

I would love to see Beal do for the the running back position what Dortch did for the wide receiver position at Wake...

From les’ Report:

-Arkeen wanted to move to CB - that’s where his heart was and where he was highly recruited.
-Wade might have potential to start next year year because of losing Bates.
-T. Bell is returning
-Cortez grad transfer and P. Black kicked off team.

Those are big losses. Paris was suspended for a while last season too.

Damn. Hate that for Black. I thought he was pretty good when actually playing.

Back