• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football 2018 Offseason Discussion

It's nice to go into a season looking at a schedule with zero perceived automatic losses. Still plenty of tough games, but I see a 10-2 best case, 5-7 worst case, and will predict an 8-4 finish. 6-1 at home and 2-3 on the road.

Even winning one of Clemson, ND and @FSU is going to be difficult. I like Wake's chances in all the rest of the games. Louisville will be out for revenge, but I think Wake will still be in the mode of proving that the loss at Louisville two seasons ago was the result of the stolen game play book, not that L was a better team.

There is going to be more hype coming into this season than maybe even the 07 season. Clawson is building something sustainable at Wake that we have never had in our history. I could see him having us in a bowl game every single season he's coach, with the occasional conference title run every 3-5 years. We need him to stay in Winston because there's no doubt that he'll stay hungry and focused.

There is going to be more hype coming into this season than maybe even the 07 season. Clawson is building something sustainable at Wake that we have never had in our history. I could see him having us in a bowl game every single season he's coach, with the occasional conference title run every 3-5 years. We need him to stay in Winston because there's no doubt that he'll stay hungry and focused.

With the way Dabo has been keeping things going at Clemson, making a run at the division title is a pretty big mountain to climb. FSU is an unknown as they have a new coach. That usually means a step back. How big remains to be seen.

The recruiting and player development will have to continue to improve. And the Jesse Bates will have to be persuaded to stay like Duke Ejifor did this year.Recruiting will need to start getting more high three star and some four star guys that fit what Clawson wants.

Hasn't Bates signed with an agent?

I believe he did.

I wasn't talking about him specifically. I was talking about future players who, like him, are good enough to go to the NFL but if Wake is to make a championship run, will need to stay at Wake.

Duke Ejifor staying and playing his fourth season at Wake made the defense a whole lot better. If Wake makes a run at an ACC championship, there probably will need to be more than one guy who returns to Wake when he could turn pro.

I think the offense can be more dynamic, as long as Hinton stays healthy. Dortch, Hines and Washington form the best WR corps in a decade. Add Beal to the backfield and keep the OL firing off the ball and we'll be fine. Cole and Chapman have to step up and push Freudenthal. we're thin at CB and could be at DT and in the kicking game if Sciba struggles. Can't wait!

need to find some linebackers somewhere. but excited about the offense for sure. I think Hinton will do well behind that stout O Line.

I'm assuming that something terrible will happen and we will end up sucking. Because we can't have nice things.

I think the offense can be more dynamic, as long as Hinton stays healthy. Dortch, Hines and Washington form the best WR corps in a decade. Add Beal to the backfield and keep the OL firing off the ball and we'll be fine. Cole and Chapman have to step up and push Freudenthal. we're thin at CB and could be at DT and in the kicking game if Sciba struggles. Can't wait!

I don't think we're thin at DT at all. Rodney, Yarberry, Bateman and Kamara are all quality players who played abunch this year and Tyler Williams will be a redshirt freshman next season.

I'm assuming that something terrible will happen and we will end up sucking. Because we can't have nice things.

Certainly possible. I mean, it's not inconceivable at all to think that our defense will be worse than it was the last several games. We lose our 3 best players/play-makers as well as both starting LBs (probably not a huge loss, but we'll see). Scary thought.

That, combined with a new QB could equal a 4-5 win disaster. BUT, I have too much faith in Clawson/Hinton for that, and am expecting 8 wins. Sawvel needs to step up.

Ejifor and Dunn will be tough acts to follow, particularly in terms of living in other teams backfields. Defensive backs gonna need to improve. And a replacement for Jesse Bates needs to be found.

I don't know. Depends on if we got any respect for the Belk Bowl. We're going to finish #29 in the Sagarin. We were #31 in the Massey composite computer rankings before before bowls. So those odds are in line with our finish.

I think we ended up #25 in the Massey composite after the bowls, with the offense coming in at number 10. That has to be a record, right?

It's weird to think that even if hell froze over and we made the playoff, I still don't have the creative fortitude to imagine us beating an Alabama to win it all.

Did any of us ever think it would be possible to beat FSU 30-0 at their place???
Or App State beating Michigan at Michigan?

It may be rare........but it can happen

I don't think we're thin at DT at all. Rodney, Yarberry, Bateman and Kamara are all quality players who played abunch this year and Tyler Williams will be a redshirt freshman next season.

Many complained that we didn't have a late game pass rush. That's because our 300 LBers were exhausted. Keep the DTs fresh would help, so maybe 5 isn't enough.

We also need a culture of even greater fan support. Clawson thinks it's important to "win the tailgate". The Belk Bowl was a good start. Winning helps but need to keep building support/enthusiasm/numbers.

We also need a culture of even greater fan support. Clawson thinks it's important to "win the tailgate". The Belk Bowl was a good start. Winning helps but need to keep building support/enthusiasm/numbers.

This is true. We had this after the Orange Bowl, but it only lasted 2-3 years and then tapered off as the on-field results worsened. I think this year we'll have good crowds that arrive early because we are coming off back to back bowl wins and the home schedule this year is really good.

This is true. We had this after the Orange Bowl, but it only lasted 2-3 years and then tapered off as the on-field results worsened. I think this year we'll have good crowds that arrive early because we are coming off back to back bowl wins and the home schedule this year is really good.

Yeah I'm ordering season tickets ASAP

I don't know. Depends on if we got any respect for the Belk Bowl. We're going to finish #29 in the Sagarin. We were #31 in the Massey composite computer rankings before before bowls. So those odds are in line with our finish.

Belk Bowl was a blast to win but we were lucky the game ended when it did. Wake has no defense and everyone in the country knows it. We won't be ranked.

Back