• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football 2018 Offseason Discussion

Belk Bowl was a blast to win but we were lucky the game ended when it did. Wake has no defense and everyone in the country knows it. We won't be ranked.

meh, I think the defense will be fine. They will do pretty well against the run.

DBs are fast and tackle well and they (mainly Masterson and Davis) will get better with more reps.

The interior of the D-line will be pretty darn good and the ends have experience.

Strnad has more potential than Williams or Dawson. Hopefully some R-fr will step up.

Belk Bowl was a blast to win but we were lucky the game ended when it did. Wake has no defense and everyone in the country knows it. We won't be ranked.

Yes, everybody in the country knows that Wake Forest has no defense. That's on the forefront of all Power 5 coaches minds right now I am sure.

Flashback 4 years ago, who'd have thunk it???? Good for Bassey too, I really think he and Henderson are going to be really good corners for us. I think the defense may not be quite as bad as we fear next season too. I think nagging injuries and just being such an offensive up-tempo team hurt our defense this year, with an off-season to work on things it will get better.

I don't expect a drop in D-Line play even w/o Ejiofor. I think Linebackers have the chance to be better with the younger, faster talent that we've been red shirting.

Agree that our corners shouldn't be a big problem and we have a proven play maker in Glenn. I'll be curious to see just how much Bates meant to the secondary though.

Sawvel/the DB coaches really need to play more press coverage, with what I believe will be very solid CBs. In this day and age, horizontal/quick passing is just an extension of the run game for many teams (including Wake). If we lined up our LBs/Rovers 8-12 yards off the ball, imagine how easier it would be to run on us. Not apples to apples, but you get it.

All games end at some point, do not forget that they had their chance to score but we stopped that. Further, if we have no defense why would you not say the same about Texas A&M?

Off topic, but NC State opens against James Madison next season, a team that was undefeated this year until the championship game, and won it all last year. What a stupid decision on their part.

Off topic, but NC State opens against James Madison next season, a team that was undefeated this year until the championship game, and won it all last year. What a stupid decision on their part.

If NCSU actually plays a competitive game against JMU we have way bigger problems on our hands than that one game next season. Should be a blow out.

If NCSU actually plays a competitive game against JMU we have way bigger problems on our hands than that one game next season. Should be a blow out.

I wouldn't expect a blow out. I would expect a really competitive game with State pulling away late due to size and depth. That's provided Madison doesn't lose a lot from this year and I'd say the same thing if we were opening with them. For awhile it seemed like N. Dakota State was knocking off an FBS school every year, the top schools in FCS can be competitive with a bunch of FBS schools.

Yep my motto is if you're going to play an FCS, play a bad FCS.

No fan base gets too big for their britches faster than State.

A team that has gone something like 26-1 the past two years vs a team that has a tendency to look like Tarzan and play like Jane. A blowout in State's favor might happen, but I wouldn't be super confident about it.

That said, I like State and pull for them as long as they aren't playing Wake.

Using Sagarin, State would be a 10-11 point favorite at Carter-Finley if the game was played today.

No clue who State/JMU loses, gains, but there's no it "should be a blowout (sic)"

No FBS school should fear playing an FCS school. You have to expect to beat them. Same with an ACC team v. Sun Belt team.

No FBS school should fear playing an FCS school. You have to expect to beat them. Same with an ACC team v. Sun Belt team.

Yeah, but unless you are Bama or somebody like that, there is no reason to schedule one of the really good ones because it might just bite you in the butt. Just look at the list of FBS teams North Dakota State has beaten over the years and NDSU was a DII school not too long ago either.

Last edited:
UNC did double up JMU this year 56-28 and UNC was fairly awful. JMU did beat ECU 34-14, who beat State the prior year, but ECU was also awful this year.

UNC did double up JMU this year 56-28 and UNC was fairly awful. JMU did beat ECU 34-14, who beat State the prior year, but ECU was also awful this year.

I thought that was Old Dominion

Yeah, my bad, when you google JMU's schedule from this past year, it randomly shows one game from 2016, which is the one against UNC I referenced. UNC obviously a lot better in 2016.

Their FCS game this season was Western Carolina, not JMU.

Just looked it up. We're both right. uNC played two FCS teams this year, which was 2 of their 3 wins (ODU, Pitt, WCU). What a joke they were this year!

Back