• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football 2018 Offseason Discussion

No fan base gets too big for their britches faster than State.

A team that has gone something like 26-1 the past two years vs a team that has a tendency to look like Tarzan and play like Jane. A blowout in State's favor might happen, but I wouldn't be super confident about it.

That said, I like State and pull for them as long as they aren't playing Wake.

You guys need to stop being blinded thinking NCSU is going to fall apart. JMU won the D2 national title in 2016 and got smoked by an average UNC team like 52-26. The game next year between JMU and NCSU will be similar. Next year's NCSU team is better than that UNC team and JMU loses most of their defense. NCSU will be returning at least 8/11 starters including all 3 starting WR's, the QB, 3/5ths of the OL (at a minimum) and is going to be a top 2-3 offense in the ACC. We are going to score at will on JMU and even with the points they may put up on our inexperienced D it will not be close. JMU loses a D2 all american tackle, their QB, 3/4ths of the DL, best 2 LB's etc. Come on now.

They won the FCS title, not the D2 title. Those are very different.

Fair point, but that's what I meant. My reasoning still stands. It will be a 20+ point game that NCSU plays a ton of young guys/second teamers the entire 4th quarter.

Just looked it up. We're both right. uNC played two FCS teams this year, which was 2 of their 3 wins (ODU, Pitt, WCU). What a joke they were this year!

Actually you're still wrong, ODU is a FBS school now. Easy mistake to make though.

Fair point, but that's what I meant. My reasoning still stands. It will be a 20+ point game that NCSU plays a ton of young guys/second teamers the entire 4th quarter.

I hope you're right, but don't be surprised if come the start of the 4th quarter, it's a lot closer then you'd like.

You guys need to stop being blinded thinking NCSU is going to fall apart. JMU won the D2 national title in 2016 and got smoked by an average UNC team like 52-26. The game next year between JMU and NCSU will be similar. Next year's NCSU team is better than that UNC team and JMU loses most of their defense. NCSU will be returning at least 8/11 starters including all 3 starting WR's, the QB, 3/5ths of the OL (at a minimum) and is going to be a top 2-3 offense in the ACC. We are going to score at will on JMU and even with the points they may put up on our inexperienced D it will not be close. JMU loses a D2 all american tackle, their QB, 3/4ths of the DL, best 2 LB's etc. Come on now.

Many of the real good FCS schools fill in their rosters with transfers from FBS schools who don't like losing playing time - or never getting much. They can transfer and be immediately eligible.

Haha, well damn!

Yeah, a lot of these little guys are sneaking up to FBS now. Little known teams like Georgia Southern and App State :thumbsup: that everybody thinks are still FCS programs are actually FBS now.

JMU has a pretty decent track record against FBS. In addition to beating ECU this year, they won at SMU in 2015 and led 21-14 on UNC early before getting worn down in that 2016 loss. They've also got a nice win against VT in 2010, at which time VT was ranked #13.

They lose a lot of senior talent going into next season, including a really good QB, but they're well coached and an attractive landing spot for FBS transfers as Deaconblue mentioned. I sure as hell would not want to schedule them.

Yeah, a lot of these little guys are sneaking up to FBS now. Little known teams like Georgia Southern and App State :thumbsup: that everybody thinks are still FCS programs are actually FBS now.

Or, knows they are still FCS but refers to it as "DII" or "I-AA"; hear that a lot.

Overrated/Underrated

CBS discussed overrated underrated football teams this year. The article is kind of silly in general because it's just criticizing it's own CBS writers but i found the part below to be pretty interesting.

Wake Forest -- Fornelli: 41 | CBS 130: 27
Speaking of the Belk Bowl, our most overrated team is Wake Forest. Of course, you knew that was coming. The media has long had a history of propping up their beloved Wake Forest Demon Deacons. Now, of the five overrated teams listed here, Wake had the best season. It finished 8-5 and picked up nice wins against Louisville and a ranked NC State. But are those the kind of wins that put a team in the top 30? I don't think so. My guess here is that some of my colleagues were still a bit drunk on that Belk Bowl.

Off topic, but I'm renewing season tickets and the Blue lot was worth every penny last season. I'm just wondering how one goes about getting a gold lot pass, since they are not available. Is there a certain giving level?

Off topic, but I'm renewing season tickets and the Blue lot was worth every penny last season. I'm just wondering how one goes about getting a gold lot pass, since they are not available. Is there a certain giving level?

Yes. If you want a gold lot pass, give your gold to the Deacon Club.

Here is a link to the giving levels and benefits chart. Priority for passes is assigned by Deacon Club rank within a giving level.
Suffice it to say that Gold lot passes are for those on the far right of the chart.

http://www.deaconclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/2017-18-Benefits-Chart-R1.pdf

Last edited:
Overrated/Underrated

CBS discussed overrated underrated football teams this year. The article is kind of silly in general because it's just criticizing it's own CBS writers but i found the part below to be pretty interesting.

Wake Forest -- Fornelli: 41 | CBS 130: 27
Speaking of the Belk Bowl, our most overrated team is Wake Forest. Of course, you knew that was coming. The media has long had a history of propping up their beloved Wake Forest Demon Deacons. Now, of the five overrated teams listed here, Wake had the best season. It finished 8-5 and picked up nice wins against Louisville and a ranked NC State. But are those the kind of wins that put a team in the top 30? I don't think so. My guess here is that some of my colleagues were still a bit drunk on that Belk Bowl.

Check out the “we made it” thread. We mocked this guy pretty bad.

Hopefully during year-end meetings, Clawson has notified both Dortch and Hines that they need to be prepared to learn plays that require them to play other positions to keep them on the field in formations other than 5-wide. I really think that is a key to next season (along with fixing the defense)

Hopefully during year-end meetings, Clawson has notified both Dortch and Hines that they need to be prepared to learn plays that require them to play other positions to keep them on the field in formations other than 5-wide. I really think that is a key to next season (along with fixing the defense)

I believe that Clawson acknowledged that one of things that the staff would consider during the offseason was developing more 2 inside WR packages so that both Hines and Dortch could be on the field at the same time.

But he also said that it would also depend on how much they planned to rely on the RPO next season. That’s because a 2 slot WR package would come at the expense of the TE being on the field, and (per Clawson) the TE was a critical piece of the RPO package.

In Dortch’s last couple of games Wake was very effective running RPO in what had become our own version of the “triple option” (Wolford would make a snap decision whether to hand the ball to Colburn, run it himself, or target Dortch with a short, quick pass in space). Before his injury last season Hinton seemed to run RPO very effectively.

I can’t imagine Dortch or Hines playing outside. So a 2 inside WR formation would seem like the only alternative.

I believe that Clawson acknowledged that one of things that the staff would consider during the offseason was developing more 2 inside WR packages so that both Hines and Dortch could be on the field at the same time.

But he also said that it would also depend on how much they planned to rely on the RPO next season. That’s because a 2 slot WR package would come at the expense of the TE being on the field, and (per Clawson) the TE was a critical piece of the RPO package.

In Dortch’s last couple of games Wake was very effective running RPO in what had become our own version of the “triple option” (Wolford would make a snap decision whether to hand the ball to Colburn, run it himself, or target Dortch with a short, quick pass in space). Before his injury last season Hinton seemed to run RPO very effectively.

I can’t imagine Dortch or Hines playing outside. So a 2 inside WR formation would seem like the only alternative.

Hinton doesn’t seem to be the kind of qb that would excel in a non RPO offense - or at least excel as much as he would in that offense. Can you envision a scenario that the Deacon offense is not heavily reliant on the RPO next season? Does that scenario exist only if Hinton is not the starting qb week one?

Hinton doesn’t seem to be the kind of qb that would excel in a non RPO offense - or at least excel as much as he would in that offense. Can you envision a scenario that the Deacon offense is not heavily reliant on the RPO next season? Does that scenario exist only if Hinton is not the starting qb week one?

I think you are correct that it is hard to see Wake moving away from RPO. So maybe just some change-of-pace packages with both Hines and Dortch on the field instead of the TE?

Also, what happens if Newman were to outperform Hinton this offseason? Not a prediction. More of a question of what would happen in that scenario. Clawson has made clear that he hates the idea of playing inexperienced QBs. Would he even consider starting Newman over a healthy Hinton?

Back