• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football 2018 Offseason Discussion

I think you are correct that it is hard to see Wake moving away from RPO. So maybe just some change-of-pace packages with both Hines and Dortch on the field instead of the TE?

Also, what happens if Newman were to outperform Hinton this offseason? Not a prediction. More of a question of what would happen in that scenario. Clawson has made clear that he hates the idea of playing inexperienced QBs. Would he even consider starting Newman over a healthy Hinton?

That would be fun to see, but I have pretty high hopes for the back-up tight end (freudenthal I believe? Along with at least one other reportedly good pass catching tight end in Cole).

I do not see Hinton not being the starter on opening day personally. I have said that if Newman were to beat out Hinton, we’re in for an incredibly special season due to Clawson’s value of experience. IIRC, Newman performed very well last preseason - although against the second or third team defense. I also remember a pass (dropped by Bachman, maybe?) in either the spring game or an early season blow out that Newman dropped a deep ball in a bucket for him. Was probably the best pass I’ve seen a Wake qb throw in person in some time.

Yep, Newman threw a perfect pass in our opener against Presby and Bachman dropped it in the end zone.

That would be fun to see, but I have pretty high hopes for the back-up tight end (freudenthal I believe? Along with at least one other reportedly good pass catching tight end in Cole).

I do not see Hinton not being the starter on opening day personally. I have said that if Newman were to beat out Hinton, we’re in for an incredibly special season due to Clawson’s value of experience. IIRC, Newman performed very well last preseason - although against the second or third team defense. I also remember a pass (dropped by Bachman, maybe?) in either the spring game or an early season blow out that Newman dropped a deep ball in a bucket for him. Was probably the best pass I’ve seen a Wake qb throw in person in some time.

I remember that. Newman was targeting the walk-on WR James Sriraman if I remember correctly.

If the role of the TE in the RPO offense is mainly to block, would that favor Brandon Chapman (who has also looked good catching the ball in scrimmages)?

I remember that. Newman was targeting the walk-on WR James Sriraman if I remember correctly.

If the role of the TE in the RPO offense is mainly to block, would that favor Brandon Chapman (who has also looked good catching the ball in scrimmages)?

I think you’re right on Sriraman, now that you say it was a walk on that definitely rings a bell. That was an absolutely beautiful pass.

Chapman would have to be favored in blocking scenarios. I don’t know much about his pass catching abilities or freudenthal’s blocking abilities.

All white wide receivers look the same.

If Hinton loses the job, Newman is a stud. We will not leave the RPO. That’s our identity, hence why we have done the “grab and shove technique” with the OL since Claw has been here. Many criticized this scheme when our lineman were struggling but it now makes sense.

It also makes sense why a TE is important to RPO teams. However, we HAVE to have Hines and Dortch on the field together atleast 50% of snaps.

All white wide receivers look the same.

If Hinton loses the job, Newman is a stud. We will not leave the RPO. That’s our identity, hence why we have done the “grab and shove technique” with the OL since Claw has been here. Many criticized this scheme when our lineman were struggling but it now makes sense.

It also makes sense why a TE is important to RPO teams. However, we HAVE to have Hines and Dortch on the field together atleast 50% of snaps.

I doubt this happens, but in the off chance it does, I hope we find a way to get Hinton on the field somehow. The guy is super dynamic with the ball. Let's not forget what he's capable of.

Seems like there are two straightforward ways to address that. Lineup Dortch or Hines at RB or send one of them in motion out of a 4WR/1TE set.

Seems like there are two straightforward ways to address that. Lineup Dortch or Hines at RB or send one of them in motion out of a 4WR/1TE set.

When you come in as a WR at Wake Forest under Clawson’s system, you learn 1 of 3 WR positions (save for Chucky Wade). Will Coach R or Clawson find a way to get both Hines and Dortch on the field at the same time. I.E. will they make them periodically learn another position next season.
They need to be on the field 50% of the time, doubt one of them lines up beside Hinton 50% of the time.

Clawson has made it clear that they will try to get both of them on the field together now that Cam is gone.

Correct. But it won’t be putting one of them in shotgun then spreading them out, save for 1/2 plays a game.
Therefore they must learn a new position. We’ve never had 2 slot guys on the field at once.

I can see some Shotgun split back sets where we have either hines or Dortch in the backfield on occasion. Or even Hinton if Newman wins the starting job.

Correct. But it won’t be putting one of them in shotgun then spreading them out, save for 1/2 plays a game.
Therefore they must learn a new position. We’ve never had 2 slot guys on the field at once.

Right. Clawson has made it clear that they will try to get both of them on the field together now that Cam is gone.

Good competition at all the skill positions. WR looks set but we’ve got Surratt and Waydale on the outside who seem promising.

Good competition at all the skill positions. WR looks set but we’ve got Surratt and Waydale on the outside who seem promising.

We've got lots of good receivers. We can run lots of deep patterns while frequently rotating our receivers and wear out the DBs covering them.
Hopefully, they won't be able to keep up with us later in the game.

I'd like to see a couple trick plays where we throw to Hinton.

Competition at RB and how they're used should be interesting...Carney at H-back??? Some 2 back sets???

Back