• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football 2018 Offseason Discussion

Kendall knows the offense. He needs to learn blocking assignments and route running. He has great eye-hand coordination and is as explosive as any other player on the team. As an athlete he reminds some of Kenny Moore except with greater speed.

I get the impression that Hartman and Newman would have to be really bad and we start out 1-2 for Hinton to start vs ND.

Last edited:

Per O'Neil's pice linked earlier, Beal-Smith and Amari Henderson were both held out Saturday, but are expected to be back at practice Monday. not sure about Allen, although Les described his injury as minor in last week's mailbag:

https://247sports.com/college/wake-...Forest-Football-Fall-Camp-Mailbag--120721764/

Last edited:
Doesn’t really seem like we’re throwing or completing many deep balls, per the reports and stats we’ve gotten. That’s concerning. With a potent running and bubble scene game, DBs will cheat up, and we will absolutely need to hit some shots over the top.

Last season, starting with the Louisville game, was about the only time I can consistently remember our offense going downfield in all of the Grobe/Clawson years. Despite the young QBs, I really hope we keep that up, along with similar tempo we employed the 2nd half of the season.

I disagree, Tiger. We should only do what our new QB does well. I'd rather have zero +20 throws and zero INTs. Let the seniors on the OL carry the burden. Use the TE as a safety valve, not a home run swing. My perfect QB line after Tulane game would be 8-10, 85 yards and 6 first downs. Move the chains, eat the clock. The 300+ rushing, and 10 point victory, goes without saying.

The o line is good, and so are the RBs. But if we want to beat State/ND/UL/FSU we are going to need to have sustained success in the intermediate passing game, and at least take some shots to keep them honest. I haven’t seen any of the scrimmages, and stats don’t tell the whole story, but the staff knows what it’s going to take to win those types of games, and it’s nice to have faith in them. Plus we need to be feeding Dortch as much as possible.

Thank God some of us are here to make sure Claw understands how to beat the tough teams on our schedule. I know I'm grateful.

Our rookie QBs are preparing for Tulane, not ND. Let's have a small success and build on it. If the starter fails in New Orleans, he won't be the starter against Towson. If we're 0-2 heading into BC, forget about the tough stretch. Beat the Green Wave and build upon those achievements. Then again with Towson, and then open it up a bit vs BC. Pull all the tricks that the rookie can handle vs the Irish. Then back to basics against the Owls. 4-2 at the open week and we'll be on our way to a good season.

I don't think he'll play much at WR, because we already have a bunch of good, experienced WRs and Hinton is a very inexperienced WR. But I also don't think he'll play much at QB. How can he, if he's not even practicing at QB most days?

I think Hartman will establish himself at QB early in the season.

Return of the Wildcat.

Not getting Hinton some touches would be dumb. He can score any play.

Not getting Hinton some touches would be dumb. He can score any play.

This. It's clear the staff is trying to find any way to get him on the field. This is a guy who has given top teams fits who has two more years of eligibility left.

Agreed with the above. Hinton, even if not QB, could give defenses real concerns if he's on the field. Hopefully, our OC will use this to our advantage and think creatively. In other words, do everything opposite of what Lobo would have done.

Is it okay to say I like both QB’s

I am anxious to see both under the lights. I have gotten the sense that both are game time players.. really,Hinton qualifies as well. We are blessed with 3 guys who can play and all 3 may well see action by years end.

I'm just thinking, that If Hinton is going to play on Sundays, it won't be at QB. Give the scouts some video of him at WR, if the rookies stumble out of the gate, put him back at QB.

Did Dortch's tweet mean that Hartman is going to be the starting QB?

Last edited:
Back