• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football 2018 Offseason Discussion

L'ville opens the season against Alabama. Ouch.

Obviously, Jackson is a great player, but their talent level did not seem elite outside of him. Without Jackson, it would seem like the Cards would be likely to take a step back.

I think they could take a pretty big step back. All the crap surrounding that athletic program can't have helped recruiting and I thought when we played them, outside of Jackson, we were better all over the field. Heck, we were even better at QB that day, thanks to our "Johnny Football."

Jackson will be gone next year. How good is Louisville projected to be? They didn't seem that good this year outside of Jackson.

Don't think they will be that good at all unless they have another stud QB waiting in the wings. Not much there last year other than Jackson.

UL's defense will continue taking a step back in 2018, as it did in 2017.
Their 2016 defense was pretty solid.

It might not be a big stretch for them to be predicted last in the Atlantic next year.

Clemson is Clemson

State might have the best team they have had in a long time
Wake might have the best team they have had in a long time
BC has an offense for the first time since Matt Ryan
No Way FSU is worse than they were this year
Syracuse will probably score points
Louisville loses the only player that made them relevant.

The BC game will be key.

They played very well in the 2nd half of the season (scoring 35+ in each of their last 4 ACC wins beating FSU, UVA, L'ville and Cuse), and RB AJ Dillon will likely be a pre-season All-American. Both teams will have only 5 days to prepare, but WF will not have to travel. A win over BC would set up big time games against ND and Clemson (can you say Gameday??? j/k kind of).

If we're both unbeaten gotta think there's a shot at GameDay for the Clemson game. But if the Red River Shootout or FSU-Miami are compelling then surely one of those would get the nod.

Not seeing a lot of marquee matchups on Sept. 22nd from a quick glance but I'd imagine we'd have to beat a team like ND before we'd get GameDay consideration

Last edited:
If we're both unbeaten gotta think there's a shot at GameDay for the Clemson game. Main competition would be the Red River Shootout for sure

The Wake offense continuing to put up big point totals would help the cause. The tag line then would be something like "can the Wake Forest offense continue to put up points against the Clemson defense?"

If we're both unbeaten gotta think there's a shot at GameDay for the Clemson game. But if the Red River Shootout or FSU-Miami are compelling then surely one of those would get the nod.

Not seeing a lot of marquee matchups on Sept. 22nd from a quick glance but I'd imagine we'd have to beat a team like ND before we'd get GameDay consideration

VT also hosts ND on 10/6

It might not be a big stretch for them to be predicted last in the Atlantic next year.

Clemson is Clemson

State might have the best team they have had in a long time
Wake might have the best team they have had in a long time
BC has an offense for the first time since Matt Ryan
No Way FSU is worse than they were this year
Syracuse will probably score points
Louisville loses the only player that made them relevant.

State loses a ton on defense but has a lot of good players back on offense.

Didn't I see that Hines went?

Yep, State lost 4 on Offense (RG, RT, Samuels and Hines). 2 were early entries in Richardson and Hines, both big losses. Samuels will be a loss but actually means more snaps for Jakobi Meyers which will probably make the passing offense more explosive but less consistent on 3rd down i'd have to guess. Probably a was at worst. Big play ability of Hines and Richardson at RT are the biggest losses but also where the Pack has the most depth.

The Defense will lose a ton of talent on the front 4 but the honestly the back 7 should be better/more explosive. I'm in the minority but i'd be shocked if statistical the defense doesn't put up equal stats next year that it did this past season. Will be interesting to watch. Backup DT's played a ton of meaningful snaps last year and DE Roseboro should have a huge season.

Tacy???!!! Upset UNC in ACCT, Three Big Four t n to, Final 8, beat DePaul, even won at Duke in ‘85 with Lee Garber playing center. Tacy was a great coach. He owned Dean Smith.

Best head coach in the history of the program.

Debbie Downer question.

Who is taking Bates’ place?

Our backup safeties this year were....not good. As in we could get exposed.

Debbie Downer question.

Who is taking Bates’ place?

Our backup safeties this year were....not good. As in we could get exposed.

Masterson started when Bates was injured and got valuable experience. I'm pretty optimistic about our secondary. Henderson and Bassey at corner and Glenn at FS is a good group. Bates was the best, obviously, but another year of experience/playing together should mean good things for those three. Hopefully we can lean on them and Masterson makes a jump.

While the secondary takes a hit with Bates, I'm really excited about the front 7, primarily LB and DT. I thought speed at LB was the biggest weakness on the defense. We'll miss Jaboree and Dawson, but I was really impressed by Strnad this season. At DT, we are LOADED. And the competition at DE should be fun- I can't wait to see Mike Allen play.

Masterson started when Bates was injured and got valuable experience. I'm pretty optimistic about our secondary. Henderson and Bassey at corner and Glenn at FS is a good group. Bates was the best, obviously, but another year of experience/playing together should mean good things for those three. Hopefully we can lean on them and Masterson makes a jump.

While the secondary takes a hit with Bates, I'm really excited about the front 7, primarily LB and DT. I thought speed at LB was the biggest weakness on the defense. We'll miss Jaboree and Dawson, but I was really impressed by Strnad this season. At DT, we are LOADED. And the competition at DE should be fun- I can't wait to see Mike Allen play.

Good points. Still need at least two more guys to step up at LB and rover.

Good points. Still need at least two more guys to step up at LB and rover.

I agree at LB. Nate Mays is the presumed starter at Mike but he didn't play enough to get a feel for the level of play there. Dawson played a ton of snaps. Have to think that we'll see one of the RS Fr. have to step up with Burley or Monroe or possibly Simpson with his little playing time as a freshman. I also don't know what spot DJ Taylor was slotted for as he was the early favorite in August to be the LB with playing time as a freshman until Simpson passed him at some point. We know Strnad with be at Buck but again the younger guys will need to step up as his backup and any injuries at either LB will leave us very inexperienced.

Demetrius Kemp and Ja'Cquez Williams have the rover set pretty well. Behind those two however, I have no idea since the roster has them all listed as LB (which is interesting by itself since in the 4-2-5 there are only 2 LB's and 3 safeties so the Rovers should be listed as DB's). So we have a pair but no clue as to the spare as Clawson would call it and an injury at the position could be tough. Really wish they would list the players on the roster at their actual position expected on the depth chart but I was told by Steve Shutt that they do it for recruiting purposes (I assume so that the recruit can't look at the roster and think that there are too many guys at his specific preferred position).

That makes sense. Keep it vague.

I agree at LB. Nate Mays is the presumed starter at Mike but he didn't play enough to get a feel for the level of play there. Dawson played a ton of snaps. Have to think that we'll see one of the RS Fr. have to step up with Burley or Monroe or possibly Simpson with his little playing time as a freshman. I also don't know what spot DJ Taylor was slotted for as he was the early favorite in August to be the LB with playing time as a freshman until Simpson passed him at some point. We know Strnad with be at Buck but again the younger guys will need to step up as his backup and any injuries at either LB will leave us very inexperienced.

Demetrius Kemp and Ja'Cquez Williams have the rover set pretty well. Behind those two however, I have no idea since the roster has them all listed as LB (which is interesting by itself since in the 4-2-5 there are only 2 LB's and 3 safeties so the Rovers should be listed as DB's). So we have a pair but no clue as to the spare as Clawson would call it and an injury at the position could be tough. Really wish they would list the players on the roster at their actual position expected on the depth chart but I was told by Steve Shutt that they do it for recruiting purposes (I assume so that the recruit can't look at the roster and think that there are too many guys at his specific preferred position).

Wake does this with both lines as well. Guys are listed as DL or OL, not guard, tackle etc.

Back