• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football 2018 Offseason Discussion

I suspect that Hartman is the best QB on the squad passing the ball. That is the edge that has allowed him to challenge/displace Newman and Hinton. Hinton is the best running the football...no contest. Newman is second best in both categories. If the OL and running backs perform as projected, the need for the QB to run could be diminished and passing ability would be a determining factor in choosing a QB. Decision making in the RPO is highest priority. If Hartman and Newman show poorly "when the lights come on" Hinton will resume #1 status. Clawson has shown that he values experience and judgement in his QB. Hinton has the experience and is the known commodity "when the lights come on".

So given that Hartman and Newman are the available choices for the first three games, that puts Hartman as the better passer and Newman the better runner. Thus Clawson's dilemma. So it may come down to is Hartman a better runner than Newman is a passer, or vice versa. Is Newman a better passer than Hartman is a runner. Decision making will probably decide. Who makes better decisions under fire and pressure?

It is a bit troubling that a true freshman QB is neck and neck with a guy who is in his 3rd year.

Maybe the freshman is exceptional.

It is a bit troubling that a true freshman QB is neck and neck with a guy who is in his 3rd year.

Maybe the freshman is exceptional.

Another possibility is that Clawson is the anti-Saban and really is giving them both opportunity to win the job on the practice field.

Maybe the freshman is exceptional.[/QUOTE]

^ We all know it - we just don’t talk too much about it

Not that it matters but Eastern Alamance is beating Newman's high school 53-0 in the first half.

Actually it is representative of the talent pool from which that school has been drawing for several years now.

I suspect that Hartman is the best QB on the squad passing the ball. That is the edge that has allowed him to challenge/displace Newman and Hinton. Hinton is the best running the football...no contest. Newman is second best in both categories. If the OL and running backs perform as projected, the need for the QB to run could be diminished and passing ability would be a determining factor in choosing a QB. Decision making in the RPO is highest priority. If Hartman and Newman show poorly "when the lights come on" Hinton will resume #1 status. Clawson has shown that he values experience and judgement in his QB. Hinton has the experience and is the known commodity "when the lights come on".

I know this is somewhat of a dilemma, but is t it a nice one to have compared to dilemmas in the past.

Hartman could be developing more quickly than some expected but it always comes down to actual game performance. If Hartman gets the nod you have to anticipate risk of health issues along the way which easily puts Hinton back in the equation as long as he behaves.

The team already knows who the better QB is. The only time you have a problem is when the head coach makes a decision contrary to what the team knows. Not gonna happen.

The team already knows who the better QB is. The only time you have a problem is when the head coach makes a decision contrary to what the team knows. Not gonna happen.

Are you speaking in theory or about the Wake Football team? If so who do you think is going to start on the 30th?

Are you speaking in theory or about the Wake Football team? If so who do you think is going to start on the 30th?

Newman starts and Hartman plays. I’m not at all certain the WF team knows who should start but like all teams each player has a personal favorite based on a million factors. Clawson has said that prior to right now this minute they’re evenly matched. If that changes during today’s scrimmage then maybe the team knows who should start after today’s scrimmage.

I know in 2006 after watching WF’s 3rd scrimmage it was crystal clear to my unsophisticated eyes that Riley Skinner should actually start. I suspect that August, 2006 WF team wouldn’t have agreed with me after that scrimmage and the coach certainly did not. Skinner did not start as he was third on the list but his footwork, timing, everything were superior to the 1st and 2d stringers ahead of him in that 3rd scrimmage.

Nobody really knows about these things all too well. It’s a very tricky business picking the QB in a tight competition until it’s actual game time, a la, the NFL experience with QB selection and performance.

Following Conor's twitter feed I'm going to go out on a limb and predict Newman @ QB and Sciba @ placekicker.

I don't know if it's that cut and dried. Newman's numbers look a little better, but the play descriptions look like Robinson and Claude made some awesome plays after catching the ball (especially Robinson, although it does seem like the throw to Clause over the middle was a good one). Also seems like Hartman got the most 1st team reps.

[All of the above is speculation based on about 12 tweets from C O'Neil]

Also, Conor ended the tweets by mentioning that Newman was on the trainer's table. Any update?

I don't know if it's that cut and dried. Newman's numbers look a little better, but the play descriptions look like Robinson and Claude made some awesome plays after catching the ball (especially Robinson, although it does seem like the throw to Clause over the middle was a good one). Also seems like Hartman got the most 1st team reps.

[All of the above is speculation based on about 12 tweets from C O'Neil]

Also, Conor ended the tweets by mentioning that Newman was on the trainer's table. Any update?

I didn't say it was cut and dried, I just said I was going out on a limb making a prediction. If it's still relatively even, I think upperclassman Newman gets the initial nod. Hartman can still win the job on the field if he can.

(And I'm not saying I'm hoping for this, or I want to be right, only that I feel it will turn out this way from what I sense and for what that's worth -- not much.)

I didn't say it was cut and dried, I just said I was going out on a limb making a prediction. If it's still relatively even, I think upperclassman Newman gets the initial nod. Hartman can still win the job on the field if he can.

(And I'm not saying I'm hoping for this, or I want to be right, only that I feel it will turn out this way from what I sense and for what that's worth -- not much.)

Gotcha, and point taken on saying you were gong out on a limb.

Wolford and Hinton took the majority of the meaningful snaps at QB. I would still view our QBs as being fairly green at this point, but Clawson moving Hinton to WR says the kids must be ready.
Did I miss something? Kendall Hinton got moved to receiver?

Did I miss something? Kendall Hinton got moved to receiver?

Yes, you've missed something. Probably best to say Hinton is #3 QB and in the mix behind Dortch when he comes back.

I’ll believe it when I see when it comes time Hinton playing WR

Back