• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football 2018 Offseason Discussion

Finally a coaching staff with the intelligence to play "the recruiting game" to win, rather than just open up everything to the public for needless transparency.

Debbie Downer question.

Who is taking Bates’ place?

Our backup safeties this year were....not good. As in we could get exposed.

The wildcard is Traveon Redd. It's easy to forget about him after he missed the entire season with a significant elbow injury. I would think that Luke Masterson and Redd would have to be the leading candidates to replace Bates.

I agree at LB. Nate Mays is the presumed starter at Mike but he didn't play enough to get a feel for the level of play there. Dawson played a ton of snaps. Have to think that we'll see one of the RS Fr. have to step up with Burley or Monroe or possibly Simpson with his little playing time as a freshman. I also don't know what spot DJ Taylor was slotted for as he was the early favorite in August to be the LB with playing time as a freshman until Simpson passed him at some point. We know Strnad with be at Buck but again the younger guys will need to step up as his backup and any injuries at either LB will leave us very inexperienced.

Demetrius Kemp and Ja'Cquez Williams have the rover set pretty well. Behind those two however, I have no idea since the roster has them all listed as LB (which is interesting by itself since in the 4-2-5 there are only 2 LB's and 3 safeties so the Rovers should be listed as DB's). So we have a pair but no clue as to the spare as Clawson would call it and an injury at the position could be tough. Really wish they would list the players on the roster at their actual position expected on the depth chart but I was told by Steve Shutt that they do it for recruiting purposes (I assume so that the recruit can't look at the roster and think that there are too many guys at his specific preferred position).

It's crazy how wide-open that other LB spot looks. We also need a 3rd LB at least to provide the starters with a breather. I saw that Chase Monroe had knee surgery earlier this month, but I don't know any details on the type of knee injury. So two of our best recruits (Burley and Monroe) are both LBs, but both have lost some development time to knee injuries.

So Mays, Burley, Monroe could all compete. Also, what about true freshman Ryan Smenda?

Wouldn't be surprised if Smenda plays as a true frosh. Clawson was particularly excited/praising of Smenda, and his tape looked ridiculous.

And Smenda was a recruit we were worried about other teams snatching him away.

Stnard has one locked down. Between Taylor, Simpson, Monroe, Burley, Smenda - we will have some athletic LBs going for that final spot.

I will go out on a limb and predict Ryan Smenda will start in 2018. Great hands and physical punch at point of attack. Championship wrestler..can really run..instincts and produces great stat lines. At 6’3-228 one of the more “out of the box” athletes WF has signed..

Ejiofor was invited to the Senior Bowl but did not attend. Might be awaiting the combine, business decision.

Stnard has one locked down. Between Taylor, Simpson, Monroe, Burley, Smenda - we will have some athletic LBs going for that final spot.

Stnard and Smenda at LBs? Sounds like Notre Dame players.

If the guys heal up well from their surgeries, there will be some pretty capable backups for whoever wins the starting spots. Should allow for rotations to keep them fresh for the second half.

I think I remember hearing Burley had his surgery early on (maybe before he even arrived at Wake). So we could see him as early as Spring.

Hopefully no one put money on this. Late homecoming this year, Nov. 3 vs. the cuse

That's a huge shock. Going to be cold for my thinning Florida blood.

Wouldn't be surprised if Smenda plays as a true frosh. Clawson was particularly excited/praising of Smenda, and his tape looked ridiculous.

Had 175 tackles, 21 tackles for loss, three blocked punts, four blocked field goals and one interception as a senior. He also had a lot of production on offense and was a very good punter. Football smarts and excellent student.

Back