• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ATP: Contact Lenses

CantStandYa

Reaction score
I've been wearing B+L Purevision lenses for the better part of 15 years and I'm pretty much done with them. They're not all that comfortable and I find that I notice them much more often on my eyes, especially later in the month. Anyone have recommendations for monthly or bi-weekly lenses? The expense of dailies seems way over the top to me.

And to preempt the suggestions, Lasik scares the shit out of me. Hard pass.

FYI, I had LASIK done 15 years ago and while it was great, its effects do wear off. I think the mixture of aging and everybody being glued to their computers/phones/TVs make it an increasingly temporary measure.

Acuvue Oasys are known as the best bi-weekly contact.

I've used them before and would recommend.

I have had Air Optix Aqua by ciba Vision for many years and they are great. They are monthly and I basically just leave them in for about 45 days and then switch.

I have astigmatism in one eye and a pretty strong prescription and I've had good luck with Acuvue Oasys.

Just go to your eye doctor and ask for a bunch of samples of different brands. Everyone's eyes are different.

Dailies are a certainly more expensive but some manufacturers have pretty good rebates available, especially the first time you buy (I think Alcon does something like a $200-225 rebate if you buy a years supply your first time and then it's been about $120 in subsequent years). They are very comfortable, don't even know they're there.

I have had Air Optix Aqua by ciba Vision for many years and they are great. They are monthly and I basically just leave them in for about 45 days and then switch.

this is what I use too. And I tend to us them way longer than a month because I forget, although I at least take them out nightly. This pair I'm wearing now has probably been used for quite a few months. So I guess that's a positive, this brand will not blind you when you forget to change out.

I've used these for years (and have astigmatism). I definitely use them for more than 2 weeks.*

* I'm not a doctor and it's not my fault if your eyes fall out.

FYI, I had LASIK done 15 years ago and while it was great, its effects do wear off. I think the mixture of aging and everybody being glued to their computers/phones/TVs make it an increasingly temporary measure.

I had mine done maybe 20 years ago. Distance vision is still a touch better than 20/20 but now I need reading lenses. I use a single contact in one eye for reading and keep the other eye for distance. The solution isn't perfect but I prefer it to wearing glasses.

This sounds absolutely miserable. You should probably invest in a monocle.

Strange as it is, your brain makes the two eyes work together just fine. I usually don't notice I am wearing the contact. For the lens, I wear a Acuvue Oasys daily. The method is perfect for weekends and evenings. Not as good as a good pair of reading glasses for extensive reading but good enough.

I switched to a daily lens and it was a game changer - way more comfortable, less eye irritation, etc. It’s worth the extra price, at least for me.

I switched to a daily lens and it was a game changer - way more comfortable, less eye irritation, etc. It’s worth the extra price, at least for me.

Getting mine in and out is still an ordeal 20 years later, 5-10 mins usually and painful. That's why I like the just keep em in for a few weeks and be done with them.

What's the ballpark price on a decent set of dailies? Monthlies usually run $200-250 for year's supply.

What's the ballpark price on a decent set of dailies? Monthlies usually run $200-250 for year's supply.

I could be wrong since I have some coverage through insurance but I think it was in the $450-$550 range, though rebates I mentioned above (and insurance) certainly help.

My insurance is pretty good, but I have astigmatism is one eye, so that balances everything out. But I think I paid $30 out of pocket for a ninety day supply - which, since I don’t wear mine every day, will last me six months.

Check with your employer. My wife's company has a partnership with 1800 contacts that gives a nice additional discount.

this is what I use too. And I tend to us them way longer than a month because I forget, although I at least take them out nightly. This pair I'm wearing now has probably been used for quite a few months. So I guess that's a positive, this brand will not blind you when you forget to change out.

Eye doc said these are being discontinued?

Back