• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

3 Votes in the NCAAFB Final Coach's Poll

We had a hotshot QB transfer from Georgia, Jamie Harris, who started the season. But he got knocked out of the opening game against Bruce Smith and VT.

Yeah, he never got his spot back either, but he did go out on a high note. Mike Elkins got suspended for his final game the next season didn't he and Harris led us to a win over Ga. Tech if I remember correctly.

Last edited:
It was. Before that ABC sports basically had a monopoly on college football broadcast. I remember a VT game in 1981 being on tv. Things really changed before the 1984 season.

I remember when you had maybe 2 or 3 games on Saturday and that was it. ABC usually had a double header and CBS usually had a game and that was it. So, back then it didn't matter who was playing, I was watching it because that was all you got. Now on a Saturday, you might have 10+ games on different channels at the same time and more than that when you count the online stuff.

That 1999 season was a roller coaster. In the last five regular season games, we rolled UAB 47-3 for Homecoming. We came back home and lost 12-3 to a 6-6 Clemson team. Then we went to Chapel Hill and beat a bad UNC team 19-3 to get to 5 wins. Then the next week, we lost to an equally bad Duke team in Wallace Wade with a bowl bid on the line and staring at a #12 ranked Tech team and we pulled off the crazy upset win.

That 1999 season was a roller coaster. In the last five regular season games, we rolled UAB 47-3 for Homecoming. We came back home and lost 12-3 to a 6-6 Clemson team. Then we went to Chapel Hill and beat a bad UNC team 19-3 to get to 5 wins. Then the next week, we lost to an equally bad Duke team in Wallace Wade with a bowl bid on the line and staring at a #12 ranked Tech team and we pulled off the crazy upset win.

Yeah and in that Duke game we got down bad in a hurry, everybody thought our bowl hopes were trashed after that, but then we upset Tech at Groves.

The 20-25 year old's have no idea how good they have it as Wake Football fans. I mean, hell, I'd throw myself in that category. Folks around our age(30) have witnessed more bowl victories than every generation before us saw us make bowl games, and it isn't even close. We are 7-2 in bowl games in my lifetime.

Before I was born, we were 1-2 in bowl games in our entire history.

Not to sound lame but we have been as competitive over the last 20 years, consistently, as we've been in our history, sans a few seasons.

Bingo.

Just for shits and grins, let's assume we DID play a 12th game in the 90's (Caldwell) and since we almost always sucked, that 12th game would be a Loss. That leaves:

2-10
3-9
1-11
3-9
5-7
3-9
8-5 (gave us a W here the year we were good)
2-10

Total: 27-70 or 38.5% wins; throw out the outlier in 1999 and we have 19-65 or 29% wins.

So, 1 win, not really, but 1-3 wins and no hope - definitely.

Grobe took Caldwell's recruits (thanks Jim C.) and in his words he "felt bad" about how hard he worked them that first year in particular to get them in shape and it was like a breath of fresh air, and wins or at least the hope/possibility to win was evident. So, why the wheels fell off after 2011, I am not sure, but rumor is golf was the issue. Imagine Chubb across from Ejiofor this year as an example of why the head coach needs to meet the recruits (and get off the golf course)...

That 2001 team should have gone to a bowl, but 9-11 messed up the entire world, literally (obviously). We came off that and lost 3 in a row. Then, all the bowls were full and we played the meaningless N. Illinois game and won to go 6-5. Our PF and PA that year were ridiculously close as almost all our games were nailbiters and our PF was 292 and PA 311, which is ridiculously close.

We had a hotshot QB transfer from Georgia, Jamie Harris, who started the season. But he got knocked out of the opening game against Bruce Smith and VT.

Jamie Harris QB'd in Al Groh's last game in a big upset of GT -- first time we beat them if I recall -- when starter Mike Elkins got suspended for something and wasn't allowed to play.

Edit: Now I see on the next page Liveanddie beat me to it. Late again.

Jamie Harris QB'd in Al Groh's last game in a big upset of GT -- first time we beat them if I recall -- when starter Mike Elkins got suspended for something and wasn't allowed to play.

Edit: Now I see on the next page Liveanddie beat me to it. Late again.

Great minds and all. It's cool to think back and remember those things.

I was a kid at the time but I also stormed the field against Ga Tech. I remember feeling euphoric when they flashed on the scoreboard "Aloha Bound" when we won that game.

Me too. Manifest Destiny (the poster) was 8 years old and got carried back to campus on top of one of the goalposts.

Honestly, if you weren't around for the pain and small victories of the Caldwell years then I can't respect your opinion on Wake football. You just don't know.

The best part about being a Wake fan in the 90s as a kid was running around the hill and fighting to catch the XPs.

Me too. Manifest Destiny (the poster) was 8 years old and got carried back to campus on top of one of the goalposts.

Honestly, if you weren't around for the pain and small victories of the Caldwell years then I can't respect your opinion on Wake football. You just don't know.

Honestly, if you weren't around for the pain and few victories of the Mills years then I can't respect your opinion on Wake football. You just don't know.

1973 1-9-1
1974 1-10 (including a midseason run where we went 5 straight games without scoring)
1975 3-8
1976 5-6
1977 1-10

Chuck Mills. Mastermind of the throw and go offense. The corollary was the fans wanted to throw up and go home.

It was that bad. And particularly so after the ACC title and winning seasons under Cal Stoll that preceded that mess.

Honestly, if you weren't around for the pain and few victories of the Mills years then I can't respect your opinion on Wake football. You just don't know.

1973 1-9-1
1974 1-10 (including a midseason run where we went 5 straight games without scoring)
1975 3-8
1976 5-6
1977 1-10

As I recall, during the 1973 season we played 3 games in a row (maybe OK, OSU and MD) and lost by about 156 to ). Most of the team was on crutches after those 3 games. Thanks Gene Hooks!

As I recall, during the 1973 season we played 3 games in a row (maybe OK, OSU and MD) and lost by about 156 to ). Most of the team was on crutches after those 3 games. Thanks Gene Hooks!

It was 1974- Oklahoma 63-0, Penn State 55-0, Maryland 47-0. Before Oklahoma, we lost to UNC 31-0 and after the Maryland game, we lost to UVa 14-0. The only win that season was in the last game over Furman 16-10 in front of a "crowd" of 7,800 people in Groves Stadium.

It was 1974- Oklahoma 63-0, Penn State 55-0, Maryland 47-0. Before Oklahoma, we lost to UNC 31-0 and after the Maryland game, we lost to UVa 14-0. The only win that season was in the last game over Furman 16-10 in front of a "crowd" of 7,800 people in Groves Stadium.

I'm not sure I've heard about this run. That is incredible.

I'm not sure I've heard about this run. That is incredible.

Similarly incredible: two years later, with many of the same players, WF was ranked, beat BOTH UGA (on the road) and Auburn, and played LSU in the Tangerine Bowl which was WF's first bowl appearance in a long time.

Similarly incredible: two years later, with many of the same players, WF was ranked, beat BOTH UGA (on the road) and Auburn, and played LSU in the Tangerine Bowl which was WF's first bowl appearance in a long time.

Seventies Wake FB was one hell of a rollercoaster ride. Conference championship, back to back winning seasons, then down to five games without scoring and only one win in the season to being ranked and beating national powers.

This.

Long time as in since 1949, that's a freaking long time. Of course bowl games weren't handed out like Christmas candy back then either.

Long time as in since 1949, that's a freaking long time. Of course bowl games weren't handed out like Christmas candy back then either.

Yes. That was one of the disappointments of the 1970 ACC championship season. No bowl game.

Back