• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

I think Danny has lost this team

4 games out of 17 is not a small sampling. That's just under 25% of games played.

If this is the argument trying to prop up the current coach then it is worse than I even thought. Just a terrible argument. "If we got a better result in a quarter of our games, things wouldn't be nearly as shitty!" Wow. What a vote of confidence!

Well 4 games and 17 games are "small samples", but yes I agree that 4/17 is not a small sample, as it's nearly a fourth of the entire sample size itself.

I don't think he has lost the team. The team is not as good as we thought they woud be(top 40% in the conf.) They are under-achieving, but you've got to give Danny next year to see if he can effectively coach a much more talented team that should be in the top four to five of the conference.

I don’t know that I would go into next season with a top 4 in acc standard. That’s really hard to do. I’m expecting to be easily in the tournament and continue to build on that the year after with all our returning players.

In order to be top 4, Hoard will have to play like a one and done and sarr/Chaundee both have to make strides

Wasn't an argument to prop up the coach or this team, just an observation about how 4 early season losses can ruin an entire season and discourage a fan base.

And if it's any saving grace Liberty and (especially) Drake are better than expected, and Georgia Southern and Houston are p good as originally thought. The first two in particular games Wake still should win in any year of course.

Our non-conference schedule strength is 121, which is at least 100 spots higher than I thought it would be when I first saw our slate.

Teams have bad rebuilding years. Oklahoma sucked last year with a really good coach in a rebuilding year. TBH I'm probably more discouraged that we couldn't do more than finish 10th place with last year's squad than with our failings this season

Manning is a good guy and a great recruiter but just isn't a good head coach.

I am very concerned that his in game coaching issues will squander the talent we have coming in. We could have the best recruiting class in the country every year and still not win championships with Manning. That's how bad his in game decisions are. He is Sidney Lowed 2.0.

Wake basketball coaches have been wasting talent for years.

+another one
Am watching South Carolina make a comeback to beat UK, and the biggest difference between this game and any of our losses this season is two things, players did what they were coached and practiced to do, and made shots. Nobody is perfect including Danny Manning, but this season is about the players we lost, and the players we have not doing the job they are coached to do. If you actually think Danny Manning doesn't know how to coach basketball there's nothing that will help you.

+another one
Am watching South Carolina make a comeback to beat UK, and the biggest difference between this game and any of our losses this season is two things, players did what they were coached and practiced to do, and made shots. Nobody is perfect including Danny Manning, but this season is about the players we lost, and the players we have not doing the job they are coached to do. If you actually think Danny Manning doesn't know how to coach basketball there's nothing that will help you.

A very important part of coaching is finding a way to reach kids and get them to do what you are teaching them to do. If you are unable to do this, the rest does not matter.

It is amazing the way some are able to parse the team's failure to absolve the coach and blame the kids. Let's hold the guy making millions accountable for results.

A very important part of coaching is finding a way to reach kids and get them to do what you are teaching them to do. If you are unable to do this, the rest does not matter.

It is amazing the way some are able to parse the team's failure to absolve the coach and blame the kids. Let's hold the guy making millions accountable for results.

Correct. This is 1/2 of coaching.

Manning is a dud. Total failure. We just have to wait out another debacle.

Side note...Think there's a chance our game gets cancelled tomorrow due to weather?

With the team we had last year coach Manning was able to get the players to do what they were coached to do quite often. Roster has changed, but the players who remain from last year haven't been nearly as effective in the roles they were already familiar with. Manning's not perfect, but the experienced returning players are also responsible for how they play. If you think the comparison between the coaches and players performance( wins and losses ) is based on who gets paid that's ridiculous.

+another one

I disagree with this take. In fact, South Carolina is an excellent example of what a good coach can help a team achieve. Frank Martin took over USC in 2012 and they have consistently improved since then, finishing 3rd in the SEC the last two years and going to the NCAA final 4 last year. USC is a great example of the influence the head coach can have in college basketball.

With the team we had last year coach Manning was able to get the players to do what they were coached to do quite often. Roster has changed, but the players who remain from last year haven't been nearly as effective in the roles they were already familiar with. Manning's not perfect, but the experienced returning players are also responsible for how they play. If you think the comparison between the coaches and players performance( wins and losses ) is based on who gets paid that's ridiculous.

I don't think Manning has "lost this team" and I'm still giving him the benefit of the doubt despite our obvious shortcomings, BUT...

I think many people are inflating what WF basketball did last season. Yes, we made it to the NCAA tournament. To get there, we won a total of 3 games against teams that earned at-large bids to that tournament (and BTW they combined to win 1 game there): Miami and Louisville at home, and VT on the road. That's it. Miami went 3-6 on the road in ACC play; Louisville went 4-5.

So we won two home games against teams that had losing road records in conference, and we beat VT on the road in a must-win game before cratering to them at the ACC tournament.

I don't think Manning has "lost this team" and I'm still giving him the benefit of the doubt despite our obvious shortcomings, BUT...

I think many people are inflating what WF basketball did last season. Yes, we made it to the NCAA tournament. To get there, we won a total of 3 games against teams that earned at-large bids to that tournament (and BTW they combined to win 1 game there): Miami and Louisville at home, and VT on the road. That's it. Miami went 3-6 on the road in ACC play; Louisville went 4-5.

So we won two home games against teams that had losing road records in conference, and we beat VT on the road in a must-win game before cratering to them at the ACC tournament.

We did that with the most efficient offensive player since Tim Duncan. It could well be argued that we wasted an incredible talent by getting beaten early in ACC tournament and by barely playing any defense at all in the NCAA play-in game. After falling back this hard with the loss of Collins, it is hard to see that this road leads anywhere good.

I disagree with this take. In fact, South Carolina is an excellent example of what a good coach can help a team achieve. Frank Martin took over USC in 2012 and they have consistently improved since then, finishing 3rd in the SEC the last two years and going to the NCAA final 4 last year. USC is a great example of the influence the head coach can have in college basketball.

And Tony Bennett. Sunday could get ugly.

Side note...Think there's a chance our game gets cancelled tomorrow due to weather?

Not if the team left early this morning. It's been pouring snow in Winston since 4:00 am. I'm sure they hit the road at daybreak.

Not if the team left early this morning. It's been pouring snow in Winston since 4:00 am. I'm sure they hit the road at daybreak.

Team is still in Winston, or at least was as of this afternoon:

Agree 100% with this South Carolina's players ARE doing what they've been coached to do. An excellent job by Frank Martin. But the players shoulder the responsibility on the court. To say Manning isn't being successful getting players to do the right thing is probably fair, but the PLAYERS who by now know what the right thing is just aren't doing it, and that's their responsibility as well.

Back