• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Australian Open Thread

Another American bites the dust. 8th seeded Sock bounced.

Fed/Nadal/Djok all advance in straight sets.

Del Po is so much fun to watch. His opponent Tiafoe, just can't do much with Del Po's serve. Didn't Tiafoe upset one of the big 4 in a major not to long ago? I can't remember who it was though.

I think he beat Zverev or however you spell it, not a big 4 member, but seeded top 4 I think. Could be wrong though

Tiafoe took Federer to five sets in the US Open, and lost a close 5th set.

Querrey already down 2 sets to none. This has already been a disastrous start for the Americans. Don't need Querrey going out early too.

tennis is a sport where I feel very little USA solidarity

the lack of American star has no bearing on my interest

This is the only tennis tournament that I ever watch, due to the time it is broadcast. I enjoy the hell out of it, and I have zero problems with Chris Fowler, Brad Gilbert or anyone else on the broadcast. I think ESPN sucks, but somehow this works for them.

Last edited:
djoker down in straight sets.

So, who had Tennys Sandgren (US player from Tennessee) against Hy Chung in the quarters?

Sandgren played two years at U of Tennessee and played the #4 spot for the Vols as freshman and #2 spot as a sophomore (behind Rhyne Williams). He turned pro in 2011, and for six years, he played in mostly Futures and Challenger events until breaking into the top 100 in 2017. Now, at 26, he is in the quarters of a major, and has a legit shot to advance, playing the #58 player in the world, Hy Chung, to advance to the semis. Kudos to Sandgren for sticking it out for years, when the notion of making him to the Final 8 of a major seemed farcical.

Randomly watched the Hsieh vs. Kerber match last night, and some of the shots Hsieh was hitting were incredible. The announcers were literally laughing at how ridiculous some were, and were comparing her to a regular club tennis player in terms of lack of power. Surely, someone will give her a sponsorship now.

Kerber is p good looking though, so not bummed she advanced.

Randomly watched the Hsieh vs. Kerber match last night, and some of the shots Hsieh was hitting were incredible. The announcers were literally laughing at how ridiculous some were, and were comparing her to a regular club tennis player in terms of lack of power. Surely, someone will give her a sponsorship now.

Kerber is p good looking though, so not bummed she advanced.

I watched Hsieh play Muguruza in an earlier round, and you're right, her shots are ridiculous. Lots of spin, slice, angles, two-handers, one-handers - she's all over the place.

I have TENNYS fever! Hell at this point and how well he’s playing...the hell with it, finish this run and win the whole damn thing! Let’s go!

Hard to imagine Federer not getting past Berdych and the Chung/Sandgren winner. Nadal still with some work to do though to set up another dream final with Cilic tonight and likely Dmitrov in the semis.

Still just incredible what these two are doing. They talk about Zverev, Kyrgios, Thiem, etc as if these are the young guys who are going to be the next to fill those shoes. Thiem is 24. In the years Fed and Nadal turned 24, they finished those years with 6 and 9 grand slams respectively.

Back