• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

KP Report on the NC State Wolfpack - 8 pm Thursday ACC Network ESPN 3

Pilchard

Reaction score
Here's the breakdown of the Pack (#68), which sadly have passed WF (#83) in the KP CB Ratings:

2017-8 Schedule: 12-6 (2-3). Top 100 wins (actually top 25 wins!) #24 Arizona by 6; #4 Duke by 11; #15 Clemson. Top 100 losses: #13 Tennessee by 11, #15 Clemson (yes, State has played Clemson twice already, by 16), #25 ND by 30, #3 UVA by 17. State has severe home/road splits. The Pack is 9-1 at home with wins over ranked Duke and Clemson (kudos to Home Games In Harms Way as the Wes "the Wizard" Miller led UNCG to a 5 point win at State). In contrast, State is 0-3 on the road with 3 blowout losses. The bad news for the Deacs is that this game is at State.

Offense: State is a solid offensive team (#46). They score points (90+ against Duke, Arizona; scored 100+ 3 times), and they try to push tempo (15.7 second average offensive possession #43). Their strength on offense is scoring in transition and taking the ball to the basket. 55% of their offense comes on 2 point shots (#47), and only 25% of their offense comes from 3s (#319). The Pack shoots 33% from 3 (#250). State hits the offensive boards hard (#12 in offensive rebounding percentage). They also protect the ball reasonably well on offense (#51 in TO%).

Defense: State is not as strong on defense (#131). State plays mostly man, and they pressure the ball forcing TOs on 22% of their defensive possessions (#31). Other than pressuring the ball, State is weak on D. They are particularly bad at protecting the defensive glass (#292), and their interior D is soft (#206 in defending the 2 point shot). State also is foul prone (#203 in FTA per FGA); WF is also foul prone; so, this game could take a while.

Roster: State is not a big team. They start: 6-0 (Beverly), 6-3 (Allerik Freeman), 6-6 (Dorn), 6-8 (Abu), 7-0 (Yurtseven). State plays with an 8 man rotation; their 3 primary bench players are two guards Markell Johnson (6-1) and Lavar Batts (6-2) and one big man (Lennard Freeman 6-8). Allerick Freeman is a Baylor transfer, and he struggled to score from the field shooting 29% from 3 and 36% from 2; but, he does get to the line a lot. Yurtseven has improved from last year. After struggling in all aspects as a frosh (JC abused him in particular), Yurtseven is shooting 60%+ from the field, including 65% from 3; he had the game of his life in the win over Clemson scoring 29 points and hitting 5 of 6 from 3. Yurtseven, Dorn, and Freeman all make more than 60% of their 2 point shots.

Bottom Line: KP projects an 82-78 State win. Other than the hiccup against UNC-G, State has been great at home. Given that WF swept the Pack last year, and that State is coming off a decisive loss at UVA, State will be apt to bring their A game. Really important that WF does not give up easy baskets on TOs (WF is actually #2 in the conference in best offensive TO% in ACC games), that WF defends the lane (hope WF goes big) and doesn't give up easy baskets. When State is forced to play half court basketball (against UVA, ND and @Clemson), they have struggled). Would help if Moore can stay out of foul trouble and win the matchup with Yurtseven. WF's next 3 games are daunting (UVA, Duke, @ L'ville -- all are projected as double digit losses); so, a loss makes likely a stumbling 1-8 conference start. Yikes.

Last edited:
NC State campus is closed today; are the Deacs safely on their way to Raleigh?

NC State campus is closed today; are the Deacs safely on their way to Raleigh?

Game is tomorrow night..........not tonight
Don't think any Wake team is going to spend a night in Raleigh.

Once the snow stops later this afternoon, the roads should improve. Pretty crappy out there now.

I am going to set a reminder on my phone to start a game thread at 730 tomorrow. I’m making the trip to the game so hopefully we come ready to play

1-8

Here's the breakdown of the Pack (#68), which sadly have passed WF (#83) in the KP CB Ratings:

2017-8 Schedule: 12-6 (2-3). Top 100 wins (actually top 25 wins!) #24 Arizona by 6; #4 Duke by 11; #15 Clemson. Top 100 losses: #13 Tennessee by 11, #15 Clemson (yes, State has played Clemson twice already, by 16), #25 ND by 30, #3 UVA by 17. State has severe home/road splits. The Pack is 9-1 at home with wins over ranked Duke and Clemson (kudos to Home Games In Harms Way as the Wes "the Wizard" Miller led UNCG to a 5 point win at State). In contrast, State is 0-3 on the road with 3 blowout losses. The bad news for the Deacs is that this game is at State.

Offense: State is a solid offensive team (#46). They score points (90+ against Duke, Arizona; scored 100+ 3 times), and they try to push tempo (15.7 second average offensive possession #43). Their strength on offense is scoring in transition and taking the ball to the basket. 55% of their offense comes on 2 point shots (#47), and only 25% of their offense comes from 3s (#319). The Pack shoots 33% from 3 (#250). State hits the offensive boards hard (#12 in offensive rebounding percentage). They also protect the ball reasonably well on offense (#51 in TO%).

Defense: State is not as strong on defense (#131). State plays mostly man, and they pressure the ball forcing TOs on 22% of their defensive possessions (#31). Other than pressuring the ball, State is weak on D. They are particularly bad at protecting the defensive glass (#292), and their interior D is soft (#206 in defending the 2 point shot). State also is foul prone (#203 in FTA per FGA); WF is also foul prone; so, this game could take a while.

Roster: State is not a big team. They start: 6-0 (Beverly), 6-3 (Allerik Freeman), 6-6 (Dorn), 6-8 (Abu), 7-0 (Yurtseven). State plays with an 8 man rotation; their 3 primary bench players are two guards Markell Johnson (6-1) and Lavar Batts (6-2) and one big man (Lennard Freeman 6-8). Allerick Freeman is a Baylor transfer, and he struggled to score from the field shooting 29% from 3 and 36% from 2; but, he does get to the line a lot. Yurtseven has improved from last year. After struggling in all aspects as a frosh (JC abused him in particular), Yurtseven is shooting 60%+ from the field, including 65% from 3; he had the game of his life in the win over Clemson scoring 29 points and hitting 5 of 6 from 3. Yurtseven, Dorn, and Freeman all make more than 60% of their 2 point shots.

Bottom Line: KP projects an 82-78 State win. Other than the hiccup against UNC-G, State has been great at home. Given that WF swept the Pack last year, and that State is coming off a decisive loss at UVA, State will be apt to bring their A game. Really important that WF does not give up easy baskets on TOs (WF is actually #2 in the conference in best offensive TO% in ACC games), that WF defends the lane (hope WF goes big) and doesn't give up easy baskets. When State is forced to play half court basketball (against UVA, ND and @Clemson), they have struggled). Would help if Moore can stay out of foul trouble and win the matchup with Yurtseven. WF's next 3 games are daunting (UVA, Duke, @ L'ville -- all are projected as double digit losses); so, a loss makes likely a stumbling 1-8 conference start. Yikes.

1-8 Soon becomes 1-11............................

Live in South Raleigh and its still snowing. We've gotten a pretty good amount today! Curious to see if it will get cancelled or not. They mine as well just go ahead and give the pack the win and save us some gas money

Pretty sure most do. Bball and football definitely do. Les tweeted this afternoon that they were about to leave.

ACCN/ESPN3 for me, since the UVA/GT game in Atlanta is all that will be shown on TV in Georgia.

Which sucks, because I'd like the watch the game in it's entirety, but I can't start it until 9pm. Well, because it tips at 8pm, I have to wait until it is over to start the replay streaming. Going to be a late night.

every Wake football and basketball team spends the night in Raleigh

they drove over last night, per usual

How can we get those sweet jackets the players are always sporting?? My boys would love these! Go DEACS!

How can we get those sweet jackets the players are always sporting?? My boys would love these! Go DEACS!

I thought the same of the Nike Belk Bowl sweatshirts our football team got but I think some things they make unique for the players, which is understandable.

state -4.5

Sucks to think about losing to them and their first year coach after having swept them last season with a 30 pt LJVM blow-out to boot. :(

state -4.5

Sucks to think about losing to them and their first year coach after having swept them last season with a 30 pt LJVM blow-out to boot. :(

State could easily lay an egg against us. They are pretty inconsistent and get erratic play from Al Freeman. It will be interesting to see how Moore and Sarr do against Yurt.

state -4.5

They had more talent last year but a shittier coach. The inverse will win more games.

Good matchup for us. No shooters with length and no elite talent at the 4.

If we can defend well enough to shut down one or their top 4 scorers we should be able to win.

Not sure this team can pull off an ACC road win though. Keyshawn getting hurt for the easy games in our schedule was such a dick punch. Just like Sarr getting hurt right at the start of the season.

Yurt not being a complete stiff has been one of the bigger surprises (for me) this college basketball season.

Can't believe Abu is still around. He's one of those guys that seems like he's been in college forever.

Back