• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest @ NC State Game Thread

Part of the reason our 4 guard lineup is ineffective is our 4 guards are ineffective.

Part of the reason our 4 guard lineup is ineffective is our 4 guards are ineffective.

I don't think they are that bad when they are played 2 at a time and asked to play guard. They look hopeless when trying to play small forward and power forward.

They also are not sufficiently different to complement each other. Manning loves a shooter. Somehow he sees a bunch of Steph Curry's out there when he see our guards.

Good points.

Was out of town and just caught the replay. That was... unreal. What a debacle this year is. When Doral got the dunk and the foul with a couple minutes left I really thought we had it. Then those last possessions... Just absurd. Sarr tries to pass the ball when he's 3 feet from the bucket and turns it over giving them a breakaway, tied. Then Sarr hangs in the corner looking lost instead of flashing high to give Crawford an option. The result is right when he's going to pass it back to Wilbekin across the timeline an NC State defender jumps toward Wilbekin and Crawford has to pass it behind the line and it's a 10 second call. Manning yanks him for Chill. Next we get NC State on offense, they accidentally throw the ball off Yurtseven's face and it ricocheted so far that Crawford can't get it and they hit a jumper. Okey dokey. Childress immediately breaks the press with Wilbekin, we get a great screen on a ball reversal to Crawford who splits the defense for a layup. But he misses it and Yurtseven maybe gets away with basket interference. Next Beverly puts his head down and dribbles straight into a double team and is totally dead pinned on the baseline under the basket, but Woods actually drops his hands and stops playing defense for a second, giving him a passing lane and they hit an elbow jumper. Then it's just a cluster fuck. Wilbekin just blindly jacks a 3 like we're down 9 points instead of 4, despite the fact that Doral is pointing at the rim with nobody in his way for a simple dunk. Would have been a 2 point game with 50 seconds. Instead we have to foul, and the game is effectively over.

It wasn't quite UVA-comeback ridiculous, but damn. Throw in the fact that Doral took two made buckets away from us on basket interference, and Craw/Chill combine for 0/9 from deep and we only made 4 threes total. It's like we're finding the most painful, absurd, and dumb ways to lose possible. Can't really fault the in-game coaching since every play was right there to be made for the win - I typically hate the 4 guard lineup as well but Sarr was a deer in headlights towards the end and NC State had zero size. The matchups didn't hurt us, just horrid execution. The Wilbekin 3 and the Crawford layup were just brutal.

Yep, it was really astonishingly poor execution from our players. The 4 guard lineup is bad in general for our personnel but it didn’t lose us the game. Just bad all around late game.

Keatts needs guards people that can shoot and that can drive penetrate on top of what he expects pressure wise. He doesn't have a single player on the roster that can do what he wants to do or be a "go to scorer" on the wing. It's remarkable that he's got NCSU where we are considering our only consistent shooters are Beverly and Yurt. This team will look and play completely different next season when he gets his type of players in here + Daniels and Bryce.

Agree with everything that you guys are saying regarding Moore/Sarr together, NCSU had no answer for that last night and you guys did us a huge favor going away from it at the end. We were getting nothing inside while they were in the game.

I'm on the fence w/Keatts. He did great at UNC -W. Beating Duke, Zona, Clemson, etc is not easy for a 1st year coach. And, we are forgetting that Abu only played about 12 minutes against us. If he played 30-35 mins- IMO, we lose by a lot more.

Saar needs more game time. He is playing tentative causing him to be just a fraction late on shots and decisions. Hopefully, that improves with more minutes.

I'm on the fence w/Keatts. He did great at UNC -W. Beating Duke, Zona, Clemson, etc is not easy for a 1st year coach. And, we are forgetting that Abu only played about 12 minutes against us. If he played 30-35 mins- IMO, we lose by a lot more.

Saar needs more game time. He is playing tentative causing him to be just a fraction late on shots and decisions. Hopefully, that improves with more minutes.

Abu is a shell of himself at this point. The injury during the offseason cut his explosiveness and he added some extra weight imo. He’s also consistently out of position defensively. His go to move is a mid range jumper that he hits with little to no consistency. Feel bad for the guy but Abu only playing 12 min was not a bad thing for NCSU.

Interesting. I heard that he hurt his knee, but was not aware of the weight issues and not being in playing shape. It's a shame, because he seemed like a good dude and always had a smile on his face. Of course, I primarily saw him vs. Wake so he had reason to smile...

Why is our game tomorrow during the football games? Blah, crappy scheduling.

Why is our game tomorrow during the football games? Blah, crappy scheduling.

It was done so that Wake fans would have something to switch to as soon as the game got out of hand (early first half). One of Wellman's better moves.

Interesting. I heard that he hurt his knee, but was not aware of the weight issues and not being in playing shape. It's a shame, because he seemed like a good dude and always had a smile on his face. Of course, I primarily saw him vs. Wake so he had reason to smile...

Yea he just looks a little heavy compared to years past. 4 year dude who stayed through a coaching change I was really hoping he would have a good year but looks like he’s still not confident in his knee. He’s going to have a few moments as the season but Wake was a really bad matchup for him

We will stomp them when they come to the Joel (if everybody is still on the team and haven't quit)

LMAO! Yeah, okay.

That was a very lively crowd. The video doesn't lie.

But please share some of that insightful analysis for which coredeac is known. Here's one of those coredeac gems "Wolford is not a P5 QB. Not even close."

That was a very lively crowd. The video doesn't lie.

But please share some of that insightful analysis for which coredeac is known. Here's one of those coredeac gems "Wolford is not a P5 QB. Not even close."

I'm enjoying the new spin from the Fire Manning folks - that Bz beating Duke, UNC and State in his 4th year was somehow a better measuring stick of success than Manning making the tournament in year 3. Nevermind the fact that only Duke would end the season as a ranked team that year of those 3, or that those 3 ACC wins were half of our total ACC wins that year cementing a 4th year of zero postseason invites of any kind, and that no players left early or were even a threat to leave early, and that no impact players were on the way into the program for year 5.

But yeah, those were the good old days. Not beating #8 Louisville and winning our first round ACC tournament game, and not getting named on Selection Sundfy finally after so many years of not even sniffing the bubble. We just miss those meaningless wins during god-awful years.

Back