• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU/NCSU Rivalry Trophy

My Dad was one of the student managers for Bones until the spring of 1960. Just asked if he recalled this after he graduated and he said he did remember the incident but didn't know the location of the chair. He laughed and said, "had a lot of good times working for Bones." Nice to hear him laugh as he's had a tough time physically over the last few years.

The story about the chair was pretty well known when I was on campus. I believe Dan Collins included the story in his book on Wake basketball.

UNC-Duke play for a bell. But I think all the Tobacco Road rivalries should have a rivalry trophy to play for.

I'll tell y'all a little story. In my life I got to know Bones McKinney. I was a young buck when this occurred. One day, out of the blue, he says to me...." Willy, you need to call me coach." I about shat my pants. He just put me on the level with Hemric as no one in my time would ever call him that if you had not played for him. Years later I went to his funeral. I loved Bones McKinney. The stories I could tell. We had some sweet times together.

Bones liked Pepsi and my Dad was involved in one of Bones' deals over Pepsi bottles one time. Unforgettable Showman.....

Also have heard many stories over a fistfight with the Holes one year.

The story about the chair was pretty well known when I was on campus. I believe Dan Collins included the story in his book on Wake basketball.

UNC-Duke play for a bell. But I think all the Tobacco Road rivalries should have a rivalry trophy to play for.

Seems like Fedora and Doren are of the opinion they should be fitted for a crown anytime they "claim" the "N.C. Championship"

Was talking to an older gentlemen at work the other day who is a Wake fan. He has talked about the Big Four tournament several times to me and how he misses that.

It's the Big Three here in the Triangle area now. No word of Wake at all anymore. :(

That is unless we let other teams shut us out at games end- then we get some mention.

I just want to confidently talk trash at games again and it not totally backfire.

I believe I went to that game. My father was a "State Graduate" and he took me to most of the Dixie Classic games. (When it was time for me to go to college Dad said that he would pay for Wake or State. He would not pay for me to go to Carolina. He was serious.)

On another occasion didn't Bones strap himself into a chair with a seat belt after getting a technical for jumping up and yelling at the refs?

Bones was a legend!

My father was a "State Graduate" and he took me to most of the Dixie Classic games. (When it was time for me to go to college Dad said that he would pay for Wake or State. He would not pay for me to go to Carolina. He was serious.)

My Dad raised me a State fan, as he graduated there in '67. I am an only child, and when his mother died, she left me a college fund. He told me when I was in high school that there was money to go to almost any school in the country, but if I wanted to fo to Carolina, I was paying myself, and he was getting a beach house. I went to App.

I also remember when I was 7 and we were watching the '82 championship game. I noticed that he was pulling for Georgetown, and asked him why he was pulling against Carolina, being from the ACC and all. His reply- "I'd pull for the Viet Cong over Carolina." And he served in Vietnam.

Last edited:
I believe I went to that game. My father was a "State Graduate" and he took me to most of the Dixie Classic games. (When it was time for me to go to college Dad said that he would pay for Wake or State. He would not pay for me to go to Carolina. He was serious.)

On another occasion didn't Bones strap himself into a chair with a seat belt after getting a technical for jumping up and yelling at the refs?

Bones was a legend!

Yes, he did do the seat belt deal for a while. He was pretty good in PR actions and a smart showman, as well as an excellent coach. I'd say he was our best ever, '50s to today. (five consecutive ACC finals appearance, 2 wins and a final 4 in his 8 years (?) as head coach)

Last edited:
Bump.

WHY is this chair not either searched for or recreated. It's funny af and unique. This needs to happen immediately, someone get this in front of Currie or a booster. There are no CBB rivalry trophies that I know of, this would get a lot of positive press and meme potential.

I love the goofy college football trophies. It is such a missed opportunity that there is not something between the Tobacco Road schools in football or basketball. The bell between Duke and UNC is pretty lame. A bronzed tobacco leaf statue or other state symbols - clay, bricks, granite - would be fantastic.

Back