• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Shooting at the Barn

rj - i don't think wake was exactly the pinnacle of diversity during your tenure on campus either!

Far more economically diverse, certainly not as much racial or religious diversity.

Gated communities are not very diverse economically.

Far more economically diverse, certainly not as much racial or religious diversity.

Gated communities are not very diverse economically.

Somebody posting "I went to wake, but was only kinda rich not REALLY rich" in three, two, one......

Been a long time since I've been there. Are there gates on Polo Road? One can't even sneak in the back way?

Somebody posting "I went to wake, but was only kinda rich not REALLY rich" in three, two, one......

i went to Wake in the 90s as the son of rural NC public school teacher/farmers, with lots of scholarship help from MSD. Let's just say that I generally had the crappiest car in the parking lot. I knew some kids who were from similar family income levels, but not many.

Are the gates manned all night? Reason I ask is that I check in on my buddy's house on Royal from time to time, as he lives in Tallahassee and Atlanta. I always go during the day, so it's no problem, but what if I have to go take care of an emergency in the middle of the night? Could I not even be able to get to his house if something happened?

I'm pretty sure there is a security guard in the gatehouse from 10 pm until 6 am. I would guess that if there was an emergency they could get another security guard to go with you to the property. Or, if you wanted to be proactive I'm sure the homeowner could have you added to the list to allow access at night. It's not Fort Knox.

Some folks were so poor back then that they had to hitchhike back and forth to Randleman each weekend to visit the high school girls. Consider yourself lucky that you had a car and could go after underage rural chicks any time you wanted.

The TOTAL I spent at Wake for 4 years might get a kid to Thanksgiving of his/her frosh year now. There were tons of truly middle class kids at Wake when I was there. You have no clue what you are talking about.

The TOTAL I spent at Wake for 4 years might get a kid to Thanksgiving of his/her frosh year now. There were tons of truly middle class kids at Wake when I was there. You have no clue what you are talking about.

a shame your generation took over and jacked up the rates

Actually, the prices were raised before "my generation" had the power to do so. But don't be bothered by facts. You so rarely are.

i'd like to get this thread more off topic, can you keep going rj?

here's some info to get you more riled up, buddy

XQpG4oY.png

XQpG4oY.png

Our generation had no one on the Board of Trustees when they started the dramatic increases that continue through today.

Per Capita income in 1971 was about $7000 and Wake cost about $2500 all in.

In 2016 per capita income was about $58,000 and Wake cost about $65,000 all in.

Clearly, more true middle income people could afford Wake when it cost about 35% of per capita income vs. 112% of today.

The urban legend was that in the 80s there was a downturn in applications and a study was done as to why. The alleged, bizarre answer was HS guidance counselors didn't believe a school that was so cheap could be so good. So, the Trustees started huge increases in the cost to go to Wake.

No, the lie is yours ITC. Not many Wake Trustees in their 20s, but keep looking for others to blame. You're really good at it.

XQpG4oY.png

nice chart; is there a similar chart for the next 15 years?

$1000 in 1968 to $4700 in 1983 is an average annual increase of 10.9% over that 15-year span

I recall several “town hall” type meetings in maybe ‘82-‘84 where administration expressed concern that Wake was seen as a “value” school.

significant increases to tuition were definitely a part of TK Hearn's plan to change WF from a regional player to a national university; however the chart above shows annual increases averaging just under 11% for 15 years before then

To look at it another way, in the 60s you could not buy a new car for what it cost to go to Wake. Today you can get almost any new vehicle for the cost of a year at Wake.

Back