• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Shooting at the Barn

But it wasn't linear. From 70-71 to 72-73 it only went up a total of $200. It went up $1550 to $1750 for three years. Then under 10% for 74-75 to 75-76 and under 5% for 75-76 to 76-77.

Additionally as the rate gets higher, even at 11%, you start eliminating more people quicker.

Other costs impact the total cost of attendance as well. I remember my dad giving me a "bonus" to have $20/week for food my soph year as the meal plan was about $15/week at The Pit.

Our generation had no one on the Board of Trustees when they started the dramatic increases that continue through today.

Per Capita income in 1971 was about $7000 and Wake cost about $2500 all in.

In 2016 per capita income was about $58,000 and Wake cost about $65,000 all in.

Clearly, more true middle income people could afford Wake when it cost about 35% of per capita income vs. 112% of today.

The urban legend was that in the 80s there was a downturn in applications and a study was done as to why. The alleged, bizarre answer was HS guidance counselors didn't believe a school that was so cheap could be so good. So, the Trustees started huge increases in the cost to go to Wake.

nah after the 8X Deacs started matriculating they realized they needed a higher barrier of entry so they wouldn't continue to produce grads like TheReff.

I'm pretty sure there is a security guard in the gatehouse from 10 pm until 6 am. I would guess that if there was an emergency they could get another security guard to go with you to the property. Or, if you wanted to be proactive I'm sure the homeowner could have you added to the list to allow access at night. It's not Fort Knox.

Good call. I'll get on that.

I was impressed that we were need-blind in the 70s-80s. I did not know this policy had officially changed but must admit from all appearances it has. I thought just the sheer sticker shock was limiting needy applicants.

Last edited:
But it wasn't linear. From 70-71 to 72-73 it only went up a total of $200. It went up $1550 to $1750 for three years. Then under 10% for 74-75 to 75-76 and under 5% for 75-76 to 76-77.

Additionally as the rate gets higher, even at 11%, you start eliminating more people quicker.

Other costs impact the total cost of attendance as well. I remember my dad giving me a "bonus" to have $20/week for food my soph year as the meal plan was about $15/week at The Pit.

What did you do with the extra $5/week?

What kind of internet points will be available on OGBoards2? Will they help your reputation in a positive manner?

It made it easier to eat out. Of course back then, Shakey's on Reynolda Road had a lunch buffet for $2.99. A Staley's Special was either $0.99 or $1.19. I think it was something like $1.75 for a hamburger steak, salad and ice tea at The Lighthouse downtown.

Of course, I also would get a 1/4 pound of pot for $45 and friends would get zs for $15 or a pound for $135-160 and sell three quarters of a pound for $45-55 and then the zs would add to my food money.

I had to look up what "z's" are. Urban Dictionary says: "When a young (Usually black male) sells Ounces of Cocaine". So, your young black friends would buy pounds of cocaine?

back then it was pot...coke was really, really, really rare...

Our generation had no one on the Board of Trustees when they started the dramatic increases that continue through today.

Per Capita income in 1971 was about $7000 and Wake cost about $2500 all in.

In 2016 per capita income was about $58,000 and Wake cost about $65,000 all in.

Clearly, more true middle income people could afford Wake when it cost about 35% of per capita income vs. 112% of today.

The urban legend was that in the 80s there was a downturn in applications and a study was done as to why. The alleged, bizarre answer was HS guidance counselors didn't believe a school that was so cheap could be so good. So, the Trustees started huge increases in the cost to go to Wake.

Eh, you are comparing apples and oranges. Wake has a handy net price calculator ( http://financialaid.wfu.edu/net-price-calculator/ ). If you put in a $58k HH income (the median more or less), $50k in savings / checking, $10k in non-retirement investments, $80k in home equity, and one sibling, you end-up with a $56k in need-based scholarships, bringing the estimated net price at $16k per year. To be clear, that includes room and board, books, and $2400 for personal and travel expenses.

This isn't to say Wake doesn't have work to do on cost of attendance, but part of that is charging those who can afford it way more than what a Wake education actually costs so they can help subsidize those who can't afford what it does cost.

ETA: I would like to see a stat that gives insight into whether or not Wake is less economically diverse than it once was. It wouldn't surprise me if it is.

Health care inflation, 1970 - 2016: 2800%, which is an outrageous number

WFU tuition inflation for those that can "afford" it, 1970 - 2016: 4300%

Health care inflation, 1970 - 2016: 2800%, which is an outrageous number

WFU tuition inflation for those that can "afford" it, 1970 - 2016: 4300%

Wake remains an excellent value for lower-income families (sometimes better than state schools) but they sqeezed out all the value for upper income families. I would end up paying full price for any of my kids to attend but we are not considering it at that price. And if I was willing to pay over $70k per year, they could go to any school in the country so there are others they would prefer at that price.

What kind of internet points will be available on OGBoards2? Will they help your reputation in a positive manner?

Right now the only internet points loaded onto OGBoards 2 are kindness karma points.

Back