• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Shooting at the Barn

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. — Winston-Salem police have released photos of three men they’re looking to interview in connection with the death of a Winston-Salem State University football player who was shot and killed at an event at Wake Forest University Saturday morning.

Najee Ali Baker, 21, was taken to a hospital and died, according to a Winston-Salem police press release.

Police were called to The Barn, an event venue on the school’s campus in the 1800 block of Wake Forest Drive, at about 1 a.m. after a gunshot was fired.

Police said the victim was shot following an argument. It happened at an event hosted by the Pi Omicron chapter of the Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc., a Wake Forest University student organization.

Authorities are identifying and interviewing everyone who was involved in the altercation.

Winston-Salem police do not believe the shooter remained on campus. Nobody has been arrested in the shooting. Police said it appears to be an isolated incident.

The victim was a transfer student and walk-on to the Winston-Salem State University football team. His major was physical education.

Anyone with additional information is asked to contact the Winston-Salem Police Department at (336) 773-7700 or Crime Stoppers at (336) 727-2800.

shootingsuspects.png

Baker was outside The Barn when he was shot, Capt. Steven Tollie said Tuesday. Baker was taken to Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center where he died from his injuries.

Prior to the shooting, there was an altercation involving several people that occurred inside The Barn, police said. Officials declined to state what the altercation was about and wouldn't say if Baker was believed to be a part of it.

Police have also declined to say how many times Baker was shot.

Detectives are still investigating how many people were involved in the shooting, Tollie said, and whether Baker was targeted.

“It’s still a very active investigation,” he said. “It’s too early to speculate.”

It’s unclear how many people were at the party. Police referred that question to Wake Forest University. A call to the school was not immediately returned.

http://www.journalnow.com/news/crim...3-a55f-2e216bebb7a2.html?utm_source=WSJ Email

So Delta Sigma Theta is losing their charter right? If you are done for hurting a pig, or making people drink to much certainly murder supersedes those.

I would imagine so if any of the women of DST were involved in the murder.

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. — Winston-Salem police have released photos of three men they’re looking to interview in connection with the death of a Winston-Salem State University football player who was shot and killed at an event at Wake Forest University Saturday morning.

Najee Ali Baker, 21, was taken to a hospital and died, according to a Winston-Salem police press release.

Police were called to The Barn, an event venue on the school’s campus in the 1800 block of Wake Forest Drive, at about 1 a.m. after a gunshot was fired.

Police said the victim was shot following an argument. It happened at an event hosted by the Pi Omicron chapter of the Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc., a Wake Forest University student organization.

Authorities are identifying and interviewing everyone who was involved in the altercation.

Winston-Salem police do not believe the shooter remained on campus. Nobody has been arrested in the shooting. Police said it appears to be an isolated incident.

The victim was a transfer student and walk-on to the Winston-Salem State University football team. His major was physical education.

Anyone with additional information is asked to contact the Winston-Salem Police Department at (336) 773-7700 or Crime Stoppers at (336) 727-2800.

shootingsuspects.png

Those look like video stills from the surveillance cameras at the barn. I wonder if any of the outside cameras caught anything.

I care. That's why I'd urge anyone pushing conspiracy rhetoric to actually contact local law enforcement if you're concerned with the handling of the case.

The Rand Corporation, in conjunction with the saucer people, under the supervision of reverse vampires and what the hey, the Las Vegas shooter are keeping the information secret in a fiendish plot to end the meal of dinner.

So Delta Sigma Theta is losing their charter right? If you are done for hurting a pig, or making people drink to much certainly murder supersedes those.
Thats dumb. Why would those girls be responsible for a murder? Unless one of them is the shooter or conspired with the shooter, why should they be punished?

Two thoughts:

1. It's insane that it took 2 hours to send out alerts to the campus about a shooting on campus

2. This would be getting a lot more attention if it was a shooting at a Tri Delt function

I've gotten ten or so emails the last few days from admins and councils on-campus. It's a big deal if you're a student/staff/faculty member. Here's the latest (5 pm):

Dear Wake Forest University Students, Faculty and Staff,

Earlier today, you received an update from the Winston-Salem Police Department about three men detectives seek to interview as part of their ongoing investigation. Anyone with information regarding the whereabouts of the men depicted in the photographs is asked to call the Winston-Salem Police Department (336-773-7700) or CrimeStoppers at (336-727-2800).

In addition to calling attention to the update provided by the Winston-Salem Police Department, I also want to address a few concerns and rumors we have heard on and off campus.

* There is concern being expressed about the delay between the shooting and the initial campus notification. The time that elapsed between the shooting and the initial notification to the campus community was too long. We are undertaking a thorough review to determine what contributed to the delay. Nothing is more important than the safety of our campus community and those visiting our campus, and we are committed to improving the timeliness of our warnings.

* There is a rumor that there was not security at an event where approximately 475 people were present. At this point in the investigation, we can confirm that there was security at the event in accordance with our standard practices for late-night parties at the Barn. A uniformed University Police officer and hired security staff were present.

* Some are asking why people were in attendance who were not Wake Forest students. It is not uncommon for students from other area schools to attend events here on campus. Our open campus contributes to a sense of shared community and vibrant social life, particularly for our underrepresented students. We are reviewing our event management processes to increase clarity of who is on our campus, and to help provide a safe experience for our students and visitors.

* I’ve been asked about the status of the investigation and why the shooter has not yet been apprehended. As the Winston-Salem Police Department stated this afternoon, the investigation remains active and ongoing. We continue to support their investigation and have colleagues across the University who are working tirelessly toward that end.

The past few days have left our campus community unsettled. I am grateful for the many ways in which Wake Foresters have united to support one another.

A vigil to honor Najee Baker will be held at the Winston-Salem State Clock Tower on Wednesday from 5-6 p.m. Wake Forest will operate a shuttle on a first come, first served basis that will depart the Benson University Center Circle at 4 p.m.

My thoughts and prayers continue to be with the family and friends of Najee Baker. We will continue walking with our friends at Winston-Salem State as we work to help our communities heal.

Sincerely,

Nathan O. Hatch

President

Thats dumb. Why would those girls be responsible for a murder? Unless one of them is the shooter or conspired with the shooter, why should they be punished?

I am guessing you have never met with the administration regarding fraternity/sorority related issues. From numerous meetings with them over the past 25 years I can tell you that this logic has never worked when issues arise, even if the host was not directly responsible. And that is not even considering the heat that would come from the National Fraternity/Sorority organization.

5a6908afb70e1.image.jpg

Jakier Shanique Austin

5a6908af8063d.image.jpg

Malik Patience Smith

Courtesy of Winston-Salem police
MORE INFORMATION

Winston-Salem police are looking for a 21-year-old wanted in connection with Saturday's shooting death of a Winston-Salem State University football player at Wake Forest University.

A Forsyth County magistrate has issued arrest warrants charging Jakier Austin, 21, with murder and possession of a firearm on educational property, police said.

Austin, who police have not located, is described as standing 5 feet, 10 inches tall, weighing about 160 pounds and having tattoos on both arms, police said.

Najee Ali Baker, 21, of Brooklyn, N.Y., was shot while attending a party at WFU. Baker was attending the party at The Barn when he was shot about 1 a.m., police said. The Barn is an events center on the WFU campus, near Piccolo and Palmer residence halls.

The party was hosted by the university's chapter of the Delta Sigma Theta sorority.

Winston-Salem police have located and interviewed two of the three males whose photos they released Tuesday in connection with the investigation. Austin is one of those men, police said.

Another of the three, Malik Patience Smith, 16, of Winston-Salem, was arrested Wednesday and charged with possession of a handgun by a minor, assault by pointing a gun and possession of a firearm on educational property, police said.

Smith was being held Wednesday afternoon in the Forsyth County Jail with no bond allowed.

The charges against Smith are in connection to another incident related to the shooting at WFU, police said.

Juan Mortimer, 24, was the victim of an assault in which a gun was pointed at him, police said. That incident occurred about the same time that Baker was shot, police said.

Detectives continue to investigate this incident and are still seeking witnesses with information about the events of January 20. Authorities ask that anyone with information contact the Winston-Salem Police Department at 336-773-7700 or CrimeStoppers at 336-727-2800.

Maybe it's getting attention on campus, but if this was a shooting at a Wake Tri Delt function it would be like CNN level of attention

Especially if one of the suspects was a 16 year old white girl.

Given that there was a 16 year old at the party and involved in this shooting, I think DST is definitely in trouble at Wake.

The charge is that the 16 year old held a crowd at bay with a gun while the 21 year old shot the victim. Terrible. Both the 16 and 21 year old have been charged with several previous crimes. http://www.journalnow.com/news/crim...ign=blox&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

So yeah, they were definitely both criminals, at least one with prior felonies. Not sure how WFU would have prevented them from coming to a party on an open campus, but something to be considered moving forward, for sure.

Yep, one of the newspaper articles mentioned attendees were required to have a student ID, but that would be next to impossible to enforce outside the barn. I could see them requiring one to get inside, but there are so many different approaches to the outside.

So yeah, they were definitely both criminals, at least one with prior felonies. Not sure how WFU would have prevented them from coming to a party on an open campus, but something to be considered moving forward, for sure.

Campus is open? We were on lockdown after a non-student sexually assaulted a female student on campus in the 1990's. Brick guard houses with gates built...could only get on campus with your card or if someone phoned you in as an approved visitor. Tons of fencing went up.

Are the guard shacks gone?

Campus is open? We were on lockdown after a non-student sexually assaulted a female student on campus in the 1990's. Brick guard houses with gates built...could only get on campus with your card or if someone phoned you in as an approved visitor. Tons of fencing went up.

Are the guard shacks gone?

The guardhouses don't stop people from walking onto campus. Only driving.

I doubt they walked in.

They definitely didn't drive in after hours. I once got in a raging battle with a guardhouse rent-a-cop that ended with me going down to the police station and arguing with the chief of police because they wouldn't let an unregistered car with three current WFU students with three IDs drive on to campus on a weekday after hours to go to the library for a group project. They gave us a ticket for trying to drive on to campus without registering the car.

It wasn't my car and I wasn't driving, but I was incensed. Argued for like twenty minutes, and the chief of police handed me the Parking Rules and Regulations pamphlet and shrugged her shoulders. I picked up the pamphlet and my sister was on the fucking cover as a cop mascot. I tore the thing in half and handed it back to the police chief and walked out.

Dumb rule, but in retrospect I was kind of a shit head.

Back