• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Shooting at the Barn

Based on my experience from 2008-2012 it was nearly impossible to get on campus after 7 or 8 in a car unless you had a sticker and/or Wake ID and you were driving.

That might have changed since then, but I am guessing they walked onto campus.

I guess I probably should have put that on the "greatest moments of my life" thread instead of one about a vicious murder.

“He goes back to where the victim was,” O’Neill said. “A shot was fired and this defendant was seen running back to the car followed by (Jakier Shanique) Austin, who was wearing a red sweatshirt and red shoes, and they left campus.”

http://www.journalnow.com/news/crim...2-9986-ed0bc5ccfeeb.html?utm_source=WSJ Email

Fake news!

I could be wrong. Happy to be wrong. Although then I suppose I'm curious how they got a car on campus when it was basically impossible back in my day to do so.

Unless they drove onto campus before the gate closed for the evening. Always possible.

Weren't there a bunch of WSSU guests at this party? I'm pretty sure I read he was a former WSSU student, so maybe he just used his old ID?

im laughing at the more recent students who think a fat guard in the block house at the gate constitutes security

Yeah. That is funny. Guess the wall is going to get 10 feet higher.

Suites on quad had no locks in late 80s. Anyone could walk in, which was cool. Different world now.

Even locks on the doors meant little with the campus security we had back then.

im laughing at the more recent students who think a fat guard in the block house at the gate constitutes security

So do you think they just sped past a guard and the guard didn’t call it in? Just from experience going in after gates were shut (I was thinking this didn’t happen until 10) they always stopped people without a pass. I never ignored them so don’t know what protocol is if someone doesn’t stop but should, but assumed the security guard at least would report it to campus police.

I’d actually trust a more recent student over me because they should know what current practice is. Like wakephans story, I’ve argued with a gate guard at least once.

I'm a student at Wake and they still stop people without a pass.

I'm also with Diggity that humor on this thread is a bit tone-deaf.

Some one being murdered on campus is sad and insane.

Are there really guardhouses and police checks before you can drive on campus these days? Hard to believe. Have things changed this much? When I was a student, many people did not lock their doors, day or night, unless they were leaving for the weekend or some break. No one ever locked the suite doors, and classrooms were kept open all night, if anyone wanted to go there to study. Part of the beauty of a college campus was that it was such an open place with virtually unlimited access for anyone and everyone. Hell, the local chapter of the Black Panthers was on campus regularly, distributing literature and soliciting contributions, and no one tried to stop them. Parking tickets and the occasional acting up drunk were the biggest problem.

Back