• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Shooting at the Barn

I did not see the author of the article listed but the crime writer who covers pretty much everything in the courthouse is a black guy... Michael Hewlett.

It was written by the WSJ chief columnist (hence the opinions instead of straight reporting).

Where is Jakier “Poppa” Austin?

Here he is graduating from Mt. Tabor in 2015. Third from left...

5573a01f4cddf.image.jpg

needed more vetting, not enough officers, too many guests at the Barn

Why? What is particularly newsworthy about this tragedy that someone more than 100 miles from Winston-Salem would take interest?

I have seen reports of it in various news outlets across the country, from NY to FL, to the Midwest to LA. I believe that it is the first murder ever on the Reynolda campus--the first that I remember anyway--and I believe that had proper precaution been taken, it was preventable.

No entry for people who are not active/current students (edit: of either school) would be a good start.

Do you want to close the campus to everyone not directly associated with Wake?

No entry for people who are not active/current students (edit: of either school) would be a good start.

So you think that they should have a closed campus with only active students allowed?

Do you want to close the campus to everyone not directly associated with Wake?

After hours? Can anyone pull up and say they are going to a party and drive on campus? That may be the case, I have no idea, I seem to recall having to send names of non-students to the guard house when they were coming into town or on campus, but that was years ago so maybe things are different or I am mistaken.

When a large number of off-campus guests are invited, a list of guests will be provided to the Police Department.

A student representative(s) from the hosting organization will be assigned at the gatehouses to assist students/guests attending their function.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess the suspects were not on any list provided (if there was one) and the 2nd requirement did not occur in this case.

How appropriate that Wake Forest is now a gated community. It goes so well with the demographics of the student body.

rj - i don't think wake was exactly the pinnacle of diversity during your tenure on campus either!

The gate houses have been present for more than 2 decades. The campus is open from 6 am until 10 pm, and after 10 pm a student/faculty/staff ID is needed or the person entering has to be the guest of a student/faculty/staff.

The gate houses have been present for more than 2 decades. The campus is open from 6 am until 10 pm, and after 10 pm a student/faculty/staff ID is needed or the person entering has to be the guest of a student/faculty/staff.

Are the gates manned all night? Reason I ask is that I check in on my buddy's house on Royal from time to time, as he lives in Tallahassee and Atlanta. I always go during the day, so it's no problem, but what if I have to go take care of an emergency in the middle of the night? Could I not even be able to get to his house if something happened?

Are the gates manned all night? Reason I ask is that I check in on my buddy's house on Royal from time to time, as he lives in Tallahassee and Atlanta. I always go during the day, so it's no problem, but what if I have to go take care of an emergency in the middle of the night? Could I not even be able to get to his house if something happened?
I may be wrong, but I think you'd need to prove ownership of the property to get in.

Back