• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Virginia @ Wake Forest Game Thread

Wrangor

Go Deacs
Reaction score
Virginia is maddeningly good at defense, so I don't expect a pretty game for us, but other than at Duke, we have been in every game we have played this year going into the last 3-5 minutes. Perhaps this is a game we put it all together and pull out an upset. Go Deacs.

Looking forward to this game.

Weren't there some surprising transfers out of UVA in the off season? It looked like the wheels were coming off, yet they are ranked #2 now?

Weren't there some surprising transfers out of UVA in the off season? It looked like the wheels were coming off, yet they are ranked #2 now?

Yes, which really does make it amazing they are up to #2. Their consistent success over the past several years is secondary to having a great system they plug players into.

So how many times do you expect the WF students to storm the court in the next 3 days?
0? 1? 2?

Dear God, why? We’ll lose again AND it will be boring as shit.

It's a lot more exciting for me to see Wake play a good and highly ranked ACC team than it is to see them play Richmond, BC, GT, etc. We obviously have a better chance of winning the easier games, but I find it much more exciting and interesting to play the top teams.

They rotated and balanced the wheels they had.
Running smoothly now.

I think we will surprise a lot of our own fans tonight. UVA is very good, especially on defense, but Wake usually plays pretty well against top notch teams in Winston.

The line is at 9.5 and KP has it at 67-57.

It's a lot more exciting for me to see Wake play a good and highly ranked ACC team than it is to see them play Richmond, BC, GT, etc. We obviously have a better chance of winning the easier games, but I find it much more exciting and interesting to play the top teams.
This is where we are...even our fans are mid major these days. "OMG, it's so awesome that we even get to lace it up on the court with these amazing teams!!"

Every time I've seen UVA this year it seems like they work the ball around the perimeter with precision, always eventually finding an open man and it's like they never miss a contested 3.

When a team that keeps possessions that low and locks down defensively like they do has 3 guys shooting 45% or so from deep in ACC play, you blink and the game is out of reach.

I'd like to think we go big in this one and our size evens things out, but my guess is we see a lot of Childress, Wilbekin, and Woods running out towards open 3 point shooters with a weak challenge as they drain 3's on us. Hope I'm wrong.

This is where we are...even our fans are mid major these days. "OMG, it's so awesome that we even get to lace it up on the court with these amazing teams!!"

Yeah, that's not what I wrote nor what I think. I think it's more fun and interesting to watch games against top teams - that could be when Wake is ranked #1 or not ranked at all. It seems to me like a fairly non controversial opinion, but you keep raging.

Thanks for taking the responsibility of creating the game thread Wrangor. I’m 1-2 on game thread starts this year so starting to think I shouldn’t be the one

I think we will surprise a lot of our own fans tonight. UVA is very good, especially on defense, but Wake usually plays pretty well against top notch teams in Winston.

The line is at 9.5 and KP has it at 67-57.

LOL

Seriously what would this teams revord be w Bennett as coach? If we gave him the keys Sept 1? I’d say 13-5, maybe 12-6 at worst.

I mean, in Manning's first year, UVA was 22-1 and #2 in the country, and we lost by 1 at UVA. That was the CMM late turnover game. Feels like we play UVA close a lot of the time. Maybe that has a little to do with their pace. I think it's close to the end, and we probably puke all over ourselves, per usual.

Last edited:
Meh, it's easy to forget Bennett barely made the tourney in year 3 (but got blown out in their only game) then missed in year 4 before starting to really kill it year 5 and beyond. And it's not like he didn't have talent - year 4 he had Joe Harris, Akil Mitchell, Justin Anderson, and Mike Tobey. He had Mike Scott the year before. A lot of UVA fans were ready to run him off after year 4.

I mean, in Manning's first year, UVA was 23-1 and #2 in the country, and we lost by 1 at UVA. That was the CMM late turnover game. Feels like we play UVA close a lot of the time. Maybe that has a little to do with their pace. I think it's close to the end, and we probably puke all over ourselves, per usual.

God I forgot about that. Amazing how bad our guards have been late in games for so long. Thought Crawford was going to change that after the Maui his freshman year but, nope.

Back