• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Crawford

It's actually sort of funny that so many are putting their hopes and dreams in freshmen next year. There's just not a bunch of evidence in Wake Forest's history that they are going to play up to the expectations everyone has built up for them.

Assuming all things remain the same (aka no improvement from any other player), yeah one freshman won't take achieve our "hopes and dreams" as you so eloquently put it. It's just you being you, negative as always. A normal person would assume progress from two freshman on the team currently who get significant minutes, Doral who will improve again under Manning's tutelage, Childress is only a sophomore, Donovan Mitchell, hopefully Key and Craw return. Add one elite SF, another top 100 SF to that mix. But of course, you're incapable of seeing anything that's positive, as evidenced many times before.

Reminds me of when you neg repped me last year for saying "we're close" halfway through the season by saying "Close to what? an NIT team? LOL". Funny, you were wrong about that too. Who would've thought.

It's actually sort of funny that so many are putting their hopes and dreams in freshmen next year. There's just not a bunch of evidence in Wake Forest's history that they are going to play up to the expectations everyone has built up for them.

To be fair, I think the argument is that players like Hoard and Mucius will bring a new dynamic to our team. They add another scoring option that can take the pressure off Crawford, Key and Childress. I can see the potential that if we have a really good interior presence in Doral, and good, albeit inconsistent, play from the freshman on the wings, the guards won't have to play hero ball all the time. The coach needs to make all these pieces work together though and and the players have to trust each other. We have two of those pieces this year (Chaundeac could be the missing good but inconsistent wing even) but it just isn't clicking.

If I'm wrong about what I say in October 2018, I will.

The reason I used the word "could" at this point is we have to see who is here and if they are healthy. I understand that reasonable and rational, but that is the case.

How about this one? Will you start acting civilly towards me rather than you immediate Pavlovian hatred and immediate condescending responses?

You have a weird definition of hatred.

Just because I think most of what you post is nonsense doesn't mean I hate you.

Do any other "old timers" feel like Crawford is mirroring the painful 4 year demise of Robert O'Kelly from 20 years ago?

Not really an “old timer”, but IIRC, the demise of O’Kelley was more his shot, not necessarily his effort. I remember free throws being a struggle, couldn’t hit threes anymore, his form changed or something, was definitely down on himself, but I don’t remember it affecting his passing and defense. Maybe someone else can contribute.

Do any other "old timers" feel like Crawford is mirroring the painful 4 year demise of Robert O'Kelly from 20 years ago?

Fuck this...being a contemporary of Robert O'Kelly does not make some one an old timer.

The problem with O’Kelley wasn’t his decline. It was that Odom didn’t realize the decline and gave him a burden that should have been more on Songaila and Howard.

You have a weird definition of hatred.

Just because I think most of what you post is nonsense doesn't mean I hate you.

When every post is in attack mode, even when we are on the same side, it is.

If I support your position when almost everyone else vehemently opposes it and you say,"I don't want your support". Animus is clear.

The problem with O’Kelley wasn’t his decline. It was that Odom didn’t realize the decline and gave him a burden that should have been more on Songaila and Howard.

sounds very familiar to this year, although in fairness to GDO, by ROK's senior season, the offensive load was pretty evenly split among Howard, Songaila, O'Kelley, Dawson (Darius would have had more touches if he could have stayed on the floor)

O'Kelley even lost his starting spot for a few games

i don't see where you can downplay what improvement we can see next year from Hoard, Mucius et al. You really don't believe highly rated and versatile 6'7" and 6'8" wings can contribute more than Thompson/Mitchell or that having some other guards will allow DM to utilize our other guards better or bench them when they go off the rails like Craw?? who was he going to sub in this year for one of our underperforming 4 guards, Bilas?
Regarding WFU Bkb frosh history, not counting HOFers, I for one believe we improved by adding year 1 contributions from Dinos, Devin Thomas, Ish Smith, Jeff Teague, Al-Farouq, McKie, LD, CJ, JJohnson, Craw(yes, even though he seems to be regressing).
The Dark Years happened due to RW but our young kids have contributed and next year should be no different.

Meh... ROK had fewer shot attempts as a Senior than in his previous 3 seasons.

The crux of the issue with ROK is he was a SG with a PG's body and he struggled in the role of primary ball handler (sound familiar?).

Not with DM coaching them.

i don't see where you can downplay what improvement we can see next year from Hoard, Mucius et al. You really don't believe highly rated and versatile 6'7" and 6'8" wings can contribute more than Thompson/Mitchell or that having some other guards will allow DM to utilize our other guards better or bench them when they go off the rails like Craw?? who was he going to sub in this year for one of our underperforming 4 guards, Bilas?
Regarding WFU Bkb frosh history, not counting HOFers, I for one believe we improved by adding year 1 contributions from Dinos, Devin Thomas, Ish Smith, Jeff Teague, Al-Farouq, McKie, LD, CJ, JJohnson, Craw(yes, even though he seems to be regressing).
The Dark Years happened due to RW but our young kids have contributed and next year should be no different.

Not with no defense/pick and roll offense Manning coaching them.

It's not like we'll be starting five frosh. If all goes well, Hoard is likely the only frosh starter. If you notice, Sarr has been playing with Doral a little more recently. It looks like Danny wants to play those two together.

I'd say our starting line-up will most likely be:

PG- Craw
SG- Key/Chaundee
SF- Hoard
PF- Sarr
C- Doral

6th man- Key/Chaundee
7th man - Mucius
Next Big - Donovan
Next Guard - Lil Chill

It will be interesting to see how much Melo and Sharone will play next year.

It will be nice to have a full-sized person at each position.

Last edited:
Angus, we're talking about O'Kelley's junior year, right? Crawford is a junior. O'Kelley led the team with 12.5 fg a game at .355. Attempts were split almost evenly between 2pt (.410) and 3pt (.299).

We both went to home games that season. Most people in the gym were wondering why O'Kelley got so many shots when we knew Songaila was a stud (All-ACC that season) and Howard was a promising freshman.

It's not like we'll be starting five frosh. If all goes well, Hoard is likely the only frosh starter. If you notice, Sarr has been playing with Doral a little more recently. It looks like Danny wants to play those two together.

PG- Craw
SG- Key/Chaundee
SF- Hoard
PF- Sarr
C- Doral

6th man- Key/Chaundee
7th man - Mucius
Next Big - Donovan
Next Guard - Lil Chill

lol I laughed out loud at this. So true.

PG- Craw
SG- Key/Chaundee
SF- Hoard
PF- Sarr
C- Doral

6th man- Key/Chaundee
7th man - Mucius
Next Big - Donovan
Next Guard - Lil Chill

Sharone pushing our current guards could really make a difference next year.

He's really a wild-card. With his size, he can play three positions. Hopefully, his dad stressed D growing up.

He's really a wild-card. With his size, he can play three positions. Hopefully, his dad stressed D growing up.

Sounds like a bench sitter in Mannings system. Melo 2.0.

lol I laughed out loud at this. So true.

I mean five of those six players are on the roster right now. If those five were starting you wouldn’t really call us undersized. Chaundee is a little short for the three but he’s strong. And very very few teams start two 7 footers.

Back