• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread CCXVIII: DEACS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I’m getting a tv for the patio at my new house. It’s under a roof and well protected, but I understand that cold and Charlotte heat won’t be good for it. So do I need to buy an actual outdoor TV or can I just buy the protective case for an indoor tv?

Talk to me about Sonos.

We currently have surround sound speakers, but Wife fucking HATES having multiple stand-alone speakers and wires running everywhere, so in New House I plan to get sound bar of some type for a cleaner look.
This is why I got the Sonos

They're awesome and I was skeptical before I got them

Don't mess this up. I mounted a TV above the fireplace (looks sick AF), but I have my cable box on the mantel above the fireplace. She freaks out about that. :noidea how to fix it. Wall mounted TVs are the shit though, welcome to 2010.

Yeah, man...Wife just wants the TV mounted to the wall and nothing else visible - no wires, cords, cable boxes, receiver, anything. I think she'd be okay with a soundbar and maaaaaybe a subwoofer somewhere relatively inconspicuous just as a compromise. I've always felt like I could mount the TV myself, but had no idea what to do with all the accoutrements.

So I’m getting a tv for the patio at my new house. It’s under a roof and well protected, but I understand that cold and Charlotte heat won’t be good for it. So do I need to buy an actual outdoor TV or can I just buy the protective case for an indoor tv?

I have a normal LCD TV out on the screened-in porch and it's been fine. I bring it in during the winter months when we're not sitting out there anyway. Heat/humidity has never seemed to be a problem.

Yeah, man...Wife just wants the TV mounted to the wall and nothing else visible - no wires, cords, cable boxes, receiver, anything. I think she'd be okay with a soundbar and maaaaaybe a subwoofer somewhere relatively inconspicuous just as a compromise. I've always felt like I could mount the TV myself, but had no idea what to do with all the accoutrements.

just do this some day when she's out of town:

LxAEO15.jpg

If anyone is looking for a pair of very decent bookshelf speakers, these are great and a good price: MartinLogan Motion® LX16. Can buy on Amazon as well.

I thought they quit making them (replaced by motion 15) but apparently still available.

don't mount your TV above a fireplace. be better than The Gap

Dude, the TV above the fireplace with a fire going is so money. Top it off with a glass of wine. Looking forward to it already.

I also don's understand the Gap reference.

i'm putting one over both fireplaces so i'm just going to live with myself

Why? Also, it's often, by far, the most logical/appropriate place to mount. Certainly was in my living room.

For one it’s generally far too high for optimal/comfortable viewing of a TV

Aesthetically, it detracts from the communal feeling and function (conversation)of a living space to make the focus a TV. Unfortunately, modern construction and remodeling seems to emphasize that space bc it’s generic, so I can believe it to be the “only” place to put it. Some living rooms have the sole cable jack placed above the mantle

If it’s a media room specifically, that’s different.

are y'all fireplace TV fellas the same ones who go straight to the front row when you enter a movie theater

Hey man, if the TV needs to be over your fireplace, or if that's where you want it, so be it. Live and let live.

Also, if someone doesn't tell me whether or not Townie fulfilled his 2017 New Year's Resolution to execute a split in the next 5 minutes, I'm going to start freaking out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back