• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread CCXVIII: DEACS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where’s bkf to help explain hiding from society and continuing to be useless while staying in school for 15 years.

why haven't we just moved the CT into a Discord/Slack so we can chat in real-time

I was back in my old library this morning, covering while the librarians were away at a conference, and -- holy shit -- I wasn't super happy there when I worked there full-time, but being back reminded me of how much better it is than my current gig. It's actually quiet, and kids come in looking for stuff, not just wanting stuff (if you get the distinction), and did I mention it was quiet? I'm pretty fed up with my current job/work environment. Welp, out to the desk now to listen to the doors constantly banging and kids wanting laptop chargers. Good times.

how much do you charge for in-home librarian services? like, if I wanted you to hook up my bookshelves with the Dewey Decimal system, what would that run me?

phan, do you use Zotero? I just hooked my account up with WebDAV and 4shared and am annotating PDFs and citations between machines and this is $$$.

how much do you charge for in-home librarian services? like, if I wanted you to hook up my bookshelves with the Dewey Decimal system, what would that run me?

Boughta' hunnert.

No one uses Dewey anymore really, though, it's all LC these days. Or at least that I can gather.

My company likes to make up job titles - for 185 employees we probably have 75 job titles. Got a new one today for a newly created position: Director of Product Production

oof

It's not me, but someone is being promoted to that position. He'll be heading up the Department of Product Production Department

Boughta' hunnert.

No one uses Dewey anymore really, though, it's all LC these days. Or at least that I can gather.
For real. Though DDC > UDC. LC is clearly king.

Shit, I'll do that shit for a couple of beers, juicecrew.

phan, do you use Zotero? I just hooked my account up with WebDAV and 4shared and am annotating PDFs and citations between machines and this is $$$.
Dang, please remind me to come back to this. Have a hell of day today, but want to talk about this.

Also, let's chat over pm about your apps, if you want to.

Boughta' hunnert.

what do you charge to create an exclusive cataloging system? an elchupe decimal system, if you will

like, I want to organize books based on how they make me feel

Last edited:
For real. Though DDC > UDC. LC is clearly king.

Shit, I'll do that shit for a couple of beers, juicecrew.

the worst cataloging system is by color of the book, which is often seen in a room full of art from Target and IKEA seating

My company likes to make up job titles - for 185 employees we probably have 75 job titles. Got a new one today for a newly created position: Director of Product Production

oof

We used to have a "Vice President of Knowledge" and a "Principal of Knowledge." They kind of came about with a little bit of re-org/new hire. And this was at a nonprofit of like 35 people.

High lawsuit score

You want the case or should I reach out to DR? I actually should have sued a Charlotte bar one time for being dragged down the stairs from the 2nd story and thrown out onto the sidewalk. Now, I was definitely drunk and mouthed off to a bouncer trying to push through my crowd of friends, but in no way was being destructive, dangerous, etc.

A cop nearby saw the end of this happen, but when I walked over and complained he basically just laughed and said "it's his world up there, and I don't know what really happened". My entire arm from collarbone to elbow was black and blue, and I ended up having to get an intense shoulder surgery a couple years later (tried PT and cortisone injections for a while first). I mention this to a friend who's a personal injury/workers comp lawyer 3 years after the fact, and he's basically calling me a moron and yelling at me for not suing the bar/bouncer, and I guess the statute of limitations was up by that point. #coolstoryhansel

what do you charge to create an exclusive cataloging system? an elchupe decimal system, if you will

like, I want to organize books based on how they make me feel
This is how my personal books at home are organized. Sorted by moments in my life, people that I've known, stuff like that.

Work books are chronological for the most part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back