• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread CCXVIII: DEACS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Talk to me about Sonos.

We currently have surround sound speakers, but Wife fucking HATES having multiple stand-alone speakers and wires running everywhere, so in New House I plan to get sound bar of some type for a cleaner look.

simple, easy to use and you just plug them into an outlet. they run on their own wireless network and modular, so you just plug and play to add to the system. but they have adapters to hook into existing HiFi and other entertainment systems.

the system can play multiple forms of audio output in different or combinations of rooms at the same time

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/system

That Sonos playbase looks nice.

I bought a similar platform sound bar from Sony (HT-XT1) several years ago and it’s been great. A vast improvement over built in TV speakers. I use it for watching most everything. Sometimes for dedicated movie watching I’ll run the sound through my 2.2 channel stereo. But 95 percent of the time I just use the platform speaker.

I don’t know if the Sony is even available still—the Sonos looks good.

simple, easy to use and you just plug them into an outlet. they run on their own wireless network and modular, so you just plug and play to add to the system. but they have adapters to hook into existing HiFi and other entertainment systems.

the system can play multiple forms of audio output in different or combinations of rooms at the same time

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/system

Thanks. At this point I'd really just be looking at the soundbar. Am I reading this correctly that you conceivably don't need a receiver if you use this soundbar? You could just plug everything (Roku, Blu-ray, Chromecast) directly into the TV rather than the receiver, and the SONOS soundbar outputs the TV audio rather than the receiver audio? I feel like I generally understand this stuff decently, but it's been a while.

Thanks. At this point I'd really just be looking at the soundbar. Am I reading this correctly that you conceivably don't need a receiver if you use this soundbar? You could just plug everything (Roku, Blu-ray, Chromecast) directly into the TV rather than the receiver, and the SONOS soundbar outputs the TV audio rather than the receiver audio? I feel like I generally understand this stuff decently, but it's been a while.

Yeah - these days if you have enough HDMI inputs on your TV, you can just plug everything into it, and have one HDMI out to the soundbar. You also have the ability to stream music directly to the soundbar through bluetooth.

The soundbar will never sound as good or be able to simulate surround sound as well as individual speakers, but its a much cleaner look.

The soundbar will never sound as good or be able to simulate surround sound as well as individual speakers, but its a much cleaner look.

Thanks! I am willing to forgo slightly better sound to avoid Wife stabbing me with scissors in my sleep.

Does mean I'll probably need a new TV. I have a sweet Panasonic plasma that is about 10 years old now and still has a great picture, but I think it only has a couple of HDMI inputs.

Or you can get an hdmi switch to plug a lot of stuff into that outputs to your tv.

I have my optical output from tv going to the platform sound bar and the headphone output set to audio out and going to my 2.2 stereo. Everything goes into the tv.

Mostly I’m interested in good stereo sound (music). I don’t get true surround sound for movies but the platform sound bar does amazingly well and I get plenty of room shaking high quality sound via my 2.2 setup when I want to use it for movies.

My TV is likewise 10 years old and I see zero reason to upgrade. I don't think I need a sharper image whatsoever.

Unless you’re getting OLED, I still like plasma.

My TV is likewise 10 years old and I see zero reason to upgrade. I don't think I need a sharper image whatsoever.

i dunno, i didn't think i needed a new TV either but the stuff that's broadcast in 4k + HDR makes a huge difference. and it's not expensive

PM wanted to invite some neighbors over for the Super Bowl and I had to explain why we could not reasonably invite people into our home to watch something on the TV, when our TV feed is supported by foil-wrapped bunny ears and the TV itself is I think 32"

PM wanted to invite some neighbors over for the Super Bowl and I had to explain why we could not reasonably invite people into our home to watch something on the TV, when our TV feed is supported by foil-wrapped bunny ears and the TV itself is I think 32"

It's refreshing to see you're cool with marrying such a beta cuck. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back