• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018 Winter Olympic Thread

Alina had both hands above her head on every jump. Medvedeva only did that once. Both were tremendous but I think Alina deserved the gold. The Russians were on a different level.

Unreal competition. Both of them are just a league above everyone else. Crazy that there could be even better athletes who could beat them out in 4 years.

Watched the whole thing last night - what a fucking match. Those ladies showed some skills down the stretch. Big props to 20 year old Maddie Rooney for locking down the goal in a high pressure situation. She showed major poise through the end of OT with Canada on a powerplay to finish and then to shut down Agosta (after giving up a goal to her) for the win. So badass.

Didn't see it discussed here but one of the Canadians took off her silver medal right after they put it on her neck. It's rough to lose the gold like that an immediately go into the medal. The Canadians were clearly really unhappy about losing.

The US team weren't necessary good losers in the round robin. The game ended 2-1 with a melee at the Canada goal. The US team refused to line up to shake hands until the game was officially called. In the post-game interview, the US coach was asked about the Canadian goalie's 44 saves. He said something to the effect of "I don't want to talk about that. We had a lot of shots on goal and that shows me we can to it again."

Has it been long enough since WWII for me to be pulling for the Germans?

4-3 now. Canada says it's not over yet, just like it wasn't over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor.

Didn't see it discussed here but one of the Canadians took off her silver medal right after they put it on her neck. It's rough to lose the gold like that an immediately go into the medal. The Canadians were clearly really unhappy about losing.

Taking off the runner-up medal in soccer is pretty much standard operating procedure. I didn't think anything of it.

there are only two words for this situation

giphy.gif

Another Olympic athlete from Russia, representing the Olympic Flag, was caught doping.

I know nothing about hockey so feel free to correct me.

It seems like Canada with their deep network of juniors hockey would have major advantage in a tournament without NHL players.

So have European countries used their domestic league players to counter that?

So kind of like what would happen if NBA players didn't play in the Olympics. We'd be stuck with G-Leaguers (maybe), top college players, and retired pros.

One thing on hockey, Russia has a pretty strong league and pays players a bunch of money to try to convince them to stay there rather than going to the NHL. So Russia was favored basically as soon as the NHL announced they wouldn't allow players to go.

In other words, time for everyone to get on the Team Germany bandwagon.

One thing on hockey, Russia has a pretty strong league and pays players a bunch of money to try to convince them to stay there rather than going to the NHL. So Russia was favored basically as soon as the NHL announced they wouldn't allow players to go.

In other words, time for everyone to get on the Team Germany bandwagon.

Somebody said if the Germans win, it would be a bigger upset than the USA winning in 1980. Don't see how that could be, since in 1980, basically the Soviet Union was the best Hockey team in the world, including NHL teams and the USA was a team of college guys.

Back