• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018 Winter Olympic Thread

Somewhat comparable. However the percentage of foreign born players in the NHL (50%) is about twice as big as the percentage of foreign players in the NBA (25%). So the top European hockey teams are missing a higher proportion of top players than the top European basketball teams would be missing if there were no NBA players in the Olympics.

It would not have been a huge surprise to see Sweden, Finland, Russia or Czech Republic beat the Canadians. But losing to the Germans is an embarrassment for the Canadians.

Completely false. I could not care less and did not expect to win a medal going in. We struggled with South Korea back in November and Latvia only two weeks ago. Our actual good players lose to poor teams in the World Championships often so this is not too surprising.

Somebody said if the Germans win, it would be a bigger upset than the USA winning in 1980. Don't see how that could be, since in 1980, basically the Soviet Union was the best Hockey team in the world, including NHL teams and the USA was a team of college guys.

I think people just like comparing things to the Miracle on Ice. They were using it after the women's match even though the US Womens team is just as good as the Canadian team.

Also the Russian team is missing most of its best players since they are in the NHL.

Would prefer the Olympics replace the WJC every 4 years rather than this format.

The US team is much better than Canada. Canada has not beat them in a meaningful game since 2014.

Somebody said if the Germans win, it would be a bigger upset than the USA winning in 1980. Don't see how that could be, since in 1980, basically the Soviet Union was the best Hockey team in the world, including NHL teams and the USA was a team of college guys.

OTOH, Germany hasn't won a World Championship (annual competition) or Olympic medal in 42 years

Last edited:
They just said they credit the turn around to Schusters change in diet and exercise routine, what bullshit.

John Shuster is a freaking stud. Holy cow. Amazing.

suck a bag of dicks you ikea loving jerkoffs

I can't believe that happened. Shuster completely blew matches in the last 2.5 Olympics and then just turned it on. He was on fire today.

Props to Tyler George too. Dude was en freakin' fuego tonight (and last several nights)

Yeah. All of them were on fire. Matt Hamilton played Mixed Doubles with his sister and then had to come back and do this. His family took a bus up from Seoul every day to watch them play.

Shuster is a gold medalist. It's like if Bz game back to Wake and led us to a national championship.

This is nuts. I can't believe this.

Last edited:

NBC loves them some curling. USA winning great story (NBC got really lucky there), but they show a lot of curling.

Back