• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018 Winter Olympic Thread

I dig most any international competition, but the Winter Olympics have too many sports that: 1. are races where one person goes at a time and you just watch the clock or the superimposed line or 2. have opaque scoring systems that don't seem to match the actual performance

I dig most any international competition, but the Winter Olympics have too many sports that: 1. are races where one person goes at a time and you just watch the clock or the superimposed line or 2. have opaque scoring systems that don't seem to match the actual performance

I like those #1 events.

Those #2 events suck.

really hard to get into the figure skating when you watch a guy like Rippon get hosed over nebulous metrics like last night

really hard to get into the figure skating when you watch a guy like Rippon get hosed over nebulous metrics like last night

His program was awesome...athletic and artistic. I attempt to enjoy the performance apart from the random scoring.

Apparently the participation trophy generation has taken over with you getting more points for attempting harder spins than just flawlessly completing others. Since Rippon didn't attempt harder spins he by default scored less.

Apparently the participation trophy generation has taken over with you getting more points for attempting harder spins than just flawlessly completing others. Since Rippon didn't attempt harder spins he by default scored less.

Yeah, it’s ridiculous. Skate a flawless pretty difficult routine and you get beat by a guy that falls on his ass trying to skate a harder routine.

So exactly like gymnastics and diving.

Back