Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 180 of 502

Thread: 2018 Winter Olympic Thread

  1. #161
    I disagree with you
    ImTheCaptain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    36,153
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDeac View Post
    Exactly.

    There are several elements in figure skating. If someone fails at a very difficult element and has slightly more success than another skater at other elements, he gets a sightly better score. I think thatís what we saw.
    except in this case it's like less than 1/4 rotation on a landing

  2. #162
    Quote Originally Posted by JDawg View Post
    that's only because their speed/momentum is slowed so much that they won't be able to get up the ramp and effectively do anything
    depends on when it happens...plenty of people recovered from their falls and were still able to do decently big tricks

  3. #163
    I disagree with you
    ImTheCaptain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    36,153
    the argument that there's a technical component and it's obscure to non-skating fans, that's not surprising or illegitimate.

    what's fucking dumb is that the score is predicated on the subjective score, which is utterly opaque and nonsensical to fans who are watching two skaters, one of whom is far more lyrical and expressive. the fix might not be in but it might as well be

  4. #164
    Quote Originally Posted by BarcaDeac View Post
    depends on when it happens...plenty of people recovered from their falls and were still able to do decently big tricks
    The figure skating equivalent would be falling on your first jump, just not taking four in a row, and then ending with four jumps that are significantly easier. Yay.

    Its almost if different sports have different rules and nuances that make comparing them an almost impossible task.

  5. #165
    Figure skating sucks, next.

  6. #166
    I disagree with you
    ImTheCaptain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    36,153
    Quote Originally Posted by JDawg View Post
    The figure skating equivalent would be falling on your first jump, just not taking four in a row, and then ending with four jumps that are significantly easier. Yay.

    Its almost if different sports have different rules and nuances that make comparing them an almost impossible task.
    it's like giving the pebble beach trophy to jason day for an incredible par on 18 on sunday because he had a harder time

  7. #167
    They are very transparent about it. Here ya go for the men's free skate:

    http://www.isuresults.com/results/se...S_M_Scores.pdf

    Someone feel free to break it down and tell me how that's not fair.

  8. #168
    Quote Originally Posted by ImTheCaptain View Post
    it's like giving the pebble beach trophy to jason day for an incredible par on 18 on sunday because he had a harder time
    Yeah, it's like a guy who tries to dive a 300 yard par 4 over water and hits it in the drink being given a birdie just for trying. The same score as the guy who hits an iron off the tee, wedges it within 10 feet and makes the birdie putt.
    Last edited by liveanddiedeac; 02-13-2018 at 10:38 AM.
    boorish ruffian

  9. #169
    I disagree with you
    ImTheCaptain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    36,153
    Quote Originally Posted by JDawg View Post
    They are very transparent about it. Here ya go for the men's free skate:

    http://www.isuresults.com/results/se...S_M_Scores.pdf

    Someone feel free to break it down and tell me how that's not fair.
    the technical part is not really the issue, it's the subject icing that causes the shenanigans

  10. #170
    Quote Originally Posted by ImTheCaptain View Post
    it's like giving the pebble beach trophy to jason day for an incredible par on 18 on sunday because he had a harder time
    You need to just stop talking about golf.

  11. #171
    I disagree with you
    ImTheCaptain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    36,153
    Quote Originally Posted by BiffTannen View Post
    You need to just stop talking about golf.
    you need to just shut up in general

  12. #172
    Why is everybody after BiffTannen this morning ? Because I'm right ? Because I care ? Because you know I'm right ?

  13. #173
    Quote Originally Posted by BiffTannen View Post
    Why is everybody after BiffTannen this morning ? Because I'm right ? Because I care ? Because you know I'm right ?
    I'm just glad you're okay, you were AWOL for a bit after that natty title game.
    boorish ruffian

  14. #174
    Quote Originally Posted by Screamindemon3 View Post
    Figure skating sucks, next.
    This is where I'm at. Its unwatchable now. Mostly because the scoring system does appear to be rigged from the beginning.

  15. #175
    Scott "Rufio" Feather
    tigerswood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Price's Chicken Coop
    Posts
    5,027
    Quote Originally Posted by JDawg View Post
    They are very transparent about it. Here ya go for the men's free skate:

    http://www.isuresults.com/results/se...S_M_Scores.pdf

    Someone feel free to break it down and tell me how that's not fair.
    I'm not sure if unfair is the right word, but it's ridiculously stupid. A better comp in this case, in terms of point values, would probably be the snowboarding big air or skiing aerials. If one dude tries a 1440 and falls, he will get a horrible score - let's say a 30 - while the dude who perfectly lands a 1080 will get maybe ~80. These are obviously random examples, but the guy who falls on the harder trick isn't going to get a higher score.

    Rules/scoring in any event should make sense to the average person watching. Applying to the NFL, it's the reason why the current catch rule is so stupid.

  16. #176
    The Winter Olympics are amazing, a bunch of sports most people donít know much about but Ph is somehow an expert, probably canít even skate.

  17. #177
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerswood View Post
    I'm not sure if unfair is the right word, but it's ridiculously stupid. A better comp in this case, in terms of point values, would probably be the snowboarding big air or skiing aerials. If one dude tries a 1440 and falls, he will get a horrible score - let's say a 30 - while the dude who perfectly lands a 1080 will get maybe ~80. These are obviously random examples, but the guy who falls on the harder trick isn't going to get a higher score.

    Rules/scoring in any event should make sense to the average person watching. Applying to the NFL, it's the reason why the current catch rule is so stupid.
    Yeah, I can see why a skater with a harder routine would get a higher starting score, but it also seems that the penalty for a failed element should be more severe. The Russian fell on one jump and I think almost fell on another, so you'd think the markdown for that would be pretty severe. I'm not saying a skater shouldn't have incentive to try a harder routine, but there's need to be a lot of value put to skating it cleanly or close to it.
    boorish ruffian

  18. #178
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerswood View Post
    I'm not sure if unfair is the right word, but it's ridiculously stupid. A better comp in this case, in terms of point values, would probably be the snowboarding big air or skiing aerials. If one dude tries a 1440 and falls, he will get a horrible score - let's say a 30 - while the dude who perfectly lands a 1080 will get maybe ~80. These are obviously random examples, but the guy who falls on the harder trick isn't going to get a higher score.

    Rules/scoring in any event should make sense to the average person watching. Applying to the NFL, it's the reason why the current catch rule is so stupid.
    however in snowboarding you get three runs with only the top score counting, and are therefore encouraged to go big (Chloe Kim could go big on her second run without fear of a low score bringing down her average)

    seems impractical to have multiple long programs per skater so there needs to be another way to incentivize risk-taking
    Last edited by thatguy2016; 02-13-2018 at 11:39 AM.

  19. #179
    Quote Originally Posted by liveanddiedeac View Post
    Yeah, I can see why a skater with a harder routine would get a higher starting score, but it also seems that the penalty for a failed element should be more severe. The Russian fell on one jump and I think almost fell on another, so you'd think the markdown for that would be pretty severe. I'm not saying a skater shouldn't have incentive to try a harder routine, but there's need to be a lot of value put to skating it cleanly or close to it.
    landing isn't the entire jump, it's only a small part

  20. #180
    I disagree with you
    ImTheCaptain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    36,153
    Quote Originally Posted by JDawg View Post
    landing isn't the entire jump, it's only a small part
    just a small part


Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •