• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018 Winter Olympic Thread

Why is everybody after BiffTannen this morning ? Because I'm right ? Because I care ? Because you know I'm right ?

They are very transparent about it. Here ya go for the men's free skate:

http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1718/owg2018/OWG2018_TeamMen_FS_M_Scores.pdf

Someone feel free to break it down and tell me how that's not fair.

I'm not sure if unfair is the right word, but it's ridiculously stupid. A better comp in this case, in terms of point values, would probably be the snowboarding big air or skiing aerials. If one dude tries a 1440 and falls, he will get a horrible score - let's say a 30 - while the dude who perfectly lands a 1080 will get maybe ~80. These are obviously random examples, but the guy who falls on the harder trick isn't going to get a higher score.

Rules/scoring in any event should make sense to the average person watching. Applying to the NFL, it's the reason why the current catch rule is so stupid.

The Winter Olympics are amazing, a bunch of sports most people don’t know much about but Ph is somehow an expert, probably can’t even skate.

I'm not sure if unfair is the right word, but it's ridiculously stupid. A better comp in this case, in terms of point values, would probably be the snowboarding big air or skiing aerials. If one dude tries a 1440 and falls, he will get a horrible score - let's say a 30 - while the dude who perfectly lands a 1080 will get maybe ~80. These are obviously random examples, but the guy who falls on the harder trick isn't going to get a higher score.

Rules/scoring in any event should make sense to the average person watching. Applying to the NFL, it's the reason why the current catch rule is so stupid.

Yeah, I can see why a skater with a harder routine would get a higher starting score, but it also seems that the penalty for a failed element should be more severe. The Russian fell on one jump and I think almost fell on another, so you'd think the markdown for that would be pretty severe. I'm not saying a skater shouldn't have incentive to try a harder routine, but there's need to be a lot of value put to skating it cleanly or close to it.

however in snowboarding you get three runs with only the top score counting, and are therefore encouraged to go big (Chloe Kim could go big on her second run without fear of a low score bringing down her average)

seems impractical to have multiple long programs per skater so there needs to be another way to incentivize risk-taking

Last edited:
Yeah, I can see why a skater with a harder routine would get a higher starting score, but it also seems that the penalty for a failed element should be more severe. The Russian fell on one jump and I think almost fell on another, so you'd think the markdown for that would be pretty severe. I'm not saying a skater shouldn't have incentive to try a harder routine, but there's need to be a lot of value put to skating it cleanly or close to it.

landing isn't the entire jump, it's only a small part

Hah yeah, I'd guess the average person would say you should have to land the jump for it to count (probably at all).

9867617.jpg

landing isn't the entire jump, it's only a small part

I understand there are other aspects, but I would hope it's the biggest part. Otherwise, shouldn't the skaters all attempt quads even if they bust their ass every time?

I understand there are other aspects, but I would hope it's the biggest part. Otherwise, shouldn't the skaters all attempt quads even if they bust their ass every time?

there's restrictions/requirements on what your elements can be

Patrick Chan's fallen triple axel was the second lowest scoring element of all his elements. If he absolutely NAILS it, he'd only get six more points total. If Rippon didn't badly miss on his triple lutz, he would have had a better element score than Chan :noidea:

there's restrictions/requirements on what your elements can be

Patrick Chan's fallen triple axel was the second lowest scoring element of all his elements. If he absolutely NAILS it, he'd only get six more points total. If Rippon didn't badly miss on his triple lutz, he would have had a better element score than Chan :noidea:

but is he a runner?

If landing doesn’t matter, there are some killer athletes missing out on the Olympics in these monthly YouTube fail compilation videos

Back