• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Solo: A Star Wars Story

Good not great.

True fans are awarded with a pleasant surprise.
I thought it was good

Maybe the least star wars-y star wars movie but a fun film that doesn't take itself too seriously

Likeable actors

i could be crazy but it did seem like Lando had an accent in his first few scenes that he dropped about halfway through the movie

i could be crazy but it did seem like Lando had an accent in his first few scenes that he dropped about halfway through the movie

It seemed like he sounded more like Billy Dee Williams at some points than others. Maybe had something to do with the change in directors. I’m glad it wasn’t as silly as it was rumored to have been when the LEGO Movie guys were in charge.

It was still a lot of fun. I love the direction they went. It was a good “origin” story and the characters were all interesting. Glad I went in knowing so little about the film. I thought new Han actor did a good job. It’s hard to see him specifically as Han but it doesn’t take away from the overall experience.

Not sure which nod to true fans you were talking about moonz. Could have been any number of things but I think it was one small part of the movie in particular. PM me if I’m right.

It seemed like he sounded more like Billy Dee Williams at some points than others. Maybe had something to do with the change in directors. I’m glad it wasn’t as silly as it was rumored to have been when the LEGO Movie guys were in charge.

It was still a lot of fun. I love the direction they went. It was a good “origin” story and the characters were all interesting. Glad I went in knowing so little about the film. I thought new Han actor did a good job. It’s hard to see him specifically as Han but it doesn’t take away from the overall experience.

Not sure which nod to true fans you were talking about moonz. Could have been any number of things but I think it was one small part of the movie in particular. PM me if I’m right.
Agreed! Seemed like he went for Billy Dre at first then just dropped the accent after a bit

I liked it the more I think about it

The big thing is we know we can trust Disney to go back and find stories in the Star Wars Universe.

James Mangold has supposedly signed on to do a Boba Fett movie. I’m in.

Very curious to see what the schedule looks like going forward. They’ve announced a lot of films.

One a year seems like a lot until you realize Marvel does three. Lucasfilm could do two a year or three every two years if they wanted.

emilia clarke was looking RIGHT in this scene:

soloheader-3.jpg

My 8 yo really wants to see it. She has seen all but rogue one. Thoughts?

It's fine for a kid. Nowhere near the Rogue One level of carnage. I was hoping my kids would want to see it but they don't.

emilia clarke was looking RIGHT in this scene:

soloheader-3.jpg

I had forgotten she was in the film. I don't watch GOT and I didn't recognize her right away. She's strong in this film (insert Ph likes mousey brunettes here). Thandie Newton is looking good as well. Glad to see Zoe Saldana isn't stealing all her roles. Loved her look in this film. Woody Harrelson was really good as well. There was only one character I was iffy on.

Heard a review on the radio. The nostalgia hot takes are strong. This guy had the "I didn't need to see how Han and Lando met" takes. The worst was that he complained about early in the movie in which Han did something kinda necessary to the scene saying it "wasn't funny." I didn't think it was supposed to be funny. Anybody who is expecting a bunch of laugh out loud moments will be disappointed. Through these four Disney-era films, they've done a good job keeping the tone pretty consistent with the original trilogy. It's not like Marvel where each film kind of explores a different genre and some are quite funny (Ant-Man, Thor 3) and some aren't (AOU, IW).

I thought it was a pretty good movie. Definitely much better than the hot garbage of The Last Jedi.

Took our 8 year old and 4 year old last night, maybe we are #badparents but they were both fine with it. One monster-style scene was a little scary for the 4 year old, but he got over it and was really into the action scenes. There were a couple of "damns", "what the hells" and an "ass" that it could have done without, but that was really it.

I really enjoyed it, both Han and Lando did a great job of mimicking the body language of the originals.

saw it with my wife and boys last night. I loved it, my boys thought it was one of THE best star wars movies and my wife thought it was just OK (she's wrong). Han Solo has always been my favorite character so this was my wheelhouse, but there were so so many lines and images that alluded to other star wars moments and the scenes with Han and the Millennium Falcon were just awesome. I also like caper movies and this was one big caper movie set in Star Wars universe. My favorite line is Han's response to Lando when Lando is pissed at him.

If my wife is any indication, there’s a lot of “he’s no young Harrison Ford” griping from the ladies.

Thanks to ph and 2&2. Have family tix for tomorrow evening. It will be a surprise.

Solo disappoints at the box office.
http://comicbook.com/starwars/2018/05/26/solo-a-star-wars-story-opening-weekend-box-office/

I think Disney may be learning that it doesn’t matter when you premiere a film. Black Panther owned February and much of March which isn’t a traditional big box office period. They moved up Infinity War to avoid clashing with Solo. Both films will probably fall short of their ceiling.

I’m not going to complain about getting four Star Wars films in 2.5 years but I imagine they’ll try to own Christmas in the future.

Back