• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Solo: A Star Wars Story

It is a fan backlash for Last Jedi, SJW and how Luke was handled

The neck beards hate Kathleen Kennedy

it's an interesting question, how much star wars is too much star wars, especially if most of it is mediocre.

it is funny that TLJ was all about 'killing the past' and then we get Fan-Service: A Star Wars Story

It is a fan backlash for Last Jedi, SJW and how Luke was handled

The neck beards hate Kathleen Kennedy

Meh. He turned into a jaded old Jedi whose hubris did him in then he was wary of training someone but did anyway. Much like Yoda. Kind of like Obi-Wan.

Kind of a silly thing to get mad over unless you spent 35 years imagining Luke as a badass uber Jedi and anything else was going to be a disappointment even if he was a badass uber Jedi by the end.

Meh. He turned into a jaded old Jedi whose hubris did him in then he was wary of training someone but did anyway. Much like Yoda. Kind of like Obi-Wan.

Kind of a silly thing to get mad over unless you spent 35 years imagining Luke as a badass uber Jedi and anything else was going to be a disappointment even if he was a badass uber Jedi by the end.

I’m just reporting the neck beard feedback

They HATE the SJW stuff as well

LOL at “the SJW stuff.” Which stuff do they not like? I think are just authoritarian minded people who realize their their political leanings align more with the Empire than the Rebels/Resistance and they don’t know how to handle it.

it is a little strange that literally every white male that's a new character is a bad guy. just sayin'

No room for white heroes when so much screen time is dedicated to irrelevant and entirely too long story lines for black and Asian characters.

i guess that little force-kid at the end is white. so we got that going for us.

I think it's a little early to bemoan the Solo sales. Infinity War and Deadpool 2 came out right before it. Too many good options at once.

I think it's a little early to bemoan the Solo sales. Infinity War and Deadpool 2 came out right before it. Too many good options at once.

Yeah. They all took a hit.

Deadpool 2 is $254M after four weekends. Deadpool was $317M.

Infinity War made $55M more than Black Panther opening weekend but is only $12M higher than BP after the 6th weekend. If it passes BP, it will barely pass it. Infinity War cleaned up overseas though.

i think it tanked in China, though

If I remember correctly, Star Wars doesn't do well in China generally. Rogue One was an exception because two Chinese actors were among the leads.

and solo is a double-bomb because of the ridiculous budget due to what, 75% of the film being re-shot?

Solo was pretty meh. I thought the actors were fine. The guy who played Han was ok, not terrible, not great. Emilia is not a great actress but I thought she was ok in this. Woody is great, and I thought Bettany was good in his role. I did not think GLover borought much to the Lando role -- I think a lot of it had to do with pretty dull writing (other than for the droid). There was nothing interesting about it. Not very funny, no memorable moments. The best part of the whole movie was the surprise of seeing Darth Maul, which is pretty sad.

I'm pretty close to shoo.

Quick fire thoughts: Ehrenreich was fine, Clarke was kind of bad, Newton was completely wasted, the four armed pilot dude's dialogue was 70% cringers, Woody was fine but maybe mailed it in a little, Glover was a little too much at first but settled in, Paul Bettany's acting and character were easily the best part for me (so of course he only got like eight minutes of screen time), Fleabag droid was another highlight, reveal of the raiders was well done, all the betrayals were not, Chewy eats people, was cool to see Darth Maul i guess except for they couldn't think of any reason for him to pull out his lightsaber but did it anyway.

I feel like Glover was all over the place and the uneven Lando was probably one of the biggest result of the rewrites

Thanks to the largesse of Moviepass, I did see Solo.

I miss the charm of the original trilogy that's getting retconned away these days. Like the Empire, despite their power and technology, still managing to leave a Womp Rat sized hole that would create a chain reaction if you can manage to get a torpedo in it. Now we've got it on the record how a fast Kesel Run can be measured with distance. Will the next anthology spend a half hour explaining how this guy:

deliberately hit his head because his helmet had some means of measuring structural integrity. Or something.

For Solo specifically, it was probably about 10% better than I was expecting. I was expecting mediocre and that's what was delivered.
I think we missed out by not getting the Lord and Miller version. I would rather have seen their movie which made execs nervous. At least it could have been interesting.
I like how the Imperial March exists in-universe. I have a feeling this was a leftover from Lord and Miller.
I hated Han getting his last name assigned to him by the Empire. For one thing, everyone has a funky name and secondly, Solo isn't even a funky name on our world any more. If they're going to make this a habit, I request the origin of the names for Kit Fisto, Klaatu and Droopy McCool.
In addition to the name, a lot of time was spent answering questions I've never asked - How did Han get his gun? How did Chewbacca get his vest? Did we really need an explanation of shortening his name to Chewie? I could go on, I won't.

All told, worth a free viewing with Moviepass.

I actually liked Clarke’s performance in this. I think she’s usually pretty bad in everything - including GoT - so I was surprised.

Back