• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Solo: A Star Wars Story

This thread makes a lot of sense:

Maybe the Jawas and Jedi just dig the same style

i mean, obi wan did display some poor judgement so the idea of hiding while dressed as a jedi does make some sense.

that's probably why they killed Luke's uncle - for dressing like a Jedi

Last edited:
I’m all for taking shots at Lucas but it seems like most people hadn’t really seen Jedis, at least in a backwater planet like Tatooine. That’s why he hid there.

Twitter seems like an easy medium to present oversimplified arguments and have their virality serve as social proof for them.

I think there obvious idea that they didn’t plan ahead and now we have a weird plot hole ish problem is more likely

That's a pretty pessimistic and simplistic view of the internet. It's a too big a network to pin that ideal on. I've seen plenty of insightful posts on reddit, as one example. There are some here too, from time-to-time.

I think ELC was just trying to provide evidence for his point by making a simplistic argument on the internet.

I’m all for taking shots at Lucas but it seems like most people hadn’t really seen Jedis, at least in a backwater planet like Tatooine. That’s why he hid there.

Maybe. But even little kid Anakin, who was kind of stupid anyway, knew that Qui-Gon was a Jedi in TPM. It was stupid to have all the Jedi in the prequels dress like Obi-Wan did in ANH. And it was even more stupid to "hid" Luke from Anakin on Anakin's home planet, with Anakin's stepbrother and allow them to call him Skywalker. Just lazy screenwriting by Lucas.

Also, it seems like rule #1 of going into hiding would be to change all of your names. Even simple farm boy Luke, on first hearing the name "Obi Wan Kenobi" cracks this grand deception*.

* Please don't fanboisplain that Luke didn't figure it out for certain, but only asked if Leia meant to say "Ben". He still drew a line between the two names immediately.

Maybe. But even little kid Anakin, who was kind of stupid anyway, knew that Qui-Gon was a Jedi in TPM. It was stupid to have all the Jedi in the prequels dress like Obi-Wan did in ANH. And it was even more stupid to "hid" Luke from Anakin on Anakin's home planet, with Anakin's stepbrother and allow them to call him Skywalker. Just lazy screenwriting by Lucas.

"backwater planet" that was home to the universe's second-most powerful living Force person

That’s a good point. Props for remember that detail.

Keep in mind in AHN what was hidden was that Vader was Anakin. The only people who knew first hand that he turned were family and Obi Wan. The public word was that Vader killed him.

Last edited:
That’s a good point. Props for remember that detail.

Keep in mind in AHN what was hidden was that Vader was Anakin. The only people who knew first hand that he turned were family and Obi Wan. The public word was that Vader killed him.

True. But they were hiding Luke from Anakin/Vader, so they should have at least changed his last name. How many Skywalkers are there in the GFFA?

Finally watched this over the weekend. Liked it, certainly more than The Last Jedi and maybe even moreso than The Force Awakens. I'd have to watch Rogue One again.

Quick thoughts:
* Han actor was decent; I wouldn't say I liked him but he didn't distract by being terrible or anything - just tough to try to pull off Harrison Ford's character
* having his name given to him by some Empire military recruiter lackey was awful
* scene where he meets Chewbacca was great through
* couple things were pretty predictable (like Qira being with Bettany's character before we find that out, and the Harrelson double cross)
* speaking of Bettany, I like him generally, but didn't really like him in this role and hated his character design - just seemed lazy "how can we make this guy evil looking? I got it! Red marks on his face that get more red when he's mad!"
* I like the train heist scene, but why does a train need to exist in this universe when there are flying ships?
* didn't really understand what they're going for with the Darth Maul/Qira scene at the end (other than it being dumb he isn't dead) - is she a Sith apprentice or just working for him? Are there supposed to be more Solo movies in the works? I can't imagine that's the case after how this one did? Probably should have had her die since I wouldn't think there will be more Solo movies (that would set up Han's attitude in A New Hope)

Good thoughts. I will point out that a train heist is very star wars. There are loads of those weird anachronisms all throughout the universe.

Back