• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Solo: A Star Wars Story

Also would like to point out:

"In the first #StarWars film, Obi-Wan Kenobi dressed to blend in on Tatooine so that nobody would suspect he was a Jedi"

His whole argument only holds up if this sentence, which he made up and cites no authority for, is true.

Who says he was actively trying to wear anything to blend in? 1 nerd.

If you have the mind trick you could walk around naked all day or dressed as Sly and the Family Stone and no one would know any better.

Get a job, nerd.

why do trains exist in our world?

A good point, but I gotta believe the investment to build that particular type of train that had bending tracks built over a mountain range and cars that would flip around is 10x than a few flying ships. Plus maintenance on that track has to be a bitch

This movie killed off the anthology movies in general for this franchise. So no, there will be no more Solo movies.

Also would like to point out:

"In the first #StarWars film, Obi-Wan Kenobi dressed to blend in on Tatooine so that nobody would suspect he was a Jedi"

His whole argument only holds up if this sentence, which he made up and cites no authority for, is true.

Who says he was actively trying to wear anything to blend in? 1 nerd.

If you have the mind trick you could walk around naked all day or dressed as Sly and the Family Stone and no one would know any better.

Get a job, nerd.

except basically everyone on tatooine dresses like that

This movie killed off the anthology movies in general for this franchise. So no, there will be no more Solo movies.

Is that a done deal for sure? If so, that’s too reactionary. I could see them putting these films on Disney Play or even doing a Solo show.

It’s disappointing how many fans want less Star Wars.

Is that a done deal for sure? If so, that’s too reactionary. I could see them putting these films on Disney Play or even doing a Solo show.

It’s disappointing how many fans want less Star Wars.

Eh, not really. People wanted more NFL until it was Sunday afternoon, Sunday night, Monday night, Thursday night, and late-season Saturdays. Now I don't care enough to know who is playing when; put it back to Sunday afternoon (with Redzone) and Monday night and it would be glorious. Same with Star Wars - keeping it infrequent and really well done is better than infrequent and mediocre.

I agree they should have put Solo in December instead of moving it to May. They should have realized if they were giving Mary Poppins preference over Han Solo, they had a problem.

except basically everyone on tatooine dresses like that

Yeah and if you go by the prequels Obi dressed like that when he was 30 and not on tattoine, so he didnt rly make a change. Everybody always dressed like that. The fallacy of the 1st statement, that he was making a choice to blend in, props up the whole bullshit argument.

Yeah and if you go by the prequels Obi dressed like that when he was 30 and not on tattoine, so he didnt rly make a change. Everybody always dressed like that. The fallacy of the 1st statement, that he was making a choice to blend in, props up the whole bullshit argument.

the point is that lucas and the costume people made a sensible choice in 1977 and then George Lucas forgot how to think and made a dumb decision to make all Jedi look like random tatooine farmers, thus making Ben's sartorial choices look ridiculous.

the point is that lucas and the costume people made a sensible choice in 1977 and then George Lucas forgot how to think and made a dumb decision to make all Jedi look like random tatooine farmers, thus making Ben's sartorial choices look ridiculous.

This is probably the most accurate explanation. It makes sense for Owen Lars and Ben Kenobi to be dressed like that on Tattooine. It does not make sense for Qui-Gon Jinn and Mace Windu to be dressed like that in the Jedi Temple on Coruscant.

I finally watched this movie. Couldn't sleep, so I got up at 5am and turned it on.

I thought it was really good... Didn't really enjoy the beginning, but I get that the story needed to be set up.

Emilia Clarke was meh, at best.
I thought Alden Ehrenreich did a good job as Han.
Jon Favreau was really annoying at Rio Durant... I didn't hate the character... Just Jon Favreau's voice.

All in all, it was an enjoyable movie. Rogue One was definitely better, but I'd watch another Solo movie.

I caught Solo for a second time recently and agree- its a good movie but it just got caught up in the glut of star wars movies that past few years.

Posted in the Movies thread, but I watched this for the first time last week after avoiding it, because I didn't particularly like Rogue One or either of the two new Star Wars movies, and this was my favorite by far. I thought it was fun and pretty charming. The actors pulled off the cheesy stuff well. I don't know, I kind of dug it. Of course it ended up tanking.

Posted in the Movies thread, but I watched this for the first time last week after avoiding it, because I didn't particularly like Rogue One or either of the two new Star Wars movies, and this was my favorite by far. I thought it was fun and pretty charming. The actors pulled off the cheesy stuff well. I don't know, I kind of dug it. Of course it ended up tanking.

What didn't you like about Rogue One? I've re-watched it probably 5x and think it's the best of the "new" Star Wars movies (Rogue One, Solo, The Force Awakens, and The Last Jedi)

What didn't you like about Rogue One? I've re-watched it probably 5x and think it's the best of the "new" Star Wars movies (Rogue One, Solo, The Force Awakens, and The Last Jedi)

My definitive rankings are:

TLJ
Rogue One
Force Awakens
Solo

My definitive rankings are:

TLJ
Rogue One
Force Awakens
Solo

Rogue One
Force Awakens
The Last Jedi
Solo

The difference between Force Awakens, Last Jedi, and Solo is small though. Initially, I didn't really care for The Last Jedi, but it improved with a second watching. I've only watched Solo once, so it might improve as well.

You know, I don't even remember. I just remember being underwhelmed by all the new ones to the point I didn't really care about catching Solo. I thought the performers really elevated the material in this one, rather than just being vessels along for the ride, or something. The humor and lighter moments seemed a little less forced or maybe were just delivered better. But who knows what mood I was in watching Rogue One; that always affects it. I liked that they weren't fighting to save the galaxy in Solo, it was just a light adventure romp.

Back