• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Should Manning be canned at the end of the season?

Shit canning manning?

• Yes

Votes: 53 27.5%
  • No

Votes: 130 67.4%
  • Hire Kenpom & the 7 Dwarves

Votes: 10 5.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
How could you possibly vote no? How much more fucking data do you need to realize that he can’t coach his way out of a paper bag? This poll is so LOWF shit of the first order....

Actual data that indicates he can’t coach his way out of a paper bag. The data I’ve seen suggests that other than this season his teams have met or exceeded expectations based on the talent they have had on paper. And this team has only slightly underperformed.

Manning is terrible. He and Buzz have made me tune out Wake hoops almost completely for nearly a decade, with an eyebrow briefly raised last year, even though I knew we would be lucky to post any wins in the postseason. Like others have stated, however, he is not going anywhere for at least another year. It is possible we have a year next year like we did last year, which will get him another couple years and make us an even more miserable fan base. At the conclusion of his tenure, there will still be jerkoffs on this board pining for Chill to be hired as HC or retained in some way, shape, or form.

Fuck Ron Wellman.

I don't want Wellman hiring the next b-ball coach. Why would anyone think that he can get it right next time? If somehow Wellman vanished at the end of the season, and a new AD decided to move in a different direction, I would give Steve Forbes (ETSU) a look. He has totally dominated the Southern Conference and coached under Gregg Marshall. The one asterisk for him, is that he was at Tennessee when Pearl ran into his problems. I have no idea if he was involved in the issues that got Pearl in trouble.

Who do you idiots think wellman realistically should have hired instead of Manning?

Manning is terrible. He and Buzz have made me tune out Wake hoops almost completely for nearly a decade, with an eyebrow briefly raised last year, even though I knew we would be lucky to post any wins in the postseason. Like others have stated, however, he is not going anywhere for at least another year. It is possible we have a year next year like we did last year, which will get him another couple years and make us an even more miserable fan base. At the conclusion of his tenure, there will still be jerkoffs on this board pining for Chill to be hired as HC or retained in some way, shape, or form.

Fuck Ron Wellman.

If he doesn’t then he should absolutely be fired.

Even if you are convinced that Manning is a [Redacted] level coach answering yes on this poll is fucking stupid.

If Wellman retired today and we hired a competent AD there is no way he/she fires Manning. In the same way that he/she wouldn’t have fired Dino.

The correct move is to give Manning a public vote of confidence at the end of the season “because the program is heading in the right direction and Coach Manning has put together an experienced and talented roster next season that is ready to compete for championships.”

If he meets that great. If he doesn’t then everyone knows what the expectations were and that he got a fair shot and couldn’t get it done. Firing a guy right before he has a chance to coach the most talented team he has had by a wide margin is incredibly shortsighted.

Other coaches resented the way we treated Dino and balked at the job, either then or years later, because of it. It would have been far better to let him stumble to a .500 finish with his top 10 recruiting class and then let him go.

I obviously think y’all are wrong on Manning, and have actually backed up my position with data, but even if you are right firing him now makes no sense.

What the fuck kind of millenial bullshit is this that people need to know what the expectations were? The expectation is to fucking win. There is no way that isn't clear. I can guarantee you Manning goes home every night right now feeling like he isn't meeting expectations and fearing he might get the axe.

Our big problem is that firing Manning now means Wellman gets to find another 4+ year albatross for our program.

What the fuck kind of millenial bullshit is this that people need to know what the expectations were? The expectation is to fucking win. There is no way that isn't clear. I can guarantee you Manning goes home every night right now feeling like he isn't meeting expectations and fearing he might get the axe.

Our big problem is that firing Manning now means Wellman gets to find another 4+ year albatross for our program.

so fearful he got a contract extension

Who do you idiots think wellman realistically should have hired instead of Manning?

The better question is "who do you idiots think Wellman would realistically hire to replace Manning?"

Idiots! Coming in hot!

I'm still in the "wait & see" camp w/ Manning, but to pretend that there were zero other coaches available is silly. I don't know "realistic" well, but here is a list of coaches that switched jobs that offseason:
Buzz Williams, Bruce Pearl, Kevin Keatts, Steve Wojciechowski - Agree that none of those qualify as "realistic" as Keatts was just on his way to UNCW that year and the others were either bad fits (Pearl) or not gonna happen (Williams & Wojo).

Here is the list of prominent coaches that were hired elsewhere the next year (eliminating Shaka because no way):
Rick Barnes, Ben Howland, Michael White, Will Wade, Chris Beard, Bobby Hurley

I guess my point is that there are ALWAYS good coaches out there and available... Steve Forbes (ETSU) is a great example of someone that will likely get hired to a better job after this year (or next). Nathan Davis (Bucknell) is also interesting, but perhaps still a step away from an ACC level job.

There are always candidates out there, and any AD that doesn't have a updated list in his pocket at all times is a joke.

Idiots! Coming in hot!

I'm still in the "wait & see" camp w/ Manning, but to pretend that there were zero other coaches available is silly. I don't know "realistic" well, but here is a list of coaches that switched jobs that offseason:
Buzz Williams, Bruce Pearl, Kevin Keatts, Steve Wojciechowski - Agree that none of those qualify as "realistic" as Keatts was just on his way to UNCW that year and the others were either bad fits (Pearl) or not gonna happen (Williams & Wojo).

Here is the list of prominent coaches that were hired elsewhere the next year (eliminating Shaka because no way):
Rick Barnes, Ben Howland, Michael White, Will Wade, Chris Beard, Bobby Hurley

I guess my point is that there are ALWAYS good coaches out there and available... Steve Forbes (ETSU) is a great example of someone that will likely get hired to a better job after this year (or next). Nathan Davis (Bucknell) is also interesting, but perhaps still a step away from an ACC level job.

There are always candidates out there, and any AD that doesn't have a updated list in his pocket at all times is a joke.
Sure but Manning is right in the mix with the guys you mention were also available at the time

Michael White wasn't interested in Wake

I'm just saying that Manning was a pretty good hire at the time and in the strike zone for what could have been a good hire

I'm also Manning wait and see. I think he will be a good coach.

Sure but Manning is right in the mix with the guys you mention were also available at the time

I'm just saying that Manning was a pretty good hire at the time and in the strike zone for what could have been a good hire

Yeah, I actually agree. The more I go back and look at all of the coaching changes from 2014, I don't see anyone that I'd rather have at Wake that made sense at that time. The 2015 list is much more attractive... I know Michael White wasn't coming here, and Beard/Wade would have been a stretch a year earlier, but there are other guys that I didn't mention.

Clearly, Manning is going to get another year and if he doesn't fall flat on his face, more than that. But there are absolutely good coaches out there that will get hired by other programs after this season.

people here are insane.

there was not one (known quantity) good coach that would even answer the phone for Wellman when Manning was hired. i mean you guys put up a fucking billboard to get Bzz fired...i whole heartedly agree about the Bzz firing but the billboard was some chump ass shit, imo. a revolting, small and absent from games alumni...I am actually surprised we got a Manning, who appeared to have potential.

I am still Manning wait and see, but more because i feel we have to. he is here for at least two years imo, and i am hopeful he can improve. glass half-full, maybe, but i can't stand ignoring the seasons like i did with Bzz. not again.

Manning was not a good hire. He was a very meh hire who was riding the wave of winning a shitty conference that it just lost its premier programs. Manning's first year at Tulsa, CUSA had Memphis, SMU, UCF, and Houston. His second and last year there, those schools had been replaced by UTSA, LaTech, FIU, UNT, and ODU. The conference overall sucked so bad that newbie LaTech came in and won the regular season title, then Manning got hot with Tulsa and won the conference tourney. Buzz could've won that shitty conference. But oooh, conference title and all that and Wellman apparently couldn't lure anybody so we got stuck with Manning and Florida got Mike White.

It’s a message to other coaches. When you show up at a press conference and fire your coach of three years for lack of postseason success after he just took the program to back to back tournaments it raises a lot of eyebrows.

If Wellman had come out two years prior and said “We are proud of the work Dino did this year in the face of adversity. I have full confidence that with our returning team and incoming class we will compete for championships for years to come.” Then firing Dino after failing to win an ACC tourney game or get past the first weekend raises far fewer eyebrows.

Do you know what Manning’s expectations are?

there's a tad bit more to Manning's resume than Tulsa

there's a tad bit more to Manning's resume than Tulsa

i agree. you seem to forget that he was also on the Kansas bench for a number of years, making a lot of heads turn with his big man coaching. You can also add his playing experience. there was enough to be interested in Manning.

Back