• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Should Manning be canned at the end of the season?

Shit canning manning?

• Yes

Votes: 53 27.5%
  • No

Votes: 130 67.4%
  • Hire Kenpom & the 7 Dwarves

Votes: 10 5.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I had zero expectations for Manning’s first two years because I understood just how much [Redacted] had destroyed the program. Manning exceeded expectations last year and is not meeting them so far this year. If he doesn’t meet them next year (NCAA tourney at a minimum) he should be fired.

My sentiments also.

I had zero expectations for Manning’s first two years because I understood just how much [Redacted] had destroyed the program. Manning exceeded expectations last year and is not meeting them so far this year. If he doesn’t meet them next year (NCAA tourney at a minimum) he should be fired.

Actually Wellman destroyed the program, but carry on.

No. And after next year, if we can't make a hire that convinces the 2018 class to stay, then we will surely be looking at another 4 - 6 years of losing. We're in this mess largely because we lost 2 classes and had no pedigree to replace them.

Last edited:
Danny is going nowhere after this season barring some bizarre happening.

No. And after next year, if we can't make a hire that convinces the 2018 class to stay, then we will surely be looking at another 4 - 6 years of losing. We're in this mess largely because we lost 2 classes and had no pedigree to replace them.

Without commenting either way on whether we should fire Manning, the argument that we can't fire him because it will just result in more losing is quite possibly the worst that exists. Not only does it ignore the fact that, well, we're already losing, but there are numerous examples of good hires turning programs around in far less time than [name redacted] and Manning have been given to attempt it. The 2018 class is good, but it's replaceable. It only stands out because the previous 8 years have been so bad...but in the grand scheme, it's the type of class that Wake has and should be recruiting. Any good coach will be able to bring in that kind of class. There's nothing to support the argument that losing the 2018 class after next year would doom our program to 4-6 more years of losing.

We are in the mess because Wellman has hired 3 incapable coaches in a row.

Without commenting either way on whether we should fire Manning, the argument that we can't fire him because it will just result in more losing is quite possibly the worst that exists. Not only does it ignore the fact that, well, we're already losing, but there are numerous examples of good hires turning programs around in far less time than [name redacted] and Manning have been given to attempt it. The 2018 class is good, but it's replaceable. It only stands out because the previous 8 years have been so bad...but in the grand scheme, it's the type of class that Wake has and should be recruiting. Any good coach will be able to bring in that kind of class. There's nothing to support the argument that losing the 2018 class after next year would doom our program to 4-6 more years of losing.

I doubt you will find an example of a coach turning a program around faster than [Redacted].

As to Manning, we’ve been over this. Through last year he was actually on a Tony Bennett-like pace for program turnaround. This year has been a turn in the wrong direction for sure, but given the expected success next year the turnaround is probably on an average to above average pace.

/endthread

/enddebate

Wellman thought he had hired Shaka Smart until Hatch screwed us.

Was this the wouldn't put his wife on faculty? thing...

Wellman will not hire young and new. Maybe Tom Crean could rekindle the marquette success.

Who do you idiots think wellman realistically should have hired instead of Manning?

giphy.gif

Without commenting either way on whether we should fire Manning, the argument that we can't fire him because it will just result in more losing is quite possibly the worst that exists. Not only does it ignore the fact that, well, we're already losing, but there are numerous examples of good hires turning programs around in far less time than [name redacted] and Manning have been given to attempt it. The 2018 class is good, but it's replaceable. It only stands out because the previous 8 years have been so bad...but in the grand scheme, it's the type of class that Wake has and should be recruiting. Any good coach will be able to bring in that kind of class.

There's nothing to support the argument that losing the 2018 class after next year would doom our program to 4-6 more years of losing.

First bold: Didn't say we couldn't fire him. Didn't even say we shouldn't fire him. I'm saying if we suck next year and lose a class, be prepared to suck for 4 more years, especially since we would be losing Craw and Moore that year. That is a brutal situation for this mythical, silver bullet, young stud to come into (since we have been so good at luring up and coming coaches to Wake in the past. So yeah, Wellman Out).

Second bold: I just don't see it coming off a decade of cellar-dwelling.

Third: I think we are just going to have to agree to disagree.

Everyone wants a quick fix, but the reality is, if we are bad again next year and we fire Manning (again, not that we shouldn't), I'm betting we will suck again for the following 4 years. I think our point of contention arises from my belief that we will most likely have to be mediocre again for a while before we are really good again. Winning the coaching lottery would be nice, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Last edited:
Taking a program from [name redacted] levels and making the tournament in year three is one thing. Taking that same program to a level where it can sustain year three success after having two players, one a first round NBA draft pick, leave early to go pro is another. We were bound to take a step backward this year. We haven’t had enough consistent recruiting success to survive that yet.

I agree with others here who have said the 2019 class will be make or break for us.

Kevin Keatts is taking NC State to the NCAA tournament in YEAR FUCKING ONE (1) !!!!!!

Taking a program from [name redacted] levels and making the tournament in year three is one thing. Taking that same program to a level where it can sustain year three success after having two players, one a first round NBA draft pick, leave early to go pro is another. We were bound to take a step backward this year. We haven’t had enough consistent recruiting success to survive that yet.

I agree with others here who have said the 2019 class will be make or break for us.

This. If we don’t get a top 8 seed next year and land a couple of 4 star guys in 2019 then Manning probably needs to go.

WITH WAY MORE FUCKING TALENT!!!!!!!

AND WHOSE FAULT IS THAT ? ?? !!!!

KEATS ?/
MANNING???
GOTT ???

IS MANNING NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR NOT HAVING MORE TALENT THAN A TEAM THAT JUST FIRED ITS COACH 12 months ago ?

Back