• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Should Manning be canned at the end of the season?

Shit canning manning?

• Yes

Votes: 53 27.5%
  • No

Votes: 130 67.4%
  • Hire Kenpom & the 7 Dwarves

Votes: 10 5.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
AND WHOSE FAULT IS THAT ? ?? !!!!

KEATS ?/
MANNING???
GOTT ???

IS MANNING NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR NOT HAVING MORE TALENT THAN A TEAM THAT JUST FIRED ITS COACH 12 months ago ?

Gott was one of the best recruiters out there. He got fired cause he didn’t do enough with it. Keatts inherited a roster on average a full star better than Manning did.

I will say it again since apparently y’all can’t read.

It. Is. Manning’s. Fault. This. Team. Isn’t. More. Talented.

It. Is. Manning’s. Fault. This. Team. Isn’t. Performing. To. The. Level. Of. Its. Talent.

Gott was one of the best recruiters out there. He got fired cause he didn’t do enough with it. Keatts inherited a roster on average a full star better than Manning did.

I will say it again since apparently y’all can’t read.

It. Is. Manning’s. Fault. This. Team. Isn’t. More. Talented.

It. Is. Manning’s. Fault. This. Team. Isn’t. Performing. To. The. Level. Of. Its. Talent.

Ah, I can only read one word sentences. Thank goodness someone finally helped me out. Much appreciated, ADShill.

WITH WAY MORE FUCKING TALENT!!!!!!!

Good god you’re blind. I’ve seen state play a few times this season. They’re no more talented than wake is. There’s just one small difference between them and us. Can you guess what it is?

Ah, I can only read one word sentences. Thank goodness someone finally helped me out. Much appreciated, ADShill.

Damn, you have found me out. Wake’s AD is notorious for criticizing a coach when their team sucks. I distinctly remember all those times, during 6 of the previous 7 seasons when our team was worse than this one, when the AD would get on the boards and openly criticize a coach’s performance.

Good god you’re blind. I’ve seen state play a few times this season. They’re no more talented than wake is. There’s just one small difference between them and us. Can you guess what it is?

Their talent. And it’s not that small. Go check State’s recruiting rankings and experience and get back to me. I trust that way more than your subjective evaluation of talent after watching state a handful of times.

I am actually pretty encouraged with this poll. Based on the year we are having, I expected it to be much worse for Manning. Manning deserves the chance to play with the roster he has built. If he doesn't produce next year then he knows it will be a matter of time before he is let go. But the dumpster fire he inherited gives him some extra wiggle room in my book. Anyone comparing the team that Keats inherited to Manning either doesn't know the game of basketball, or is being intentional dishonest about the two situations. It is always surprising how quickly we forget just how bad [Redacted] was.

Would like to see Manning and the staff finish the year off with a few wins though. Our offense is still very disjointed at times, and we have obvious issues on defense as well. It is amazing just how much a difference real talent makes when watching a team execute. Last night when I was watching Chaundee Brown take the ball baseline for a pull up jump shot it made me pine for the future. When you have guys that can not only score when given an open shot, but also when they need to take a few dribbles, it makes everything so much better. Defensively, when you have players that have the capability to man up, and stifle a defender without help, it makes everything better. As we get longer on defense, and more skilled on offense, a mediocre scheme can almost overnight look very competent. Manning still has a long ways to go, but I think we will see a marked difference in our product next year.

He did build this roster.

He did build this roster.

The last two classes are essentially his first two classes. His previous classes were trying to convince kids on a wing and a prayer. 19 will be all on Manning if he isn't able to land a good class, because he is responsible for those early terrible losses (as well as not being able to snag a few of these close conference games), but I don't even consider his first two years when evaluating Manning. He was dealt the poorest hand possible, and he has us on the edge of not only being competitive (which we are right now), but of being a top half ACC team (we are 1 player away from that in my opinion).

Why would we can him and allow Wellman to hire another replacement? At some point, we will have to keep a coach longer than 4-5 years or other coaches will see our situation as a revolving door. Wellman's original mistake was firing Dino after a 20 win season and a 2nd round NCAA exit. That scared away a lot of good hires and left us with [name redacted]. Our program has been irrelevant now for almost a decade. Manning will certainly be here next year with the top 20 class coming in. If we struggles to do anything with it likely in year 2, he will go. I doubt he gets fired before that unless Wellman retires and the new AD cleans house.

As long as Wellman stays, we will have DM until the 2019-2020 season at the earliest, even if he doesn't right the ship

I am actually pretty encouraged with this poll. Based on the year we are having, I expected it to be much worse for Manning. Manning deserves the chance to play with the roster he has built. If he doesn't produce next year then he knows it will be a matter of time before he is let go. But the dumpster fire he inherited gives him some extra wiggle room in my book. Anyone comparing the team that Keats inherited to Manning either doesn't know the game of basketball, or is being intentional dishonest about the two situations. It is always surprising how quickly we forget just how bad [Redacted] was.

Would like to see Manning and the staff finish the year off with a few wins though. Our offense is still very disjointed at times, and we have obvious issues on defense as well. It is amazing just how much a difference real talent makes when watching a team execute. Last night when I was watching Chaundee Brown take the ball baseline for a pull up jump shot it made me pine for the future. When you have guys that can not only score when given an open shot, but also when they need to take a few dribbles, it makes everything so much better. Defensively, when you have players that have the capability to man up, and stifle a defender without help, it makes everything better. As we get longer on defense, and more skilled on offense, a mediocre scheme can almost overnight look very competent. Manning still has a long ways to go, but I think we will see a marked difference in our product next year.

How should I be comparing Keats Year One to Manning ?

Manning Tulsa
Manning Year 1
Manning Year 2
Manning Year 3
Manning Year 4
Manning Year 5
Manning Year 6

How should I be comparing Keats Year One to Manning ?

Manning Tulsa
Manning Year 1
Manning Year 2
Manning Year 3
Manning Year 4
Manning Year 5
Manning Year 6

Manning Year 3 is a fair comparison based on what they inherited.

We gave Manning a bunch of credit for quickly transforming the roster once he arrived and recruiting Crawford, Moore, and Collins the best players on his last 2 teams.

We can’t give him credit for Collins and Dinos and then not count those classes.

We gave Manning a bunch of credit for quickly transforming the roster once he arrived and recruiting Crawford, Moore, and Collins the best players on his last 2 teams.

We can’t give him credit for Collins and Dinos and then not count those classes.

Agreed. But if the 2015 and 2016 classes were flipped we’d be a tournament team right now and people would be expecting a top 25 team next year even if Collins were leaving early.

He deserves as much blame for 2016 as he does credit for 2015, but the roster in 18-19 would look the same either way.

Let Manning lose all his big recruits next year and see how long he lasts !

I can give him credit and do give him credit. He basically had a free pass from year from years 1 and 2. Anything he did in those years recruiting wise was incredible. Additionally, when I am discussing recruiting classes, I guess I mispoke. When I refer to the last two classes I am saying the Chaundee class, and the Hoard class. The Wilbekin class was literally trying to fill a roster. Manning significantly overachieved in the Collins class clearly, and then he underperformed in 16, but I don't even really fault him for that. When he was signing that class we still had almost nothing to recruit upon, and we spent all of our capital trying to lure Giles to Winston. The 17 class of Brown, Sarr, and Melo was Danny's first legitimate class, and the Hoard, Mucius, Wright Jr., and Lewis class is his 2nd.

I am nervous about the 19 class, because we wasted several wins this year, but we are still in the hunt for a lot of talent and am hopeful that Manning and the staff can reel them in. If 19 is a hit, then we are right where I hoped we would be when Manning was hired. We will win 20 games next year in my opinion, and we will make the tournament. The big unknown for me is if we will miss on the 19 class, which would be a major bummer considering how hard Manning has worked on the recruiting trail to get us back to the talent base we need to compete. I fully expect the 2020 class to be rock solid, because we are going to have a lot of success next year.

Back