• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Should Manning be canned at the end of the season?

Shit canning manning?

• Yes

Votes: 53 27.5%
  • No

Votes: 130 67.4%
  • Hire Kenpom & the 7 Dwarves

Votes: 10 5.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I can give him credit and do give him credit. He basically had a free pass from year from years 1 and 2. Anything he did in those years recruiting wise was incredible. Additionally, when I am discussing recruiting classes, I guess I mispoke. When I refer to the last two classes I am saying the Chaundee class, and the Hoard class. The Wilbekin class was literally trying to fill a roster. Manning significantly overachieved in the Collins class clearly, and then he underperformed in 16, but I don't even really fault him for that. When he was signing that class we still had almost nothing to recruit upon, and we spent all of our capital trying to lure Giles to Winston. The 17 class of Brown, Sarr, and Melo was Danny's first legitimate class, and the Hoard, Mucius, Wright Jr., and Lewis class is his 2nd.

I am nervous about the 19 class, because we wasted several wins this year, but we are still in the hunt for a lot of talent and am hopeful that Manning and the staff can reel them in. If 19 is a hit, then we are right where I hoped we would be when Manning was hired. We will win 20 games next year in my opinion, and we will make the tournament. The big unknown for me is if we will miss on the 19 class, which would be a major bummer considering how hard Manning has worked on the recruiting trail to get us back to the talent base we need to compete. I fully expect the 2020 class to be rock solid, because we are going to have a lot of success next year.

I think Manning has a good explanation for the 2016 class (pursuing Giles) but not a good excuse. If you take a risk as a coach and it doesn’t work out you deserve the blame.

The 19’ class worries me because a dud means we will need Chaundee, Hoard, Sarr, and Mucius to all work out and stay 3-4 years.

Let Manning lose all his big recruits next year and see how long he lasts !

Why would he lose his big recruits next year? I don’t see Chaundee going pro next year. I’m hopeful and confident that Doral comes back. We already locked in 2018 class w/ Hoard and company.

I think Manning has a good explanation for the 2016 class (pursuing Giles) but not a good excuse. If you take a risk as a coach and it doesn’t work out you deserve the blame.

The 19’ class worries me because a dud means we will need Chaundee, Hoard, Sarr, and Mucius to all work out and stay 3-4 years.

Completely agree. They made the choice to push in on Giles. 19 is a key class.

Taking a program from [name redacted] levels and making the tournament in year three is one thing. Taking that same program to a level where it can sustain year three success after having two players, one a first round NBA draft pick, leave early to go pro is another. We were bound to take a step backward this year. We haven’t had enough consistent recruiting success to survive that yet.

I agree with others here who have said the 2019 class will be make or break for us.

Agreed

Danny will get the opportunity to coach the guys in his best recruiting class to date next year. And probably the year after.

To a certain extent, he is a victim of his own success in coaching up John Collins from a 3* to NBA mid first rounder in two years. Not the expected trajectory of a 3* recruit. Expected is something like "should be a solid contributor by junior season>"

Danny will get the opportunity to coach the guys in his best recruiting class to date next year. And probably the year after.

To a certain extent, he is a victim of his own success in coaching up John Collins from a 3* to NBA mid first rounder in two years. Not the expected trajectory of a 3* recruit. Expected is something like "should be a solid contributor by junior season>"

giphy.gif

I think the biggest point of this thread is that some of the fan base has vastly different expectations for the program from the other members of the fan base. Tied into that is different views of accountability, and who should be held accountable for the failures of this team.

I think the biggest point of this thread is that some of the fan base has vastly different expectations for the program from the other members of the fan base. Tied into that is different views of accountability, and who should be held accountable for the failures of this team.

I don’t think that’s the point at all. I haven’t heard anyone say that Manning isn’t responsible for his team’s performance or that we should expect the program to regularly go to the tournament and occasionally compete for championships.

Silly question here. You all realize that Mucius is rated about where Moore was out of HS, right? And Manning doesn’t like to play freshmen.

How is this upcoming class going to be so dominant? One borderline 5 star. Awesome. One guy ranked about 80 and 2 guys ranked over 200 by some services.

How is that going to take this team from disastrous to golden? The 5 star will likely only be here one year anyway.

I will be shocked if this team sniffs the bubble next year unless Manning learns how to coach defense over the summer.

What are the chances that year 5 will not feature crazy stupid lineups and guys watching 3-point shots rain down on them.

Some of you guys have serious rose colored glasses when it comes to Manning.

Silly question here. You all realize that Mucius is rated about where Moore was out of HS, right? And Manning doesn’t like to play freshmen.

But year 5 is the one that really counts and Manning turned a 3 star into an NBA allstar and no one could win after BZ and the first 2 years don't count and there is a Tuesday in every week now.

Manning's got this.

There 79 players better than Mucius just like there weren’t a couple hundred ahead of Collins. Hoard is the missing piece. Look at the development of Sarr to be the difference in a bubble team and top top 25 team.

I remember coming off the 2 ACC win season there were plenty of posts about how we were losing 2 of our top scorers and brining in a couple transfers and a backup point guard - and that meant we'd be worse. Instead we went from 2 to 9 ACC wins and made the tourney.

But Collins made a big jump, Arians was a nice outlet for him, and Woods is a solid shooter. We didn't add any elite talent but we added just enough talent in key spots to add 7 ACC wins.

Look at the Miami game. Our entire front court not name Doral Moore - Okeke, Sarr, Mitchell, Thompson - combined to score zero points in the entire 2nd half. Not a free throw. Not a tip in or a put-back or a run-out. Nothing. We at least had a backup for a Collins exit in Moore, but Dinos left us with a night-in, night-out crap shoot at the 4. Every time Mitchell plays well folks post that he should play more - then he puts up a garbage performance like Miami. Sarr is all potential, Thompson is as bland a player as the come.

In one possible world, Manning got fucked this year by one more exit than he could manage, and next year when we add Hoard (and Sarr adds some strength) it's adding significantly better talent than last year's team received but in an equally critical position of need for us. Then we tack on Mucius. Brown takes a step forward, we make the tourney and win a game or 2, Manning has 2 NCAA appearances in 5 years.

In another possible world, Manning tacks on another disappointing year and misses the postseason next year. It proves this year was a lot more than a talent gap due to early exits, he can't get results from a solid team by the numbers, and he has a dud recruiting class come in while losing Crawford, Woods, and Moore - potentially his top 3 scorers.

0% chance you fire outcome A. Pretty solid chance you fire outcome B.

Have asked before with no answer. For the Manning sucks crew, what result next year convinces you that you’re wrong?

KP:
Overall:
ACC:
ACCT:
NCAAT:

That’s a dangerous question for ManningOut people. Either they are shown to be unreasonable or they set a standard that they realize full well Danny may actually attain. I really hope that Crawford doesn’t do anything stupid and leave after 3 years. It would be so Wake Forest for us to lose a 3 year starter for him to go play in Israel, but I guess that is exactly what I should expect to happen.

Crawford stays, Moore stays (as they would for almost every other school out there), we bring in our class, and we will go to the tournament and most likely spend some time in the top 25.

Have asked before with no answer. For the Manning sucks crew, what result next year convinces you that you’re wrong?

KP:
Overall:
ACC:
ACCT:
NCAAT:

Make the tournament (round of 64). Defensive rating in the 70's or below. That's all I ask. Don't think it will happen.

What are the chances that year 5 will not feature crazy stupid lineups and guys watching 3-point shots rain down on them.

Odds of reasonable lineups with guys who can defend the three have will increase with Wilbekin's graduation.

Back