• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Should Manning be canned at the end of the season?

Shit canning manning?

• Yes

Votes: 53 27.5%
  • No

Votes: 130 67.4%
  • Hire Kenpom & the 7 Dwarves

Votes: 10 5.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
His results in the win-loss column over 4 years are unacceptable. If he didn't have a highly ranked class coming in I could see him actually being fired, but people will want to see what he can do with a top 20 recruiting class. I doubt we look much better next year. I predict he will be fired 11-12 months. That or Wellman will just pull his pants down and tell all the Wake alumni that love basketball that they can kiss it.

Yes, but it won’t happen. One more year of underperformance and late game collapses.

Someone should preemptively start a thread where we can list people Wellman should call next year to interview - my initial thoughts are Chris Beard, Ben Howland, Pat Kelsey, and Tommy Lloyd (Gonzaga assistant). I haven't checked analytics, but I'm sure I'm missing some guys with consistently good kenpom stats at lower level programs.

I wouldn't mind Wake taking a shot at Kelsey. I want Manning to succeed but for me the time is next year. If he can't get to 20 wins and the dance next year, CYA!!

I wouldn't mind Wake taking a shot at Kelsey. I want Manning to succeed but for me the time is next year. If he can't get to 20 wins and the dance next year, CYA!!

This bunch wouldn't find 20 wins if you gave them a damn map.

Someone should preemptively start a thread where we can list people Wellman should call next year to interview - my initial thoughts are Chris Beard, Ben Howland, Pat Kelsey, and Tommy Lloyd (Gonzaga assistant). I haven't checked analytics, but I'm sure I'm missing some guys with consistently good kenpom stats at lower level programs.

Chris Beard was a D-II coach 3 seasons ago. Now his team is ranked #7 in the nation. 44 years old.

Sign me up. But we would have to pay big money.

Ugh, yeah, Beard will end up at like UNC or something next. No shot.

Ugh, yeah, Beard will end up at like UNC or something next. No shot.

Right. The trick is getting the next Chris Beard.

Nope. Not at all.

In answer to the poll, if Wellman is gone too then yes, otherwise no way

How could you possibly vote no? How much more fucking data do you need to realize that he can’t coach his way out of a paper bag? This poll is so LOWF shit of the first order....

Even if you are convinced that Manning is a [Redacted] level coach answering yes on this poll is fucking stupid.

If Wellman retired today and we hired a competent AD there is no way he/she fires Manning. In the same way that he/she wouldn’t have fired Dino.

The correct move is to give Manning a public vote of confidence at the end of the season “because the program is heading in the right direction and Coach Manning has put together an experienced and talented roster next season that is ready to compete for championships.”

If he meets that great. If he doesn’t then everyone knows what the expectations were and that he got a fair shot and couldn’t get it done. Firing a guy right before he has a chance to coach the most talented team he has had by a wide margin is incredibly shortsighted.

Other coaches resented the way we treated Dino and balked at the job, either then or years later, because of it. It would have been far better to let him stumble to a .500 finish with his top 10 recruiting class and then let him go.

I obviously think y’all are wrong on Manning, and have actually backed up my position with data, but even if you are right firing him now makes no sense.

Back