• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

"Skin in the game"

Why would you expect Medicare to be ACA compliant? Not many 65+yos need contraceptives or pregnancy coverage. Those are just the low hanging fruit.

Why would you expect Medicare to be ACA compliant? Not many 65+yos need contraceptives or pregnancy coverage. Those are just the low hanging fruit.

One of the big benefits / promises of the ACA was to prevent some of the coverage deficiencies seen in the individual insurance market, most notably setting caps on total financial exposure (aka annual oop limits) and covering essential health benefits. I think there was a lot written about medical bankruptcy and how the ACA would reduce that (a good thing no doubt). Obama often highlighted this.

I was merely pointing out that the question around Medicare's cost share highlights the fact that the govt's own insurance plan (Medicare) wouldn't be an ACA compliant plan because it doesn't have those same consumer protections. I kinda think that's interesting if not a little ironic. Think about it....Employers/individuals are required to offer/buy a plan that is more generous than what the feds offer via Medicare. Fun tidbit.

Also, ~16% of people enrolled on Medicare are under the age of 65.

And yea, “original” Medicare could be made better. Isn’t that part of the premise of part C plans?

And yea, “original” Medicare could be made better. Isn’t that part of the premise of part C plans?

Sorta. I think the idea is/was can private insurers provide a better and / or less expensive product than original medicare. I think they are widely viewed as a better option for some as evidenced by their enrollment and growth rates. Jury out on cost savings for a host of reasons, and the math is really, really complicated and its masked with a lot of rhetoric on both sides of the aisle.

Sorta? I hope nobody signs up for one of them thinking “this sounds worse than regular Medicare”.

But I understand—not always clear the plans deliver.

Sorta? I hope nobody signs up for one of them thinking “this sounds worse than regular Medicare”.

But I understand—not always clear the plans deliver.

I say sorta as when you sign up for Prt C, you largely are giving up A/B. There are lots of ways to make OM better all while keeping OM.

Back