• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

Tubby has been canned at Memphis. I can see him being the older, wiser person on the bench Wake needs to assist Danny. I also see Penny Hardaway, if hired, as being the Gerry Faust of this generation.

A rumor is floating connecting Tubby to the vacant High Point job.

If it happens, don't see Tom Crean to Pitt ending well.

Just goes to show that the companies that now perform coaching searches for universities simply recycle old names. They tried to place Thad Matta to UGA and now Crean to Pitt. Can no one under the age of 50 coach college basketball? Think outside the box. Hire a young up and coming coach, rather recycling an older coach that failed or got worn out some place else.

This also goes to show why it's unlikely Wes Miller, Pat Kelsey or Ryan Odom or similar younger coaches at smaller programs will get a Power V shot until they take high-major job (which is stupid). The coach search agencies are in-bed with the high priced coaching agents and they protect their own. Sad.

Last edited:
I generally agree with you, but Matta & Crean are unusual candidates. I know you think Crean is weird, but I still think he can coach.

It's the hiring of guys like Tubby Smith, Kevin Stallings, and Kermit Davis that I don't understand.

But you absolutely have young coaches getting shots at Power V jobs... Shaka is too obvious, I know... But Mike White & Will Wade are hires that will probably work out well.

BTW, for those that think Tom Crean is the man and Danny Manning is a pile of poop, Manning, with the venerable Trent Van Horn playing 24 minutes (yes, TVH played 24 minutes in that game), beat a loaded Indiana team head to head on neutral court in 2015.

Last edited:
I agree with pilchard that Crean is not as exciting of a coaching hire as some of you make him out to be.

The thing about Crean is that he is incapable of sustaining results. All teams go up and down to some degree but Crean's roller coaster at IU was insane. After inheriting a mess and successfully rebuilding the program (to his credit), he had a team ranked #1 in the country for nearly half the season that won an outright B1G title in a loaded B1G and yet, a year later he was out of the tournament, despite three NBA players on the roster (Noah Vonleh, Yogi and Troy Williams). Then he goes ahead and wins another B1G title, and again a year later, is out of the tournament, despite the presence of Thomas Bryant, James Blackmon, and a host of other top 100 players.

The other thing about Crean is that he can be very self-righteous and unnecessarily petty. That's typically okay if you're winning year in and year out, but when the results are less than great, his personality can wear thin quickly.

The other thing about Crean is that he can be very self-righteous and unnecessarily petty. That's typically okay if you're winning year in and year out, but when the results are less than great, his personality can wear thin quickly.

There is a perception, fueled largely by the timing and circumstances of his firing and not playing nice with the Curry family, that you just described why Seth Greenberg is no longer at VT.

Lots of chatter that Crean and Georgia are starting to talk seriously.

You have to wonder if David Padgett's agent is pressuring U of L to make a decision on him now before all the dominoes have fallen and he's left out in the cold. I don't expect him to land at another Power VI school but there should be enough mid-majors looking that he can get a decent gig a step down on the ladder from where he found himself this year.

You have to wonder if David Padgett's agent is pressuring U of L to make a decision on him now before all the dominoes have fallen and he's left out in the cold. I don't expect him to land at another Power VI school but there should be enough mid-majors looking that he can get a decent gig a step down on the ladder from where he found himself this year.

Padgett has no leverage. If Padgett feels like he needs to take a lesser job for job security, L'ville will let him go. L'ville will decide on its timetable. Not Padgett's.

BTW, for those that think Tom Crean is the man and Danny Manning is a pile of poop, Manning, with the venerable Trent Van Horn playing 24 minutes (yes, TVH played 24 minutes in that game), beat a loaded Indiana team head to head on neutral court in 2015.

The fact that TVH played 24 minutes is the problem.

I agree with pilchard that Crean is not as exciting of a coaching hire as some of you make him out to be.

If Crean isn't a good coach then that's bad news for you and I because it's looking like he could be the next UGA coach.

Padgett has no leverage. If Padgett feels like he needs to take a lesser job for job security, L'ville will let him go. L'ville will decide on its timetable. Not Padgett's.

They should have let him go already after the UVa fiasco.

Adrian Wojnarowski @wojespn 42m
Tom Crean is finalizing an agreement to become the next coach at Georgia, sources tell ESPN.

They should have let him go already after the UVa fiasco.

The cardinal fans I know have a strong feeling that Chris Mack is taking the job. The other rumor I have heard is that Matta is in play for Pitt.

Back